Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious how Nissan Connect is working for everyone. I'm running it and am receiving a 'vehicle is not registered' when trying to access the apps portion (google search).

Is this working well for people or is there some trick to getting it to work?

Also, to be fair, it's an APK file running on a Blackberry Q10 which generally works fine but there could be some Android/Berry issues going on...thus my question.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I have a 14 Pro 4X and most of the time it tells me it found a new vehicle do you want to add, I have to tell it no and then go into the settings and reselect the phone and it will then work. I contacted Nissan Connect support and they are worthless. I at first could not get Google Send to Car to work they told me to go to the dealership turns out you only have to register you Xterra with Google and then it works. They really have a lot of bugs to work out on it but once it does connect you are good until you get out of the Xterra.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Yesterday I could not get the "My Apps" to at all, turned off the X rebooted phone nothing worked. I went into Nissan Connect on my Android and then Manage My Apps, unselected everything then reselected the apps I wanted and then is would connect. That was the first time it did that.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
My wife's HTC One works perfectly with the Nissan Connect but when it comes to my Iphone 4, I could never get it to read or send my texts.. that doesn't really bother me much.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine has been a bit flakey on getting the Nissan Connect 'connected' (ironic isn't it) but the bluetooth features connect and work perfectly. I guess I'll just keep screwing around with it till it works.

BTW, I'm sure I'm mostly on my own...well, maybe I'm not since there's over 70 million Blackberries in active circulation but man it pisses me off that they won't do an app that's actually ported properly. Hell, you don't even need to write one, just port over the Android app...

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Try going into the Nissan Connect app on the phone and go to manage my apps uncheck all apps then make sure they disappear on the radio then re-add them. After they are gone select the apps you want again and see if it is better. Since I did it yesterday it connects right away now.

·
on line
616 Posts
Mine has been a bit flakey on getting the Nissan Connect 'connected' (ironic isn't it) but the bluetooth features connect and work perfectly. I guess I'll just keep screwing around with it till it works.

BTW, I'm sure I'm mostly on my own...well, maybe I'm not since there's over 70 million Blackberries in active circulation but man it pisses me off that they won't do an app that's actually ported properly. Hell, you don't even need to write one, just port over the Android app...
I'd just use Snap to get it off Google. Not porting required. Just install the .apk, as you probably done. No difference from having it ported to BB world, unless there are Google Play Services dependencies that screw things up. If that was the case, the app would have to be modified to remove those dependencies before porting. I've looked at the app and see nothing that would cause it to fail. My guess is that there is something about the Bluetooth configurations that are screwing with things. May be improved under OS 10.3. Sounds more like the Nissan side of the BT connection.

Old Army

·
Registered
126 Posts
in short, I gave it up. I didn't find the value-add of NissanConnect over my previous setup, all over Bluetooth.

Namely, I have a Galaxy Nexus on which I've grafted on a Palm Touchstone coil --Mod thread on Android Central-- so I can simply place my phone on the Touchstone base and the magnets will keep it in place and charging. :rockin:

Leveraging the Bluetooth connectivity, I have the Car Home Utlra app set to start whenever BT connects to the XTerra.

So in general when I get in the truck I have a ritual. Place the phone on the 'stone, turn the engine on, put my seatbelt on, adjust the A/C (it's FL, so that means MAX A/C, full fan), and hit Google Play Music Now. Sometimes I hit BeyondPod to listen to podcasts, or Sky.FM streaming, not just merely whichever apps Nissan blessed.

Thereafter the steering wheel controls work control the music, voice-commands for dialing. If I need driving directions, I fire up Waze.

So yeah I don't get to see the map on the center console display, nor be able to do google searches or check FB while I'm driving. BFD.

BONUS! If the control link crashes (and it does happen from time to time) the music continues to play uninterrupted.

Works for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess that really is the question, there's not much out there for apps at the moment. What does the Google Search app actually accomplish - aside from the obvious searching via google?

There are a number of other apps coming, mostly music, TunedIn, Slacker etc that may have some use on occasion.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ha, so, based on the incredible number of advocates of the app functionality it doesn't do much...

Will just forget about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts