Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well , kinda. the heat in my 2008 X works great but only if you're driving. I noticed it when i took a short trip to a friend house to pick him up and while i was parked in front of his house with the truck idling i wasn't getting any heat. Immediately after i gave it a little gas the heat worked fine. Is this normal?? I'm thinking that my water pump may be on it's last leg. The truck has never over heated and the fluid doesn't seem rusty or anything like that. :dontknow:

it has about 75k on it btw

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
You say the pump is out. Don't honk so if your not getting overheating issues.

Sounds like the temp guage is stuck open. This will force the water to run through the radiator and this 'cooling' it down before it can produce heat for your heat exchange. When you run the truck, the temps get hot enough to stay want after the radiator thus heating up the heat exchange.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
on line
2,360 Posts
add more coolant. ill literally bet you a 6 pack on this. paypal ready...
And another 6-pack says you are low on coolant as well.

The clear coolant bottle, often incorrectly called an overflow bottle but is actually a more sophisticated degas bottle, located on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Be careful taking the cap off, it is part of the pressurized cooling loop. Fill it to the max line, maybe a little more. Go drive it. No fancy burping needed, keep the level at the max line and drive it is all that is needed.

When you run a little low on water you get a bubble at the highest point in the cooling system, the top of the heater core. At idle the waterpump isn't spinning very fast and can't push through this bubble of air. By filling it with coolant and driving around you work the bubble out. The degas bottle does exactly what it's name says. Remove gas bubbles from the cooling system. but it has to be full to work, or else it allows gas to enter the cooling system.

You probably didn't even notice I never told you to add to the radiator. Simply put that is the wrong place to add coolant to this engine. That is another high point. the radiator cap is just a cap, not a pressure cap. It is also a high point in the cooling system. Take the cap off and the coolant seeks it's own level, and you just put a big air bubble in the cooling system. Don't do that. It is only used when filling an empty system, not for top offs.

So add some coolant and drive it around. Check it a few times and make sure it fills up and stays full. You may have to add it a few times to get it to stabilize and get all the bubbles out. After that keep an eye out for the level and just keep it filled and the heat will work just fine.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And another 6-pack says you are low on coolant as well.

The clear coolant bottle, often incorrectly called an overflow bottle but is actually a more sophisticated degas bottle, located on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Be careful taking the cap off, it is part of the pressurized cooling loop. Fill it to the max line, maybe a little more. Go drive it. No fancy burping needed, keep the level at the max line and drive it is all that is needed.

When you run a little low on water you get a bubble at the highest point in the cooling system, the top of the heater core. At idle the waterpump isn't spinning very fast and can't push through this bubble of air. By filling it with coolant and driving around you work the bubble out. The degas bottle does exactly what it's name says. Remove gas bubbles from the cooling system. but it has to be full to work, or else it allows gas to enter the cooling system.

You probably didn't even notice I never told you to add to the radiator. Simply put that is the wrong place to add coolant to this engine. That is another high point. the radiator cap is just a cap, not a pressure cap. It is also a high point in the cooling system. Take the cap off and the coolant seeks it's own level, and you just put a big air bubble in the cooling system. Don't do that. It is only used when filling an empty system, not for top offs.

So add some coolant and drive it around. Check it a few times and make sure it fills up and stays full. You may have to add it a few times to get it to stabilize and get all the bubbles out. After that keep an eye out for the level and just keep it filled and the heat will work just fine.

Hot Damn, that's a thorough answer! Thanks :eek:ccasion5:. I'll top her off tomorrow morning. My VW had a pressurized reservoir i didn't know the X had one too, so that's good to know. IDK why but my mind always goes for the worst case scenario the water pump in this case. That type "trouble shooting" has cost me a lot of money and time*.

Thanks to all you guys for a quick response. I was hesitant to start a thread but I have no luck with the search function on any of these forums. I may be using it wrong. I usually just ask Google my question and tab in "second gen xterra" 99% of the time it leads me to the exact post or answer i was looking for (on this forum). This time i didn't find anything

*sold a Golf after replacing damn near everything related to fuel or air and it turned out to be a fuel filter. :violent1:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had this exact same problem.

I noticed my expansion tank was a little low. I filled the tank to the very top (OK, it was dark out) and the problem dissapeared immediately and has not come back, and my expansion tank didn't spew out any coolant after it warmed up.

I know this is weird, but this is my first japanese vehicle.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You say the pump is out. Don't honk so if your not getting overheating issues.

Sounds like the temp guage is stuck open. This will force the water to run through the radiator and this 'cooling' it down before it can produce heat for your heat exchange. When you run the truck, the temps get hot enough to stay want after the radiator thus heating up the heat exchange.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
This JUST happened to mine. I had the same symptoms..just figured it was coolant low or air in the system. But it was the thermostat stuck open.

(And fixed JUST in time for the arctic blast we are apparently going to get!)

·
Registered
103 Posts
This actually the other night when it was -3*. The temp gauge was saying it was hot, but no heat was coming out. Just cold air. After switching on the A/C heat came out. Since then though no problems. My X is only 3 years old so I'm not sure why that would've happened.

·
on line
1,417 Posts
During the winter months, do you keep that link copied to your clipboard? :iconbiggrin:
Yes, :iconbiggrin:. I just added "No Heat" to the title to assist any who may use the search function.

Cheers,
Jeff

1 - 20 of 25 Posts