Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
on line
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after receiving my factory-ordered Offroad Monday night, I realized there were a couple changes made by Nissan in production of the Xterras. First off, they now install a small plastic lip on our fuel doors to open it instead of pushing the opposite side. Second, the offroad wheels are no longer polished, but instead are painted silver.

There is a third change that I did not figure out until just now. When looking at my engine yesterday, I noticed a big metal bracket with two screw holes on top with nothing bolted to it. I had no clue what went there until I was looking at a pic of someones K&N install and realized I do NOT have an engine cover where it says "V6 4.0"!

I called my sales manager and he said he would tell his service guy to order me one. He calls me back right after and said the service guy told him he got an email stating that after Feb 11th, Xterras are no longer getting an engine cover :cussing: At this point, I am pretty pissed off, considering engine covers were standard on Jan 27th when we ordered our X. The sales manager said he would see about ordering one and letting me know what the cost would be, but I don't think that this is acceptable at all! I could understand it if the bracket was gone too, but its there and looks stupid without the cover bolted to it.

Has anyone else bought a new X recently with the same deal? I know it doesn't really effect anything other than looks, but I liked the looks of the engine cover, especially since it hides the plastic intake manifold.

Sorry, I just felt like ranting and figured you guys could offer some insight.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
no need to apologize. you might find a few people who are in the same situation. i think that stinks man.

·
on line
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scott,
I appreciate your offer and may take you up on it if things do not work out with the dealer. If I may ask, what was the reason you removed the cover from yours?

·
on line
376 Posts
Engine covers are just cosmetic. They may cut down on a little cabin noise, but they also trap heat underneath them.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Forget the engine cover. Ask them when we get the new redesigned for off road tough diffs! :)

·
on line
15 Posts
I just bought an 08 S this week but it had probably been sitting on the lot since before the change was made. It doesn't have the little lip on the fuel door, and it does have the engine cover.

·
on line
735 Posts
First it was steel spare, then it was making the oil pressure gauge into an idiot light. well, they did add a leather steering wheel to the OR package and now a fuel door gizmo. Guess they had to axe the cover to pay for that.

Now about the wheels. They are all painted with clearcoat anyhow (at least my 05 is). Are they matte finish now???

·
on line
1,479 Posts
This is a pic of my '08 OR wheel.

·
on line
148 Posts
i like the idea of the lipped fuel door. i hate pushing on it, its a pain in the a**. just my .02

·
on line
671 Posts
I've got an 08 with engine cover & without the gas lip.
I think the lip on fuel compartment would get torn off after some brush busting.
I have 07 OR rims & they're painted

·
on line
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will go outside right now and take a pic of the fuel door and wheels, along with my naked engine that still has the mounting brackets. I will have pics up in about 10 minutes.

·
on line
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, here they are:

First, my silver painted off-road rims

The next two are of the fuel door lip

And finally, my naked engine

Its kind of funny that they kept the front half of the engine cover, guess they really wanted their logo on there.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts