Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one know of a place you can get a better price than $264 on the factory hitch? I prefer the factory hitch over the UHAUL version because it has the bracket for the trailer lights and the rubber step. I was going to wait until i could afford the rear bumper, but I need it in two weeks.

Thanks.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I would go with the hitch from 4x4parts.

If not having the harness bracket bothers you, get a hole saw and put the plug in the bumper (keeps it up out of the way). And for the step, just get some grip tape and cover the step. The spot is there, just no rubber on it.

·
on line
210 Posts
jwd270 said:
it has the bracket for the trailer lights
That bracket is a pain in the a$$ in the trail... draging in the mud... I tear mine once. My trailer plug is now in the bumper.

Just my 2¢

·
on line
259 Posts
eXTra fORt said:
jwd270 said:
it has the bracket for the trailer lights
That bracket is a pain in the a$$ in the trail... draging in the mud... I tear mine once. My trailer plug is now in the bumper.

Just my 2¢
Same here, I installed the Uhaul hitch. About $160 including tax. Got it from my local store, it was cheaper than the one on-line and I didn't pay shipping. The ones at etrailer.com also look good. I placed the plug in the bumper too. Two reasons: less problems when dragging the hitch through heavy mud AND I can easily remove the hitch if I need more departure angle for heavier wheeling, without touching anything electrical (just 6 bolts).

Couple of pics of my install:

Hope this helps you make a better choice.

·
on line
259 Posts
I picked up the hidden hitch for like $170 I think, install was easy, I like it.
I was a direct bolt on application.

·
on line
44 Posts
My only recommendation when buying a hitch is to try and get the Nissan electrical kit for the lights. If you don't you'll have to do some cutting of wires to make it work. When I got my hitch, the only electrical harness available at the Uhaul place required some cutting, so I went and paid the extra money for the Nissan stuff. It was really easy to install and there was no cutting.

$170 is a pretty good price I think.

·
on line
358 Posts
I have a factory hitch. The electrical mount on the hitch has got to go! I already have pulled the connector off before it got torn off on the trail. I just need to mount the connector in the bumper and grind off the the mount.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts