Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-
I am going to attempt a drain and fill on my transmission I have 66,000 miles. I do not seem to have a dipstick. it looks like I have a plug that is held in place with a bolt. I watched a YouTube video on how to drain and fill, and he had the same cap. Why do I not have a dipstick, And how do I check if I have the proper amount of fluid in the car? I was planning on measuring how much comes out and replacing the exact amount but how do I know if I'm already low?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
4,384 Posts
Use a wrench to remove the bolt and wah-la, the dipstick.

There is a bolt rather than a pull ring because Nissan in its infinite wisdom decided that checking ATF fluid is not something the typical owner should be involved with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2012 dipstick missing altogether?

I have a '12 S, but the 10mm bolt-down doesn't seem to be anywhere in sight!! Any clue where they moved this to? For the life of me, I can't see any dipstick tube, anywhere, and not for a lack of trying! Thanks in advance.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
I have a '12 S, but the 10mm bolt-down doesn't seem to be anywhere in sight!! Any clue where they moved this to? For the life of me, I can't see any dipstick tube, anywhere, and not for a lack of trying! Thanks in advance.
Pass side of the engine. IF you have an automatic, it's there. Look for a metal tube with a black 1" diameter cap, with a 10mm bolt on the side.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
IIRC, the top part of the cap is yellow, or thinking my 2011 was. and as others mentioned, you undo the screw and pull it off and check it when running and warmed up and level surface...good idea to go thru the gears a couple times first (P-R-N-D and back) with a little pause in-between.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks Surf and Snow! I know you responded a little while ago, I appreciated that, and have finally found it! Turns out, at least on the '12 automatic, the trans cap bolt-down is located directly underneath a 1-1/2 inch electrical bundle which runs from the fuse box. The bundle totally conceals it from plain view. Thanks again.. much appreciated!

-Craig

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Thanks Surf and Snow! I know you responded a little while ago, I appreciated that, and have finally found it! Turns out, at least on the '12 automatic, the trans cap bolt-down is located directly underneath a 1-1/2 inch electrical bundle which runs from the fuse box. The bundle totally conceals it from plain view. Thanks again.. much appreciated!

-Craig
No prob. Glad you found it. Don't forget you you need to have the engine RUNNING and warmed up when you check it. Best to drive it a bit. Have it parked on level ground.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
The Nissan recommended temperature for checking the ATF level using the hot side of the dipstick is 176 degrees.

I can't remember the recommended temp for the cold side, but I believe it was around 120 degrees.

So if you just run it around the neighborhood real quick and then check the ATF levels...or really even I you just come off the highway...you should be looking at the side of the dipstick marked "cold" as it takes a fair bit of effort to get the transmission up to 176 in my experience.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts