Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Just came across this...

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/nissan-unveils-revolutionary-engine-to-complement-electric-zeod-rc-powerplant

Looks like an awesome little engine. I wonder if they could scale it up for use in light trucks.
You can bet that little thing will have to rev pretty high to produce the power they are claiming. I would much rather see a diesel with less horsepower and more low-end torque. The redline on that engine is over 7,000 RPM, it would suck for crawling.

·
on line
3,171 Posts
These little powerplants are the way of the future for sure. Engines like this and the Pentastar really need to start making their way into more vehicles. European cars have had strong little engines for a long time. BMWs and Audis with 1.6 and 1.8L engines are fast and can accelerate damn quick for such little engines. I really don't know why so many car manufacturers keep using 4L+ engines.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
hmmm... very interesting. I imagine the consumer model would make somewhat less hp. I wonder what the low end torque looks like. With the turbo, it might be pretty high numbers.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Article states the engine will produce 380nm of torque, that converts to 280.2 ft lbs. There was no information as to where the torque curve peaks, but that is pretty good for an engine that could fit in a suitcase.

·
on line
3,171 Posts
Pentastar is pretty gutless...
Uhhhh, a 3.6L pentastar pushes 305hp... Smaller engine than the xterra's 4.0L, more hp and more torque... So how do you figure its gutless??? What do you base that comment on?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Article states the engine will produce 380nm of torque, that converts to 280.2 ft lbs. There was no information as to where the torque curve peaks, but that is pretty good for an engine that could fit in a suitcase.

Yep. I skipped right over the torque numbers for some reason.... 280 ain't too shabby.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
Uhhhh, a 3.6L pentastar pushes 305hp... Smaller engine than the xterra's 4.0L, more hp and more torque... So how do you figure its gutless??? What do you base that comment on?
Posted via Mobile Device
I base it on being a peaky engine, with a RPM band that isnt suited for trucks. 305 HP isnt a giant achievment. The Xterra 4.0 makes more TQ then the Pentastar and it does it sooner... by 5-800 RPM. I wasnt even comparing it to the VQ40DE... And your 305HP figure is only applicable to the Challenger.... and honestly, a v6 Challenger is like pissing in the wind.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Posted via Mobile Device

I owned a Charger with the last 3.5L engine. 250hp/250lbs-ft... Gutless suits it quite well.

One thing you have to keep in mind is that there is no law requiring auto makers to publish accurate hp and tq numbers. Case in point - the last car I had was a BMW 335i, which BMW rated at 300hp/300lbs-ft. On a dyno, they commonly put down around 270rwhp to the rear wheels... There is simply no possible way that the engine was putting out only 300hp. Most magazines said that BMW notoriously under-rates its output and the 335i was really putting out in excess of 330hp. Chevy rates the SS Camaro at 426hp. Dynos (Dynojet) commonly put it at about 330rwhp. I raced a stock Camaro SS automatic (my 335 was an auto as well) and I beat the guy and shut down at over 110 mph. His car weighs about 300 lbs more...

Using just advertised numbers a 426 hp 3800 lb Camaro should walk all over a 300hp 3500lb 335i... but that's not the case...

The bottom line is that advertised peak hp and tq numbers are unreliable. The only way to really see if an engine performs is running it on the drag strip. Dynos vary too much. Drag times are much more consistent (assuming the drivers aren't idiots)

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
The 3.5l wasn't a good fit for the charger. They weigh 4k lbs. also most of them only had a 4 speed auto and tall gearing.

It shouldn't be compared to a pentastar though. They are in no way related and they were built by different companies. Daimler Chrysler was complete ****.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
I owned a Charger with the last 3.5L engine. 250hp/250lbs-ft... Gutless suits it quite well.

One thing you have to keep in mind is that there is no law requiring auto makers to publish accurate hp and tq numbers. Case in point - the last car I had was a BMW 335i, which BMW rated at 300hp/300lbs-ft. On a dyno, they commonly put down around 270rwhp to the rear wheels... There is simply no possible way that the engine was putting out only 300hp. Most magazines said that BMW notoriously under-rates its output and the 335i was really putting out in excess of 330hp. Chevy rates the SS Camaro at 426hp. Dynos (Dynojet) commonly put it at about 330rwhp. I raced a stock Camaro SS automatic (my 335 was an auto as well) and I beat the guy and shut down at over 110 mph. His car weighs about 300 lbs more...

Using just advertised numbers a 426 hp 3800 lb Camaro should walk all over a 300hp 3500lb 335i... but that's not the case...

The bottom line is that advertised peak hp and tq numbers are unreliable. The only way to really see if an engine performs is running it on the drag strip. Dynos vary too much. Drag times are much more consistent (assuming the drivers aren't idiots)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
209 Posts
Honestly any upgrade to the hp and torque would be great. I feel like Nissan has just settled on the engine and not tried to upgrade it.

·
Registered
7,713 Posts

300 lbs = roughly 3 tenths in the quarter. The SS Camaro is about an even match for the 335i in the quarter. For what it's worth, autos don't get the 426 hp rating , the engine is actually different l99 for the auto, LS2 for the 6speed.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Nissan turned to new lubricants partner Total to help develop the engine. The French lubricants manufacturer has worked closely with Nissan engineers to develop fuel and lubricants to maximize the potential of the engine.

For those of you that already hate Matic S and HOAT coolant, this will not be the engine for you :)

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Posted via Mobile Device
It doesn't have much low-end, a complaint I've heard from many who have driven the Pentastar Wrangler.

·
on line
3,171 Posts
I base it on being a peaky engine, with a RPM band that isnt suited for trucks. 305 HP isnt a giant achievment. The Xterra 4.0 makes more TQ then the Pentastar and it does it sooner... by 5-800 RPM. I wasnt even comparing it to the VQ40DE... And your 305HP figure is only applicable to the Challenger.... and honestly, a v6 Challenger is like pissing in the wind.
Guess I should have specified, I'm talking about the 3.6L Pentastar V6, which is an option for the Ram 1500 now and mated to an 8-speed tranny that has some tall first gears. Not the old 3.5.

And engines aren't suited for trucks, they're suited for the driver's needs. Someone who doesn't tow and only needs a truck for ikea furniture, large equipment and light loads will be fine with a V6. Someone who tows or carries heavier loads will want the V8. Simple as that. :salute:

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
Guess I should have specified, I'm talking about the 3.6L Pentastar V6, which is an option for the Ram 1500 now and mated to an 8-speed tranny that has some tall first gears. Not the old 3.5.

And engines aren't suited for trucks, they're suited for the driver's needs. Someone who doesn't tow and only needs a truck for ikea furniture, large equipment and light loads will be fine with a V6. Someone who tows or carries heavier loads will want the V8. Simple as that. :salute:
Once again... wrong. VQ40 still has more TQ. If you think manufactures don't spec engines for trucks, I don't know what to say...
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 30 Posts