Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 auto-4wd Nissan Xterra and have had the P0011 and P0021 code (IVT Control bank #1/2) for a few month. So far have done the following in an attempt to fix it in order:

New CAM sensors
New IVT Control Solenoid (bank#1 only, just to see if it does anything)
Changed Oil
New Spark plug
New Crankshaft Position sensor and harness connector and checked wiring with volt-meter as per FSM - looks good
Oil level is good and I couldn't locate any intake or vacuum leak

CEL did not turned off and my vehicle ran fine with only a bit of a rough idle, so I just gave up for a few while. However, last night my idle dropped to around 450rpm, which is unusually lower than normal (~600-650rpm), but I didn't think too much of it. Then, while driving a few miles out of my driveway, I hear repeated short burst of squeaking noise, like metal grinding together. I turned off my engine to prevent further damages and investigate a bit, but attempting to restart result in a whining noise and I couldn't restart the engine. I managed to push the vehicle back into my driveway to check it out.

Here's what I noticed so far after the no start condition:

Starter motor works
Drive belt/Crank Pulley does not spin
Drive plate spins when trying to start
I can rotate the drive plate through the viewing port (Is this normal?)
Now, I get a P0340 and P0345 code (CAM sensor bank#1/2), which is probably due to the no-start condition, so that doesn't help. P0011 and P0021 is gone.

I'm suspecting that the pins holding my drive plate to my Crankshaft broke off, but I want to hear what other have to say before I tackle this one. Any ideas?

Otherwise, what's the best way to get to my drive plate to check to see if all of the bolts and pins are in order?

Thanks,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Surf and Snow,

Looks like it's going to be a multi-week long job for someone like me, since I can't really afford a mechanic right now, lol.

I'm guessing the rough idle and P0011/P0021 is caused by the failing flex plate, before its total catastrophic failure. So this was bound to happen sooner or later, ouch :( I'll report back if/when I get it repaired.

Question: should I be worried about orientating the flex plate properly, since the signal plate (for the crank sensor) is attached to it or is it self-orientating/self-calibrating? The FSM is pretty iffy with the installation process.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Okay, I managed to install the new flex plate (took me 5 days + 2 days for parts). It wasn't so bad... I just had to disassemble the entire underbody to push the transmission back about 3", ha! As for orientating the signal plate, there's actually a small hole that fits into the engine side that's not shown on their part illustration, so it's not possible to screw this up.

My Xterra start up fine now, but I'm hit with a P0507 High Idle code. It's probably due to me unplugging my battery for the entire week (why the f*** is the default idle be so bloody high?). My idle is surging between 1500-2000rpm on cold start and 1000-2000rpm after engine is warmed up.

Tried the manual idle air re-learn procedure several times with no luck. Can't even tell if I'm doing the procedure correctly since there's no differences after starting up during this procedure versus starting up normally. "PNP switch on" just mean that I have to put my vehicle in Park, right?

I'm stump for the time being :/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should note that it only surge while in Park and Neutral (it oscillate to 2000rpm every ~1sec). It idles solidly at ~1000rpm while in gear, so it crawls faster than my liking, but is otherwise drivable.

Shouldn't a vacuum leak produce a similar conditions while in gear? I couldn't hear any sucking sound from the engine, so I don't have any suspected areas where the leak may be. I'm going to try the Carburetor Cleaner trick I found online later, but it'll mostly be guesswork.

Thanks,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, fixed :D

I finally managed to get the idle re-learn working. Apparently it couldn't relearn due to the surging. Thinking that I messed up again or it didn't work because it still surge like crazy, I played around with the shifter a bit by switching it to Drive for a few second, which allowed the engine to stabilized just long enough, before switching it to Neutral. Not sure which step caused it to work, but the idle drop immediately to a stable 500rpm (which is below spec, but it'll probably correct itself in a few days). My X is quiet like a sleeping baby now. Magical!!!

Special thanks to Surf and Snow for helping me out!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts