Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The subject pretty much sums it up.

I have chips and rust spots in the front part of my hood. Ive only had it since October its under a year and already with that crap!!

I am kinda pissed. The paint also scratches really easy. I am just kinda pissed in general that they put such a crap paint on a vehicle that is supposedly made for offroad.

My friend has a 350z and he says tons of people complain about the paint on them on the forum he frequents. I guess I just wanted to see if other people have similar problems and want to b*tch about it to make me feel better.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Not sure, I am scratched really good, but can't say I have any chips.

And to be honest, it's not just Nissan, most vehicles have crappy paint these days, though it's much better than the paint of the late 70's early 80's.

·
on line
85 Posts
Yep. Every forum I've been a part of has had complaints on their specific make's paint. Subarus, VWs, etc.

If you are super concerned, get a clearbra on the front and hopefully that will stop your worrying.

Chips and rust are part of owning a car...

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i too have chips and small rust spots on my hood....and the sad part is nissan won't fix it under warrenty because it's wear and tear from the road.

only thing to do is get the rust out and slap some touch up paint on it.

·
on line
60 Posts
the paint does suck on the X. i have 3 little rust spots on the rear door. brought it to nissan and they did nothing.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
I had an '01 X before this and the paint on that seemed much more durable.
lol, I was about too (and still will) post the Gen1s got a few knocks on paint quality too. I can't complain, I had an '01 yellow X, and it was severely scratched and dented from trail abuse, but never showed any signs of flaking/chipping, and certainly no rust.

Shadow, who are you on XOC?

·
on line
1,206 Posts
Well I have no chips or rust but the paint does scratch very easily... I mean it should stand up to branches and rocks right? lol. No but it does seem to scratch alot easier than other vehicles.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Its a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry thin coat of paint they gave us. I got a scratch from some ******* in a grocery store parking lot, went right to the steel under the paint. The guy at the body shop who tried to fix it up said that car companies are cheaping on the paint now a days. So i used the touch up paint and its cool.

Im getting close to rhino lining the whole damn truck.

·
on line
1,206 Posts
mcampana said:
Its a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry thin coat of paint they gave us. I got a scratch from some ******* in a grocery store parking lot, went right to the steel under the paint. The guy at the body shop who tried to fix it up said that car companies are cheaping on the paint now a days. So i used the touch up paint and its cool.

Im getting close to rhino lining the whole damn truck.
Haha your telling me!

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Only one chip on mine so far, but I am sure there will be more. Need to get some touch up this week to finally fix it.

·
on line
807 Posts
Yep, its pretty much all paint on newer vehicles. The formulations that used to be used are now considered bad for the environment, so now we are left with crappy paint.

·
on line
376 Posts
SHADOW said:
I have no chips or rust yet but it does seem the paint will scratch with the slightest mistouch.I had an '01 X before this and the paint on that seemed much more durable.
Same here I had an 01 also and paint WAS more durable.......sigh .....oh well
My 06 is a much better truck though.....the engine is 1000% better. SO I wont complain.

·
on line
4,495 Posts
Paints have supposedly been pansified over the years to be more enviromentally friendly during the manufacturing process of the paint and the spraying of the auto.

Not to mention 3 light coats looks better to the pencil pushers than 5 heavy coats.

·
on line
262 Posts
I have a new 08 and just noticed a rust bubble in the paint behind the back driver side window. Hoping that they will repaint it because I only have 2500 miles on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts