Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2017 crew sv
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI...
For those out there with a companion Frontier, Titan, or Pathfinder models, a few recalls have just been issued.

Pathfinders have a hood latch issue on 2013-2016 model years.
Titan and Frontiers with the 9-speed have a problem with Park not holding, so use your parking brake until it gets fixed.

The Xterra's are not included, but a fair number of folks have a few Nissans in the driveway.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
You must go thru a lot of tin foil for all those hats, lol. Smh
Well known phenomena - the government announces unpopular or embarrassing info at times people are busy, like 9PM on Friday night - all admins, all agencies. Been going on my whole adult life at state and federal level so I assume its always been that way and they teach it in communications school.

The fact you aren't aware proves it works. Shake your head if you wish.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Publicly owned companies do the same. The shareholders are usually so disappointed with the actual news, they do not protest the way the information was communicated. Other than the usual snide remarks and cynicism.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Publicly owned companies do the same. The shareholders are usually so disappointed with the actual news, they do not protest the way the information was communicated. Other than the usual snide remarks and cynicism.
I tell my wife I spent all the grocery money on car parts when she is asleep. Somehow she remembers when she wakes up?

·
Registered
2017 crew sv
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You must go thru a lot of tin foil for all those hats, lol. Smh
I appreciate that in order to make that tin foil hat,
the manufacturer must deal with federal agencies like
OSHA
DOL
BLS
IRS
SSA
OFCCP
OWCP
EEOC
EPA
to name a few. Plus the equivalent state agencies.
So those with at least half a brain just say vuck it, make it in china.
And if you think tin foil is bad, try making cars/trucks.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Well known phenomena - the government announces unpopular or embarrassing info at times people are busy, like 9PM on Friday night - all admins, all agencies. Been going on my whole adult life at state and federal level so I assume its always been that way and they teach it in communications school.

The fact you aren't aware proves it works. Shake your head if you wish.
My point is that recalls are typically mailed out to owners notifying them long after they're announced. Not everything is a government conspiracy. Only nerds like us follow this kind of news, the general public is informed by mail outs.

·
Registered
2017 crew sv
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My point is that recalls are typically mailed out to owners notifying them long after they're announced. Not everything is a government conspiracy. Only nerds like us follow this kind of news, the general public is informed by mail outs.
Ford recalled like 3 million cars a few weeks back, same thing, slipping out of park.
That happened to them 30 years ago, when they recalled 20 years worth of cars, something like 25 million cars, same problem.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I just think it's comical that a giant worldwide company can mass produce millions of vehicles every year and people lose their minds and claim government cover ups when things aren't perfect. My dad was one of those - bought a Ford 500 brand new, put over 200k on it and complained that it was a terrible car because he had to replace a couple of control arms and the gauge cluster. About $1500 work of work in over 200k miles. That seems pretty damn good to me.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Nope - Nissan is publicly traded. Go search through the news threads on any automotive stock - recalls hurt stock prices because they cost money = lost profits. See westslope's post.

corporations and government not much different. All government agencies ultimately report to an elected official. Elected officials only job is to get re-elected so they promote the positive and downplay the negative. Politics 101 = communications 101. Stock price / vote count - same function depending on your employer.

There is no conspiracy, no tinfoil hat needed.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Titan and Frontiers with the 9-speed have a problem with Park not holding, so use your parking brake until it gets fixed.

that doesn't sound like a cheap fix. how can you fix that without either tearing open the trans to replace or "fix it, or just replacing it?

·
Registered
827 Posts
OFF-TOPIC?

corporations and government not much different. All government agencies ultimately report to an elected official. Elected officials only job is to get re-elected so they promote the positive and downplay the negative. Politics 101 = communications 101. Stock price / vote count - same function depending on your employer.
Yes. Share price performance influences how share holders vote.

This kind of behaviour certainly does get in the way of transparency and accountability. It is also a little risky. Hence, the more contemporary push to get out in front of negative news early. In both public and private sectors.

Politicians who sit on news or do their best deny it or talk around it can find themselves vulnerable. See UK prime minister Boris Johnson's recent resignation as an example.

Sweeping bad news under the rug in the resource sector can be an equity market kiss of death. Especially in a world where social media plays an increasingly important role. Some retail investors are actually quite knowledgeable and experienced. They do not face the same incentives as financial street analysts and pundits to play along with underperforming management.

The best companies are quick to release and by doing so manage to retain far more control over the narrative than otherwise might have been the case.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
OFF-TOPIC?

Yes. Share price performance influences how share holders vote.

This kind of behaviour certainly does get in the way of transparency and accountability. It is also a little risky. Hence, the more contemporary push to get out in front of negative news early. In both public and private sectors.

Politicians who sit on news or do their best deny it or talk around it can find themselves vulnerable. See UK prime minister Boris Johnson's recent resignation as an example.

Sweeping bad news under the rug in the resource sector can be an equity market kiss of death. Especially in a world where social media plays an increasingly important role. Some retail investors are actually quite knowledgeable and experienced. They do not face the same incentives as financial street analysts and pundits to play along with underperforming management.

The best companies are quick to release and by doing so manage to retain far more control over the narrative than otherwise might have been the case.
I see what you're saying, but I think you're over sensationalizing things a bit.

A manufacturer admitting a design flaw, issuing a recall, reaching out to owners via mail in recall notices, fixing these issues FOR FREE, isn't always considered a negative thing. IGNORING the problem is what pisses people off. Like not issuing a recall for faulty radiators that kill transmissions. The only people outraged for them announcing things on Friday's or holiday weekends are people that are just looking to be upset at something anyway.

It's ridiculous to expect a manufacturer to build millions of cars with zero issues. Too many people expect perfection these days.

·
Registered
2017 crew sv
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A manufacturer admitting a design flaw, issuing a recall, reaching out to owners via mail in recall notices, fixing these issues FOR FREE, isn't always considered a negative thing. IGNORING the problem is what pisses people off. Like not issuing a recall for faulty radiators that kill transmissions.
If it's a safety or emission related problem, the manufacturers are forced to issue the recall. They aren't doing this voluntarily.

If your paint is peeling, seats falling apart, radiators leaking, transmissions failing, etc on your relatively new vehicle, then that is up to the company to decide whether to do a "customer satisfaction campaign". You can do your own research to see Nissan's record on that.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
If it's a safety or emission related problem, the manufacturers are forced to issue the recall. They aren't doing this voluntarily.

If your paint is peeling, seats falling apart, radiators leaking, transmissions failing, etc on your relatively new vehicle, then that is up to the company to decide whether to do a "customer satisfaction campaign". You can do your own research to see Nissan's record on that.
Well, lets see. Smod. timing chain guides. 2 spider gear diff's. Peeling paint. ECU relay / IPDM to get started.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I see what you're saying, but I think you're over sensationalizing things a bit.
I believe that you making connections I did not make.

Major auto manufactures selling into the US market have been under considerable scrutiny by consumer activists and ultimately regulatory agencies for many decades now. Overall, they tend to be forthcoming.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts