Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
on line
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in my hunt for affordable tires, I have called around to several suppliers and when I explain that I am looking for a capable all terrain tire and have always run BFGs but their prices have gone up too much, I keep hearing the same thing - Nitton Terra Grappler All Terrain (made by Toyo). Each guy has said that they are every bit as good as the BFG's but they are $50-60 less per tire in some places! I saw in Tire Options there is one review with a score of 10. Is anyone else running these? Anyone who has run both Nitton and BFG's that can compare?

·
on line
112 Posts
I wouldn't say they're as good as BFG All-Terrains, but they are a better tire if this is your DD. The Nitto lasts exponentially longer, rides better on the highway, is quieter and smoother, and is not a death sentence in bad weather on asphalt.

·
on line
1,284 Posts
alexrex20 said:
I wouldn't say they're as good as BFG All-Terrains, but they are a better tire if this is your DD. The Nitto lasts exponentially longer, rides better on the highway, is quieter and smoother, and is not a death sentence in bad weather on asphalt.
Exactly, mine have been great in both snow and rain.

·
on line
207 Posts
I have had my Terra Grapplers for about 3 months/3K miles now. Living in MN they have seen some snow and very wet roads and I am very pleasesed with how they handle. They are also nice and quite on the hwy. I have not had much of a chance to get them out on any trails as of yet but before I bought them I read a lot of consumer reports on-line and everyone had nothing but good things to say.

I got mine for $125/tire and free shipping from http://www.4wheelparts.com/ the last week in December. They were running a sale and offering free shipping.

·
on line
127 Posts
I got Yokohama Geolander AT/S tires for something like 129/per which was significantly less than the BFGs.. another good option

·
on line
704 Posts
How to Terra Grapplers behave on rocks? I have been considering Firestone Destination MTs...

·
on line
245 Posts
I think you should check out the General Grabber AT2's also. I think there are a few members on this board who are running them, and they seem very comparable to the BFG AT's.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
How to Terra Grapplers behave on rocks?

I've had mine since October or so. I've had them in a bit of snow, lots of rain, and Sierra back country.

They do OK in the snow, I don't think as well as BFG AT KOs I've had, but well enough.

They do excellent in wet pavement IME. Quite "grippy".

As for rocks, well depends on your definition. Wide open granite faces they do well enough; no sliding on steep inclines. Loose cobbly sized stuff not as well as I recall my BFGs doing on other trucks. Then again the BFGs are a bit wider.

These are not a rock crawling tire. In my opinion they are an excellent value for DD as they're quiet run smooth, behave well on highway and in wet conditions as well as dry. And they do not weigh as much as the BFGs AT in the same size, though a couple pounds more than the OEM Rugged Trails.

While the Nitto site says the 265/75/16s come in at 31.54" mine measure 30.5 (at 35psi). I was a little depressed about that, but I still have 9+" under the rear diff.

Last week at BigO the Nittos and BFG ATs were on sale, but were only $15 less than the BFG ATs. I asked about that and the manager said they have become quite popular and thus the increase.

Overall I'm happy with them; although I'll likely get something a bit more aggresive tread next time around. As long as I can find a tire within the same weight range, etc.

·
on line
1,081 Posts
I'm totally satisfied with mine. I have about 7K on them now and they've done really well for me in the snow. I'm looking forward to getting out to some trails over the summer with them. They behave really well on the street with minimal road noise. So far I haven't had any apreciable wear. No complaints.

·
on line
14,014 Posts
alexrex20 said:
Really? I haven't noticed any higher noise levels in my 33" BFG AT's vs. my stock BFG Radial Long Trails. I have -0- complaints on these tires!

·
on line
610 Posts
miles said:
speakin fo noise my Mickey Thompson MTZ's humm...its music to my ears...
True Dat! You hear my Baja Claws as soon as they start rolling, and humm as you go faster, but thats what I expected and what I was looking for! Music to my ears! I love it!

BUT... they are def not the most affordable tire, actually the opposite, but I got what I was looking for in this tire thus far.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
XKNUT said:
How to Terra Grapplers behave on rocks?

I've had mine since October or so. I've had them in a bit of snow, lots of rain, and Sierra back country.

They do OK in the snow, I don't think as well as BFG AT KOs I've had, but well enough.

They do excellent in wet pavement IME. Quite "grippy".

As for rocks, well depends on your definition. Wide open granite faces they do well enough; no sliding on steep inclines. Loose cobbly sized stuff not as well as I recall my BFGs doing on other trucks. Then again the BFGs are a bit wider.

These are not a rock crawling tire. In my opinion they are an excellent value for DD as they're quiet run smooth, behave well on highway and in wet conditions as well as dry. And they do not weigh as much as the BFGs AT in the same size, though a couple pounds more than the OEM Rugged Trails.

While the Nitto site says the 265/75/16s come in at 31.54" mine measure 30.5 (at 35psi). I was a little depressed about that, but I still have 9+" under the rear diff.

Last week at BigO the Nittos and BFG ATs were on sale, but were only $15 less than the BFG ATs. I asked about that and the manager said they have become quite popular and thus the increase.

Overall I'm happy with them; although I'll likely get something a bit more aggresive tread next time around. As long as I can find a tire within the same weight range, etc.
Great post, XKNUT! I have been wondering about these tires, especially compared to the BFG AT's, and glad to see a detailed post from someone you has run both. Thanks for chiming in!

·
on line
4,593 Posts
Great post, XKNUT! I have been wondering about these tires, especially compared to the BFG AT's, and glad to see a detailed post from someone you has run both. Thanks for chiming in!

Keep in mind that I have not run the BFGs on my Xterra; but on previous trucks, a '97 Yukon and an '90 Trooper (both 4wd and used as such).

I also do agree with Txterra37 about the lack of an aggressive look. The BFGs do look more aggressive; but I think that is simply because of the tread coming further down the side of the tire.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
I love the Mickey Thompson Mtz's....they are expesive, and noisey, but everything I threw at it, it conquered and destroyed. Will I buy another set...probably not because my X is my daily driver and my MTZ just are a waste to drive al the time. BFG ATko's is the way I am going next.

·
on line
53 Posts
I read so much good stuff on these tires so i bought them, (usually buy BFG all terrains) and they are alot louder than i thought they would be. But like all things in life you get what you pay for! Go for the bfg's.
I am running 285/75 16

·
on line
1,284 Posts
Schlitzy said:
miles said:
speakin fo noise my Mickey Thompson MTZ's humm...its music to my ears...
True Dat! You hear my Baja Claws as soon as they start rolling, and humm as you go faster, but thats what I expected and what I was looking for! Music to my ears! I love it!

BUT... they are def not the most affordable tire, actually the opposite, but I got what I was looking for in this tire thus far.[/quote

I'm thinking of going with Baja Claws next. How are they holding up? What size did you get and can I see a picture of them on you truck? The good news for me is, my dad owns a tire and muffler shop so I can get them at his cost.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts