Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This X was totaled on January 4th, 2016.

User name: NixX

Make: Nissan
Year: 2007
Model: Xterra
Trim: Off Road
Color: Black

Trans: 6 Speed Manual
Gearing: 3.692

Rockin’ Stock:

Powertrain
Fully Locked:
  • Locked R180 with Lokka Automatic Locker
  • Stock M226 with stock E-Locker
Stock Manual Transmission (4.368:1 1st gear) and T-case (2.625:1) and differentials (3.692:1) = 42.33:1 final crawl ratio
New U-Joints from Northern Drivetrain
  • Front: 2x SPI-5-1310X Spicer 5-1310X
  • Rear: 1x SPI-5-1330X Spicer 5-1330X
Center Force Dual Friction Clutch, new stock dual mass flywheel
Nissan oil in Transmission and Matic D in Transfer Case, Amsoil synthetic otherwise
Magnaflow 12580 2-in/1-out with custom 2.5" tailpipe and 12" resonator
Rear diff breather extension (Ordered, needs to be installed)
Wish List
4.10 gears for R-180 and M-226

Suspension & Tires
295/75/16 Hankook Dynapro MT's (33.6" dia)
1.5" Rear Wheel Spacers
Removed Front and Rear Sway Bar
Titan Swap: (Installed December 2014)
  • Radflo 2.0 Extended Travel Coil Overs
  • PRG 1.5" Lift Spacers
  • Rough Country Upper Control Arms
  • Stock Moog Titan Lower Control Arms
  • PRG Tie Rod Extensions
  • PRG Extended Stainless Steel Front Brake Lines
  • 12" Travel Billstien 7100 Short Body (180/75), new custom mounting locations.
  • Alcan +~2" (MotorPsycho)
  • Rear Axle 3° Shims
  • U-Bolt Flip Kit, no PRG bash plate
  • Nisstec Adjustable Shackles set to 2" lift
  • Nisstec Extended Stainless Steel Rear Brake Lines
Wish List
Deaver Spring Baja Bushing Kit
FOA 8" travel 2.0 Remote Reservoir Coilovers
FOA 2.0 2" Travel Hydraulic Bump Stops
Ballistic Fab Adjustable Shock Mounts

Armor
Stock Skid Plates
Blue Torch Fab M226 Diff Cover
Custom Sliders
Custom Bumper w/ Integrated Tube Fenders
Wish List
Custom Full Wrap Rear Bumper (Something like this)
Full Set of Hefty Skid Plates

Exterior
Engo ES-9000 Winch
Aurora Dually Driving beam (replacement fog lights)
Pinstripes
Front Windows Tinted to match Rear Factor Tint (previous Owner)
Heated Mirrors
Upgraded Wipers:
Bosch 24A/20A Icon Front
Trico 16-B Exact Fit Rear
Wish List
Full Exterior Bed Liner
Stealth Rims w/ red spoke highlights (like this but with red spokes instead of silver.)
Badge Highlights (red?)

Interior
Pioneer AVH-P3300BT
150# Rear Hatch Strut Upgrade
Upgraded Driver's Lefthand Armrest
Wish List
Upgraded Speakers
Bedlined Rear Cargo Area
Neoprene Seat Covers

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Lokka was fantastic. I found myself getting a bit lazy on the some of the moderate lines early in the week, I could take whatever line I wanted. On Kane Creek and a few others it was a godsend.

I think the 2 best choices for the X are 180/75 and 255/70. I did 180/75. I was running the OME HD leafs and when I talked to PRG Greg. With the stiff spring packs he reccomended the softer valving.

I felt severly limited in the articulation with the 8" travel (0-3" lift) Radflos and the OME HD leafs. I ended up taking the extra leaf off, making it the OME MD leaf pack, and installing 2" lift shackles. It's a little soft now but it flexes great. With the 2" lift shackles the overload leafs are kicking in before I bottom out so it takes bumps at speed like a champ. Its a little squishier than I'd like on sharp highway corners, but I think that has a lot to do with the lift height. I might reinstall the extra leaf to get a little more lift and see how well it stuffs and how the ride feels with softer valving.

I'm currently only getting about 9.5" of travel shaft showing at full droop (one side stuffed, it might be different with both sides drooped). I think that there could be more available with Alcan or Deaver springs. If theres a big advantage with those I might have to change out the springs. Otherwise I'll install revolver shackles and a center limit strap. That will limit straight droop but allow additional articulation.

For now I happy with the performance of the setup, but I know there is room for improvment.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
That is awesome. I cant wait to get the front R180 Air locker. It will be fun to see the capability of the X locked front and rear for me.

So if i'm eventually going to run Alcan springs for 3.5-4" lift and 350+lbs should i choose the softer setting of 180/75?

If i custom mounted and stuffed 12" shocks in the rear is there anyway to get full travel out of them with the alcans and prg shackles?

Are revolver shackles the same as creeper shackles?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
That is awesome. I cant wait to get the front R180 Air locker. It will be fun to see the capability of the X locked front and rear for me.

So if i'm eventually going to run Alcan springs for 3.5-4" lift and 350+lbs should i choose the softer setting of 180/75?

If i custom mounted and stuffed 12" shocks in the rear is there anyway to get full travel out of them with the alcans and prg shackles?
Sounds like you might have a similar setup to what I'll have in the rear, I'll let you know how it works out once I get the shocks relocated here in the next two weeks or so. Something to consider could be the 12" travel short body shocks that Nick is running.

