Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2006 Off Road
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of switching to a high quality fully synthetic oil. My 2006 rig only has only 36,000 original miles. If I do switch, is there a difference between Nissan OEM oil filters for dino oil and fully synthetic oil?

· Registered
3,359 Posts
Yes you can use pretty much any filter with synthetic oil - including the OEM. I would say vice versa but you really can't buy mineral based oil anymore. Even the oil not labeled that way is now semi synthetic - pretty much has to be to meet the new ILSAC 6A specifications.

· Registered
2006 Off Road
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes you can use pretty much any filter with synthetic oil - including the OEM. I would say vice versa but you really can't buy mineral based oil anymore. Even the oil not labeled that way is now semi synthetic - pretty much has to be to meet the new ILSAC 6A specifications.

Thanks! Interesting video. I think you couldn't really go wrong with the Bosch or Nissan filter.

· Registered
165 Posts
I almost always run Nissan filters (15208-9e01a) on my trucks. They are well made filters and they sell them at a decent price (I usually bulk order online, and get them with the drain plug washers), plus Nissan can't argue any warranty issues with their own parts - which is important to me as my '19 Frontier is still covered under the powertrain warranty. I also always run full synthetic oil, most often Mobil 1, been doing so for years.

Filters labeled "synthetic" are really just referring to the material the filter media inside is made of, and not what type of oil the filter is designed to work with. "Synthetic" media filters are supposed to last longer to be used in extended service intervals that you typically get with synthetic oils... supposedly.

In my opinion, it's more important that the filter has a good anti drainback valve, and either plastic, or preferably metal end caps inside, and not paper end caps like a certain orange filter.

· Registered
2006 Off Road
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I almost always run Nissan filters (15208-9e01a) on my trucks. They are well made filters and they sell them at a decent price (I usually bulk order online, and get them with the drain plug washers), plus Nissan can't argue any warranty issues with their own parts - which is important to me as my '19 Frontier is still covered under the powertrain warranty. I also always run full synthetic oil, most often Mobil 1, been doing so for years.

Filters labeled "synthetic" are really just referring to the material the filter media inside is made of, and not what type of oil the filter is designed to work with. "Synthetic" media filters are supposed to last longer to be used in extended service intervals that you typically get with synthetic oils... supposedly.

In my opinion, it's more important that the filter has a good anti drainback valve, and either plastic, or preferably metal end caps inside, and not paper end caps like a certain orange filter.
Are Nissan OEM filters labeled synthetic or non-synthetic? Or do they just make one OEM filter that works for either oil? Thx.

· Registered
165 Posts
Are Nissan OEM filters labeled synthetic or non-synthetic? Or do they just make one OEM filter that works for either oil? Thx.
I don't know what the filter media in the Nissan filter is made of. I have not seen any differentiation on them. Nissan uses the same filter across many different vehicles, some spec synthetic blend, and others spec full synthetic oil.

As I understand it, regardless of filter media, the filter would be compatible with either type of oil - the difference is in the amount of time they claim you can run the filter between oil changes. Synthetic media filters supposedly can go longer between changes, but even so, I will not push an oil change beyond 5,000 miles, so for me it does not make sense to spend twice as much on a filter.

· Registered
2006 Off Road
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know what the filter media in the Nissan filter is made of. I have not seen any differentiation on them. Nissan uses the same filter across many different vehicles, some spec synthetic blend, and others spec full synthetic oil.

As I understand it, regardless of filter media, the filter would be compatible with either type of oil - the difference is in the amount of time they claim you can run the filter between oil changes. Synthetic media filters supposedly can go longer between changes, but even so, I will not push an oil change beyond 5,000 miles, so for me it does not make sense to spend twice as much on a filter.
Thanks again!

· Registered
2006 Off Road
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
06 with 36,000?? I want to buy this, my 05 just rolled 180k 😁
Yeah. My neighbours think I bought a new rig. It's never been off road, no one has ever sat in the back seat, and it even smells new. It was purchased brand new by a close friend who drives a nice sports car. He basically drove the X in winter during snowstorms or the odd camping trip on highways or well maintained roads. It's immaculate...I did put in a new Koyo A2807 rad to let me sleep well regarding the SMOD issue...I plan to slightly mod it with a good sound system and upgraded headlights, and some Bilstein shocks at some point..

· Registered
2,985 Posts
Thanks. I've never run Mobil. Did you run Mobil fully synthetic since new? Or semi-synthetic? Or regular petro? 5W/30?
Yeah I only ran Mobil1 full synthetic from day 1 forward, kind of as an experiment. I switched to 10w-40 around 170k just to help with with worn tolerances.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts