Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 xterra...

Hey guys. I have read through tons of material on the web about xterra's not starting, but I cannot find an answer to my problem. It stalled one day, then started the next. Later that week, nothing. The engine turns over just fine. I have checked the fuel pump fuse and swapped the rear defrost relay with the ecm relay. I even tested the ecm by turning the key on, pushing the door switch 10 times and then turning the key off and back on. It was kind of neat, the horn blew, dash lights flickered and the windshield wipers went nuts for a few. The airtech pump came in yesterday, so I changed it out. Now, new pump and filter, cleaned tank and still no power. The 15 amp fuel pump fuse has power when the car is on, so I jumpered a wire from there to the red wire on the plug at the pump and bypassed the original. Bam! the X starts. So, now why? None of the original wiring has been messed with, and it is all in the original wrap. One wire out of 20???
The X has a bad idle. Will drive, but not fast. When you push the gas, it bogs down. The only codes that I am getting are random misfires. Checked all of the spark plugs (NKG laser Plat) all seem fine. Some carbon build up, but good plugs. Checked for vacuum leaks and found nothing. I swapped out the IPDM with a used one from a wrecked vehicle, and it remains the same. Now with the bypass on the fuel pump wire, the pump does not shut off. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Perhaps a bad relay? Not sure where they are on these, but would imagine it uses one...[EDIT - did a search on the net, as well as the FSM and don't see a dedicated fuel pump relay, but sounds like the ECM relay controls the fuel pump? Not familiar enough with these yet, especially electrical-related, although there needs to be some sort of switch (relay) to control the pump]

Is it running crappy with the bypassed wire, or was it doing that before and perhaps a separate issue?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could not get power to the fuel pump at all, so I bypassed the red wire at the pump with a wire that is fed from the fuel pump fuse itself. I agree with the relay, but I swapped the relay with a different one and I swapped the whole IPDM with one from the junk yard. This had no change. I can only get it to run by the jumper wire to the fuel pump. I wonder if by bypassing it, I am getting to much fuel. It does not seem to be flooding the motor.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Well, when you give the fuel pump more voltage, it will produce more volume (why we bypass the oem relay and wire directly to battery via aftermarket relay; this is more important on forced induction so it can step up per psig of manifold press....funny thing is, that's all those $$$ fuel pump boosters are; the shops sell at big profit :D ), but normally there is a fuel pressure regulator so even if the pressure increased at the pump, should remain the same at injectors; that is, if it's working properly and hooked up...there is also a pressure reg. relay on some vehicles, as well. Not familiar enough with these yet though to say if we do.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
BTW - if you're not getting power at the pump, but yet not tripping a fuse, chances are something may be unplugged...or, wire broken just not grounding itself yet.

Probably be a good idea to trace the lines and start off with the more obvious possibilities first...heck, even a bad ground will cause issues often.

The pump itself could be weak, or on its way out, although they usually just fail...maybe there's a restriction in the fuel line that is overcome by full voltage flow...just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree, that there may be a bad wire, but I dread chasing it! I will start on that this weekend. The pump assembly is brand new, but doing the same thing that the last one did. I was wondering what would cause the pump to not get power? i.e. cps or other... I have to trace the wires just to be sure, but I do not have a diagram, so it will be inch by inch. Thank you for the suggestions

·
Registered
50 Posts
@gtodavidson you ever solve this issue? I am now having the same problem. Happened right after filling up at the gas station. I left it running while filling it up and am glad I did because I still made it home (barely though). Can’t figure out what my issue is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts