Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before this happened, I replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor under the passengers side tire because it was really going out all over the place. After it was installed, it worked normally until I went on a 400 mile trip. Going up a steep hill, it started kind of shaking. Got home and let it rest. 2 days later, it would crank for about 4 seconds, get RPM's up to 2000 and press the gas to get it started up.

Just yesterday, I decided to replace the Camshaft sensor, I had to pry the old Camshaft off because it was very hard to get away from the connector. Before I installed it was just the normal 4 second crank plus add gas pedal but now since I've replaced it...it just cranks and won't start. I reinstalled the old one thinking I got sold a crappy camshaft but still nothing. I really think I pulled something and can't think of anything else.

I cleaned the engine oil that you stick the camshaft sensor into...not sure if I was suppose to do that. Added some engine oil around the ring of the new camshaft.
I also check the fuel pump, its good.
Have a strong engine.
No problems with anything else besides the camshaft sensor.
My X is stuck at my sisters house 40 miles away so not sure how to get it to a mechanic. Tomorrow (Thursday) I am going to go back and check on it. Any advice on how to get it to start will help, thanks!

· Registered
2,783 Posts
Just yesterday, I decided to replace the Camshaft sensor, I had to pry the old Camshaft off because it was very hard to get away from the connector. Before I installed it was just the normal 4 second crank plus add gas pedal but now since I've replaced it...it just cranks and won't start. I reinstalled the old one thinking I got sold a crappy camshaft but still nothing. I really think I pulled something and can't think of anything else.
Is the replacement sensor an aftermarket one or OEM? If not OEM, then get an OEM one. Also you said you had to pry off the connector from the sensor. Are you sure you didn't damage the connector?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I bought an OEM because I've read that non OEM's are not good. Yep I did pry if from the connector with a flat-head screw driver but I did check the connections after and all three wires plus the connection where not broken. I realized today that the security light is flashing and beep twice when trying to start the car. Getting the camshaft off, I took no chances and as everyone else does before messing with electrical systems...unhooked the negative battery cable. All I know is when I tried to start the X, in the middle of cranking it, the security light would blink and beep. So yeah, I'm not sure if thats a sign.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just the bank one sensor, bank 2 sensor is still on its way. I bought this X from a local car dealer will probably I might have to get the key replaced. It came with only one key and no key fob.

· Registered
1 Posts
Did you get anywhere with this? I was getting a P0340 code and only changed the one position sensor and now she only cranks. It seems like the X is refusing to throw a spark. I need to see if I'm getting the same security light as you.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To anyone reading this thread, I had the crank shaft sensor replace since it was faulty and the left and right bank camshaft position sensor behind the engine and on driver side of engine, was a pain so I took it to the auto shop and had them do it. It fixed the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts