Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've been trying to get a hold of you guys for a full month now. I bought the OME HD kit (add a leaf on the rear) and after gutting the suspension and installing everything we noticed that the front shackle had sheered it's bolt--either is came that way or happened sometime during the install, we don't know. Aside from that, the whole leaf pack pops and snaps during certain angles and cornering....

Three voice messages (including one yesterday where I called 4 times throughout the day) and two emails over the last couple of weeks. Not a reply back even though I see that the other thread in here was closed. What's going on????

I ended up welding the shackle in place (voided any return or warranty I am sure) so it's stop moving about so that's taken care of, but I wish I hadn't had to do that. I also wish I could get the packs to shut up!

Anyways, disappointed in both product and communication at this point. If you guys need help fixing your phones and/or server situation I can help...you know, if you ever get a chance to call me back.

I can live with it welded in place and I guess I'll figure something out with the popping (re-grease the whole thing or something?), but just wanted to let others know that this whole event has not gone over nearly as smooth as advertised, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I was one of the people who were having communication issues. I was able to get ahold of them shortly after they posted up in that thread that is locked. they were able to shipp out the part that I needed. not sure what els to say to help.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What the heck? Good to know that others are doing fine, just peeved that this has gone on this long. :sigh: I guess I'll just figure out what the hell is wrong with this one leaf pack...just wish i wouldn't have to take the sucker apart again...

·
on line
1,417 Posts
I can't help with the communication problem.

On the leaf spring problems maybe I can offer some help. "the front shackle had sheered it's bolt" and "I ended up welding the shackle in place", I'm confused by your description. There are only shackles at the rear of the leaf springs and what did you actually weld? If it's the shackle, did you get the option ones that can be greased?

I the U-bolts from OME seem to loosen over a period of time and need to be re-torqued. If they're loose there will be movement and noise. I ended up using vinyl tubing on the spring retaining brackets, the plastic inserts were cracked and loose.

The springs stayed aligned with the tubing in place. The tubing has held up well in use.

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
373 Posts
I will just mention that I can't get any response from prg, their phone lines are dead and no email response. I don't know where they are located but maybe they were effected by snow storm?

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I can't help with the communication problem.

On the leaf spring problems maybe I can offer some help. "the front shackle had sheered it's bolt" and "I ended up welding the shackle in place", I'm confused by your description. There are only shackles at the rear of the leaf springs and what did you actually weld? If it's the shackle, did you get the option ones that can be greased?

I the U-bolts from OME seem to loosen over a period of time and need to be re-torqued. If they're loose there will be movement and noise. I ended up using vinyl tubing on the spring retaining brackets, the plastic inserts were cracked and loose.

The springs stayed aligned with the tubing in place. The tubing has held up well in use.

Cheers,
Jeff
Thanks Jeff,

Only one? I have two: front and back, on both of the packs. Here's a pick showing you the front facing one I am describing. I think it's a legit fix, I just wish i could get the clunks and pops fixed.

EDIT: and I re-torqued the U-bolts twice now. Lost some lbs' after the first round, but bumped up beyond the recommended 57lbs due to reading other related threads.

·
on line
1,417 Posts
Thanks Jeff,

Only one? I have two: front and back, on both of the packs. Here's a pick showing you the front facing one I am describing. I think it's a legit fix, I just wish i could get the clunks and pops fixed.

EDIT: and I re-torqued the U-bolts twice now. Lost some lbs' after the first round, but bumped up beyond the recommended 57lbs due to reading other related threads.
I understand now. From the picture it looks like you may have drug the leaf pack over a rock. The leaf the bracket is attached to, the bracket, and the lower leaf have impact and scrap marks.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry, but no way I did. It came straight out of the box onto the rig in the mechanic's garage. We only noticed it was busted after we had the other side on and had already done the front, hence we weren't sure to put in on or not. I guess in retrospect I could've just shipped it back...but then I wouldn't have had a vehicle. I couldn't get a hold of Nisstec that day, nor since.

·
on line
1,417 Posts
Sorry, but no way I did. It came straight out of the box onto the rig in the mechanic's garage. We only noticed it was busted after we had the other side on and had already done the front, hence we weren't sure to put in on or not. I guess in retrospect I could've just shipped it back...but then I wouldn't have had a vehicle. I couldn't get a hold of Nisstec that day, nor since.
I believe you. It just looked like there had been some contact on the leaf and the bracket.

Something else I do is power wash the leaves after driving in sandy and dusty conditions. At least when the tires are rotated and more frequently if needed, I spray DuPont Teflon dry lubricant between the leaves with the frame lifted enough for the leaves to hang free. This is more for squeaking and rubbing noises though, not clunks and pops.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 22 Posts