(Oh, and I have the locker in the diff ready to go... along with your trail spare cv's if you want ;)) haha

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Sounds like you might have a similar setup to what I'll have in the rear, I'll let you know how it works out once I get the shocks relocated here in the next two weeks or so. Something to consider could be the 12" travel short body shocks that Nick is running.

(Oh, and I have the locker in the diff ready to go... along with your trail spare cv's if you want ;)) haha
Whats the difference between 12" travel short body and 12" travel standard/remote resi shocks?

Stop pressuring me! Jk lol I need to save some money up again. Moab put a dent in my bank.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I don't know. Depends on what kind of ride you want. I'm really not educated enough to feel like I can offer a good answer. So instead of :pukeright:misinformation I'll remain silent.

Maybe. I know PRG Greg is reporting 11.5" rear travel with custom 2.5" Emulsion 12" travel Radflos and custom springs. I don't know where he's mounting them though.

Honestly, without a pretty unique setup the 10" 7100s in the stock mounting locations would be ideal. I think you'd get full compression and full droop of most springs. You would need to address a couple things like the remote reservoir hose interfering with the body and different size lower mount bolts but you could fit them with minimal modifications. You might even try asking if they'll make them with 90 degree fittings coming out of the shock body and then be able to mount them in the stock locations and only have to change the lower bolts size.

Are revolver shackles the same as creeper shackles?
No.
Creeper shackles allow some rotation of the springs in the mounting points to relieve the stress of the axle twisting them in the middle. The spring will also resist articulation to some degree by acting as a torsion spring when severely flexed.
Advantages: Relieved stress in leaf springs, less likely to fail. Greater articulation (marginally I imagine).
Disadvantages:
The leaf springs hold the weight of the vehicle and also hold the axle in place. You loose some of the side to side rigidity of rear axle. Its worse if the joint is installed in the frame side of the shackle. That is a bad design. It should be on the spring end of the shackle. You could also only install on one end of the spring, probably best in the rear (shackle) side.

They are important when you start getting a lot of articulation. I've been looking at these for my solution:
http://www.deaverspring.com/products/bushings.html
I believe we'd need part number SBA2041 for the Xterra.

Revolver shackles unfold to allow the more droop. The weight of the vehicle holds them "folded" and they act like normal shackles under normal conditions. Once the spring reaches full extension the shackle starts to unfold, allowing the spring and consequently the axle to droop further. They also have a joint allowing the back end of the spring to twist, giving exactly the same advantage (to the rear of the spring) as having a "creeper shackle" or "baja bushing."

The arguments against this is that without the spring force acting on the wheel there will be no actual traction or balance gained from the wheel on the ground. Many claim they are only good for showing off on ramps, not for real applications.

I disagree with this assessment. With a normal shackle after the spring is fully extended and the wheel will start to lift because you can't pull the spring down. With a revolver shackle the drooped side is allowed to fall further. There is a force pushing that wheel down. Obviously the weight of the wheel tire and axle. Also, and more importantly, the stuffed wheel is pushing up on the axle and the stuffed spring is pushing down on the axle. Those forces are not in the same line, so they create a teeter-totter action (moment couple). The stuffed spring acts as the fulcrum and the stuffed wheel's force gets transferred to the drooping wheel. Like anything else there are limits, but there are advantages to be gained.

The disadvantage is they "unload" on steep downhills. The release of the weight of the axle when your a$$ is in the air causes the vehicle to lurch towards its nose. Apparently this can be unnerving for the driver and/or passengers/bystanders/etc.

The solution is a limit strap attached to the center of the axle set at just about the point where the shackles will start to unfold. This will prevent the "unloading" but allow one wheel to droop further if the other wheel is stuffed.

That's ALL theory and hearsay I've gathered from the internets, run through my mechanical engineering BS filter and regurgitated to you.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whats the difference between 12" travel short body and 12" travel standard/remote resi shocks?
Length:

Standard
Travel 12"
Extended Length 31.10"
Collapsed Length 19.53"
VS.
Short Body
Travel 12"
Extended Length 27.68"
Collapsed Length 16.10"

A shorter body allows you to fit a longer travel shock into a smaller space. Right now Xkid is running 12" travel "standard body" Radflos in the stock mounting locations. Ask him about his up travel... :crybaby:

To properly run those shocks he is going to have to do some major work moving those up or install bump stop extensions and sacrifice the fully stuffed position. Ask KaiOtiK (the guy who bent his frame on Hell's Gate... Andy??) about bump stop extensions.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Length:

A shorter body allows you to fit a longer travel shock into a smaller space. Right now Xkid is running 12" travel "standard body" Radflos in the stock mounting locations. Ask him about his up travel... :crybaby:

To properly run those shocks he is going to have to do some major work moving those up
What up travel? haha

As for the shock relocation...There's a lot of room to move the mounts up... 6 3/4" to be exact. I'll probably move them up 6 1/4- 6 1/2" given I won't already be absolutely fully stuffed or at full droop. In that case I'll measure where I'll be fully stuffed or at full droop and go from there. It might take a bit of measuring but I'm definitely going to get as out them as physically possible. When it's finished I should have a pretty decent amount of travel in the rear.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
TNX Administrator
20,252 Posts
FYI: The two 'dl-web.dropbox.com' photo links go to a secure website that requires a password to see.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts