Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the NISMO intake installed and due to the nature of living in Alaska, I got tired of having such an exposed filter. The way the radiator fan was positioned, any time you go through silt, mud or water, the fan slings water up to the location of the intake filter. Since the NISMO has a gaping hole next to where the intake tube is, the filter got covered with crud every time I hit the trails.

Ever tied to get silt out of a filter? Trust me, it is a PITA!

I decided to order a Volant. At least try it out and see what the difference was. I have heard nothing but good things about it.

I took it around the block make sure nothing was messed up and so far I like it. It is a bit quieter at lower RPMs than the NISMO but just as mean around the 4-5K RPM Range. I did not really notice any real HP differance, but I was taking it pretty easy and it was flat ground.

My girl and I are heading out to Valdez a bit later today for a little car camping. it is about 300 miles each direction. I will post up my full report once I get back tomorrow.

·
on line
2 Posts
Right on man, I've just got the Airaid Quick-fit, works great, but im in scottsdale, AZ
I was born and raised in AK and know exactly what you mean about having an aftermarket Filter that is a bit more inclosed! what part of AK are you from?
(I grew up in Soldotna)

·
on line
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
results

so. After driving 300 miles each direction, I have the results. There was a slight difference in HP though. They do react differently at different RPM ranges though, especially when climbing hills at high speeds. I have a manual transmission, so the results are a bit hard to explain.

The NISMO seemed to have a bit more get-up-and-go when the petal was mashed to pass traffic without changing gears. The Volant seemed to perform better once I downshifted (higher RPMs).

NISMO seemed to have a bit more power through the 2-3k range especially in 2nd and 3rd gear. Whereas the Volant was a lot more responsive in the 3.5-5k range in 4th and 5th gear.

This is only what I felt, and only a true dyno will tell the true tale.

My overall gas milage did not change, but the speeds did. I have made a similar trip (half way there to Lake Lousie) before with the NISMO and I got about 18 MPG average on both trips. Terrain is mostly mountain passes and there are a few grades that are at 8%. My last trip's average speed was at least 10-15 mph slower due to weather and company. Based on this I can safely say that the volant would have better gas milage, but that is likely due to it being a brand new filter and the difference would have only been about 1 MPG.
PM me if you want to know what my average speeds were for this trip. I don't want to flaunt my excess stupidity.

I know that if I would have kept the speeds lower, I definitely would have had better gas milage.

I also watched the intake temperature on my scanguage and it seemed to be a little cooler with the Volant.

The Volant is also quieter, as noted before. Not as much drone going down the highway.

My final conclusion, I like the Volant. The NISMO was hard to keep clean and the sound coming from the engine bay as a bit annoying going down the highway.

Both are great products, but NISMO is just not for me.

·
on line
16,147 Posts
glad you found the product you like! I'm a fellow Volant owner as well. Undeniably the best most cost effective mod I've done so far...(well...that and I had a custom exhaust built for my X which gives me one more MPG) :)

·
on line
3,436 Posts
Glad you like the Volant.

·
on line
452 Posts
nice and detailed review ....

so your giving away the nismo for free? :D

·
on line
136 Posts
Him the more i read about these volant cai, the more i want to get one.. Must add to the list of future mods :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts