Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was starting to look into why the audio in my X sucks as much as it does. It is not the Rockford Fosgate system. The person who owned it before me installed an Alpine stereo and Alpine amp, but I'm not sure yet if they upgraded the speakers. What I did just realize however is that there are no front dash tweeters. When I popped the cover off the tweeter holes they were empty. No tweeters, and no wires either.

My understanding is that even the base audio models are supposed to have front tweeters. Does anyone know if some earlier versions maybe didn't have them, and more importantly how difficult would it be to fish wire up there if I were to add some?

Thanks
Nathan

·
on line
8,599 Posts
My 05 OR with RF system has tweeter in the dash. I guessing the original owner removed them cause they suck. Mine popped and were really scratchy sounding. Also my door speakers and sub are RF but the dash tweeters were stock Nissan speakers.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, so I can understand them being removed but I'm still confused why there is no evidence of a wiring harness going up to them. I can't figure out why someone would go through the trouble to yank the speaker wires...

Thanks
Nathan

·
on line
8,599 Posts
The wires may still be there.
Mine are really short and barely long enough to get the speaker out of the hole. They may of just fell down out of sight.
Either way, how is the system wired? U said it has a aftermarket head unit, is it tied into the original RF amp?
If so the EQ is preset on the RF amp and it sucks. Run ur own tweeter wires off the aftermarket head unit and bypass the RF amp.
Then you will be able to have better adjustability for the tweeters.
That's what I did.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The wires may still be there.
Mine are really short and barely long enough to get the speaker out of the hole. They may of just fell down out of sight.
Could be. I'll check a little closer later. I might have to stick a little mirror down the hole to verify.

Either way, how is the system wired? U said it has a aftermarket head unit, is it tied into the original RF amp?
There is an after market Alpine head unit. I don't remember what model, and don't care that much as at some point I'm swapping it out for a newer unit with better Bluetooth and USB/AUX in instead of an ipod connector. It goes to an Alpine MRP-F250 amp under the drivers seat and from there out to the speakers.

I'm not an audio guy, so I'll need to figure out how to wire it in for the best and easiest results. I don't need/want a sub-woofer and will likely be perfectly happy with 4 good speakers plus wiring in tweeters. It was mainly the part about the tweeters and wires missing that has confused me.

·
on line
8,599 Posts
Oh I just realized u said u don't have the RF system.
It may not of came with tweeters.
You will most likely have to run new wire if u want tweeters. It's pretty easy. Just get basic audio speaker wires and run them from the head unit under the dash and up the side of the dash into the tweeter pocket.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
1,739 Posts
It's highly likely the wires are there and just still bound into the wire harness or just sitting out-of-site. Wiring harnesses are universal and are pre-wired for all the options if you have them installed or night. My 06 Off-Road has wiring for the satellite receiver sitting waiting for the unit but it didn't come with one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts