Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3,191 Posts
I'm guessing this is not an extended life filter.

· Registered
3,191 Posts
If you're believing a filter can extend the life of oil then..good luck!
No, I dont believe the oil filter can extend the life of any oil.
However, there are oils which have been confirmed to support oil change intervals of 7,000- to 20,000 miles by independent sites such as "Blackstone Laboratories".

With this being said, the oil in itself may support an extended oil change, but not all oil filters are.

Choosing the best possible oil and a budget filter would still limit you to changing your oil at recommended intervals or less. There are an abundance of filters manufactured with a cellulose filter media and cardboard end caps which would do well to be replaced at 3500 miles vs a synthetic media which may last for over 7000miles.

Choosing a $7 cellulose based filter may seem to make a financially wise decision over a $12 extended life filter with a synthetic filtering media, but not if your filter needs to be replaced more regularly .

Yes, our recommended oil change intervals may be 5000 miles , but there are oil filters sold to the public which I would replace prior to this mileage.
( Courtesy Nissan : How often does a Nissan Frontier need an Oil Change?
Synthetic oil customarily should be changed every 7,500 - 10,000 miles. Nissan recommends getting your Nissan Frontier oil & filter changed every 3,000-5,000 miles for conventional oil)

· Registered
3,191 Posts
There are not an abundance of Motorcraft oil filter reviews, but the gentleman in this video was rather thorough with the tested filter. If true, he shares the S on the model name reflects a Silicone bypass valve and possibly a blended cellulose media.

With this being said, I would be curious if the FL816 filter from this post topic has a silicone bypass valve or not. In addition, the reviewer shares the filter is limited to an 80% efficiency at filtering contaminants of 20 microns ( I can neither confirm nor deny this claim to be true) .

Enjoy the video

Reactions: BRATCAT

· Registered
3,359 Posts
Motocraft are generally regarded as decent filters. Their made by Purolator - who was purchased by Mann and Hummell, who also recently bought wix - so they have been mixing and matching different parts within each filter branding. Anyway I personally don't like the integrated bypass valve as part of the base plate rather than the separate bypass at the bottom of the media, but what do I know.

The above video is by Whip city Wrencher, and he has 100's of oil filter evaluations if your interested. I have probably wasted 50 hours watching them....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts