Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking all TSB's for the Xterra from 2005 - 2008 and NOTHING about the rear diff or axle. BUT, they did have a TSB about replacing the rear breather plug that comes on new Axle assemblies with the breather from the axle being replaced. Must mean they have been changing a few axles assemble. Enough to write a TSB to remind you to put the breather back in the new one.

But no actual TSB on these rear diffs or associated problems (Unless I missed it). So, how wide spread is this problem or is it isolated? I have read a few comments here and there about problems but nothing real qualitative to spell out how big a problem it actually is.

So, seriously, is it a real problem? Is it acknowledged formally and documented by Nissan or just a widely known issue out there and handled by the dealer?

Thanks!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The dealers and Nissan will tell you there is no issue, but the number of failed diffs is pretty high in the off-road community. If the vehicle never leaves the pavement, you probably have nothing to worry about. If you wheel, be careful.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Muzikman said:
.... If the vehicle never leaves the pavement, you probably have nothing to worry about. If you wheel, be careful.
Pretty sad all the same when you buy a truck like I did marketed as an Off Road truck.

·
on line
246 Posts
sure is sad thats why nissan sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they dropped the ball on not honoring warrantying for trucks that were advertised as offroad prowess.

·
on line
12 Posts
I just took my truck (4850 miles) in on wednesday because it had a vibration that felt like it was from the front end, and loud noise kind of drone that overpowered the radio. It would start at about 50mph and was the worst at 55-65.

Sunday I took it to the mountain and had it in 4Hi for awhile on packed snow, I was stuck in traffic so I didn't go very fast. It was fine that day on the way home, but Monday on the way to work it was making the noise.

The dealer checked it and called me to say I need a new rear differential, they gave me a loaner car and said they didn't know how long it would take because it had to come from the East coast and with the bad weather it may take a few days.

Thursday they called to say the one rear differential had been ordered before they got the order in, and so my problem has been elevated to customer care, and they didn't have any idea how long it would take at this point. I stopped in to talk to the service manager and asked how often they see this problem and this is the fourth one that he has had replaced, but he hasn't had any front differentials. I told him that I actually take my truck off-road, and as soon as I get sliders this one will go off-road. I asked if they would cover this if I had taken it off-road, and he said they would because it is advertised as an off-road vehicle. So hopefully he keeps saying that if it happens again.

·
on line
122 Posts
As my formal lawsuit proceeds I will let you know what excuses they come up with.
I'm counting on you to sort this whole mess out with Nissan and forcing them to come up with a TSB before my diff blows, good luck!

·
on line
463 Posts
If memory serves, the issue seems to be isolated to the " Off Road diffs" OR,
I haven't been reading all of the posts ?
I also have read of the Off Road Diff being built by Dana to Nissan specs ?
Is it the rear gears ? or the "E-locker" ? giving everyone the grief ?

·
on line
230 Posts
prod39 said:
If memory serves, the issue seems to be isolated to the " Off Road diffs" OR,
I haven't been reading all of the posts ?
I also have read of the Off Road Diff being built by Dana to Nissan specs ?
Is it the rear gears ? or the "E-locker" ? giving everyone the grief ?
The problem is the Dana 44. The early models only have 2 spider gears. That is the primary problem. Secondarily the side gear is cut down for the locker. But spiders are the main problem. Even the 4 spiders blow to though...And all front diffs, all years, all models are junk.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
lloyd Swartz said:
The problem is the Dana 44. The early models only have 2 spider gears. That is the primary problem. Secondarily the side gear is cut down for the locker. But spiders are the main problem.
Has there been a single non-OR/Nismo rear axle failure reported on this board or Clubfrontier (regardless of model year)?

·
on line
230 Posts
OregonX said:
lloyd Swartz said:
The problem is the Dana 44. The early models only have 2 spider gears. That is the primary problem. Secondarily the side gear is cut down for the locker. But spiders are the main problem.
Has there been a single non-OR/Nismo rear axle failure reported on this board or Clubfrontier (regardless of model year)?
I think there have been. Not sure if it was too small a diff, or jsut the occasional maufacture flaw. I am guessing the latter.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lloyd Swartz said:
The problem is the Dana 44. The early models only have 2 spider gears. That is the primary problem. Secondarily the side gear is cut down for the locker. But spiders are the main problem. Even the 4 spiders blow to though...And all front diffs, all years, all models are junk.
So, there is a "modified" Dana 44 in the OR version with the locker?

·
on line
704 Posts
Yes, what we have is not a true Dana 44; it is modified.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
vman said:
Yes, what we have is not a true Dana 44; it is modified.
Thanks!

·
on line
1,744 Posts
I've had my rear axle assembly replaced on my 06 OR. Used the diff lock and it would not disengage the dealer solution: Complete new rear end. It took 27 days for them to get the part and do the swap. Have wheeled a fair amount since without issue.

·
on line
2,874 Posts
So does anybody reading this have a low whine/hum coming from their rear of their xterra?

my 07's (4x4 S) original rear did that and slowly got worse. the noise is around 65-70 (my speedo is 2mph off showing me going faster than i am, so it is really like 63-68 or so) and only when applying the throttle. there also is the noise around 40-45 or so, same thing, add throttle = noise. They replaced the complete diff with a new one about 6k miles ago now and the noise is coming back... If I drive way fast, like 75 and up, no noise at all..... You have to really listen for the noise at this point, radio off, windows up, smooth road, it's there....

is this just "normal" noise from the diff after it breaks in or another bad diff? I rarely wheel it. Seems like the new one is going the same route as the original. I didn't change the rear diff oil out since they swapped (some say to do so after 3k or so) but the next one, if there is a next one, I will..

any thoughts??

·
on line
735 Posts
Every manufacturer has its share of infant mortality on differentials. if the owner goes straight off the lot and tows heavy before the ring and pinion surfaces can work harden, usually the eat crap in a few thousand miles. I've seen it happen -mostly on light duty half ton vehicles.

it happens.. if you get a good one, it might be good for 300k miles if you keep lube in it.

If i had a choice on a rear axle for the new gen X, i'd get the m226 without the locker and therefore, without the weak link in an otherwise pretty strong axle.

·
on line
29 Posts
I had the whine, and then a rear diff replacement under warranty. I now have over 12,000 miles on the new one. I wheel just about every day, and tow a travel trailer. No noise at all.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
silverflash said:
So does anybody reading this have a low whine/hum coming from their rear of their xterra?
Yea, I only have it at 65 mph. It changes with different road surfaces though some being very noticeable and some I can't hear it. It also seems to be affected by empty vs full fuel tank. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on it and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts