Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
on line
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard alot of talk about K&N, Volant, etc. and was wondering why I haven't heard much on the NISMO product. I did a bunch of research on intakes and people seem to lean toward the NISMO product because of the tuning for the 4.0 V6. Anyone have any opinions on this based on the following criteria:

1. HP and mpg +/-
2. Sound
3. Quality/Price ratio

I'm about to order one, and excluding cost, what should the NOOB do? :geek:

·
on line
1,123 Posts
I posted a question on this intake a few weeks ago (as part of another thread) but never got a reply. I was leaning towards the NISMO intake but then found out that it needs to be oiled so I'm leaning back towards the AEM. I was searching for some dyno results yesterday and came across the following numbers
Stock 245 HP @ 5450 RPM and 250 ft-lb at 4000 RPM (these are dyno values for a stock 2005 S and are lower than specs claimed by Nissan)
AEM +13.6 HP +12.3 ft-bl torque at 5800 RPM
NISMO +10.5 HP +9.5 ft-lb torque, no RPM values listed

·
on line
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what do you mean by oiling the intake? And those numbers are a bit lower than the general concensus...about 3-5 HP variance. Any recommendation for an exhaust system to compliment?

·
on line
1,123 Posts
The filter needs to have a special oil applied after it is cleaned. I've never had an air filter needed this, but many (K&N, Volant, etc.) do. It seems like an added hassle to me compared to a dry filter.

Yeah, the numbers are lower than usually discussed. Here is the link that I found to the Dyno results.
http://www.dragtimes.com/Nissan-Xterra-Timeslip-8193.html

·
on line
246 Posts
MrXS said:
a K&N that doesn't need to be oiled?? K&N practically invented oiled air filters!?!?!?
i want to know if that was a 6spd or not????????????????

and from what ive seen i think volant is the best because of a closed box-not to fond of open intake that could get condensation in it, but thats my opinion. and volant boast a 14 hp gain. but i didnt know they are an oiled filter?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts