Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to this article...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...s-small-truck-plans-navara-now-north-america/

We'll be getting a Frontier based on (but yet apparently different from) the just-revealed Navara, and the plans to resurrect the first-gen architecture are now bust. And now we're stuck with the current gen Fronty (and likely Xterra) for another three years. Hopefully the new GM "small" trucks will keep the market segment alive until then, and the current gen sees a diesel engine in the next year or two.

But as I always say, proliferation of the current gen means more spare parts for us down the line...

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
They'd lose a ton of sales if they waited that long. And there are 2 versions of that Navara, one being regular size and another that's smaller. So which one is it based off of? Im still saying 2016 is when you'll see a new Frontier and the diesel.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
This article is full of bs... 2016 Gen 3 Fronty..
Titan hits Summer 2015 then they focus on the Frontier...
What you see as the NAVAR is basically the next fronty... The grill and a few minor changes will happen but its basically the same truck.

It doesn't take them 4 years to get a current truck in to production.. I have seen it done in 2 months..

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They'd lose a ton of sales if they waited that long. And there are 2 versions of that Navara, one being regular size and another that's smaller. So which one is it based off of? Im still saying 2016 is when you'll see a new Frontier and the diesel.
Agreed. It'll be the death of the Fronty and Xterra if they wait three years while releasing a Cummins Titan in the middle. The Canyorado (and maybe even a next-gen Taco) would proliferate and maybe even get a refresh by the time a new Fronty rolled out.

As to the two versions, the first-gen Nav is still built in many parts of the world (hell, in Australia, you can buy both a first gen AND second-gen Navara from the same dealership). One version is new and hip, the other is a cheap workhorse.

This article is full of bs... 2016 Gen 3 Fronty..
Titan hits Summer 2015 then they focus on the Frontier...
What you see as the NAVAR is basically the next fronty... The grill and a few minor changes will happen but its basically the same truck.

It doesn't take them 4 years to get a current truck in to production.. I have seen it done in 2 months..
All they have to do is make copies of the stamps/dies/CAD files (assuming they meet NA safety standards), find a compliant motor, and reset the factory.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I should say there are 2 versions of the NP300 (D23), not Navara. As the one in the article is designated for asian markets along side a smaller version of the same truck. And yes the D22 are D40 are sold all over the world together.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
"Allegedly, the next Frontier will ride on an updated version of the F-Alpha truck platform that the current Frontier uses."

Putting a new dress on the old w**** eh Nissan? Its sure to get share in an already flooded and highly competitive mid size market...

its like they aren't even trying anymore

·
Registered
342 Posts
"Frontier sells consistently well, though it is down a bit this year. For a truck that was last redesigned in 2004, it has aged well and is the third best-selling light truck behind the Rogue and Murano. "

Since when is a Rogue or a Murano a light truck?
You know its a real winner when they compare sales internally and not against competitors. I think Nissan 1Q 2019 sold 26k Frontiers. Tacoma sold 68k.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
You know its a real winner when they compare sales internally and not against competitors. I think Nissan 1Q 2019 sold 26k Frontiers. Tacoma sold 68k.
"Allegedly, the next Frontier will ride on an updated version of the F-Alpha truck platform that the current Frontier uses."

Putting a new dress on the old w**** eh Nissan? Its sure to get share in an already flooded and highly competitive mid size market...

its like they aren't even trying anymore
I really don't have an issue with them sticking with the F Alpha platform. Usually the reason for the change in the frame is to make it stronger. Since it was already a version of a full size truck frame, it is already over built for a midsized truck.

Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The Frontier doesnt need a lot of change to be at or near the head of the pack again. Just modernize the look (w/o losing the ruggedness), upgrade the interior and tighten up the turn radius, plus direct injection for 5-10 % better mpg.
Done.

Oh, and make a Xterra version of it too ;)

·
TNX Veteran
4,040 Posts
Same frame means same parts. You can Titan-swap it on day 1!

Still, classic cheap a$$ Nissan. Is the new Titan also on the F-alpha frame? I really dislike Nissan and their 10+ year old generation vehicles. Aside from the Xterra, there is very little that is appealing to me from the last 20 years from them.

·
TNX Veteran
545 Posts
Same frame means same parts. You can Titan-swap it on day 1!

Still, classic cheap a$$ Nissan. Is the new Titan also on the F-alpha frame? I really dislike Nissan and their 10+ year old generation vehicles. Aside from the Xterra, there is very little that is appealing to me from the last 20 years from them.
Agreed. There isn't much that Nissan puts out that I even think about owning. Honestly, before I got an Xterra, I used to think they were pretty ugly. Then one day, I saw one while off road in a friend's taco. I googled it and instantly fell in love and had to have one.

That being said, I'm only mildly attracted to the Frontier and the old and new Titans are a bit fugly, IMO.

I'll still hold out hope for a new Xterra, but it seems less and less likely. Even if it does come, it'll be bastardized and have all the sweeping body lines fit for a mall parking lot and "stick figure family" decals.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
The Frontier still sells decently well for Nissan and all the templates, dies etc. for making parts have long since been paid off so the $$ return is relatively high for it. I agree the frame is overbilt for it's size so it's strong. If they updated the look with some quality of life upgrades and maybe a new engine option it will probably sell better.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I bought my 2011 Fronty new. I cheeped out and got the SV. Always regretted that, but its a great truck. Has only 70K miles at this point.

When the new Taco came out I was pretty excited and thinking of trading - until tried it. The interior is feels more cramped, and all the trinkets here and there for no reason, not to mention the powertrain is underpowered and no where near as stout as my Fronty, so I kept the Fronty. Most Taco owners at the time were lamenting that the previous generation was better, and likely was.

Then the new GM's came out. I again thought maybe this is it. Headed to the dealer - the interior feels cheap, not to mention the back seat is tiny comparatively. Passed again.

The new Ranger just came out. Checked it out, and honestly if the Fronty was worth anything on trade I would likely get one. However the Fronty is now at an age where its about worthless to all but me - so I am keeping it. The Ranger hit all the marks the two above missed - great interior along with good powertrain options. I suppose time will tell, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them giving the Taco a run for their money in the segment.

Not to mention all of the above are approaching 40K nicely equipped, and i am sure the next Gen fronty if it happens will be also.

If you were buying a mid size truck as a tool, the Fronty is by far the best value right now. Unfortunately everyone wants the new bright and shiny object.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Nissan let the Titan go stale and the new one isn't on par interior wise with anything except maybe the Tundra which is outdated as well. Ford, Chevy and Dodge have much better offerings in the interior department.

The Frontier, well we all know how it has been the same for 13 years.....

The Z. Same story, big price tag and same old story since early 2000s.

Infiniti has been faring better but the Renault influence is finally kicking in. Infiniti now has models with FWD and CVT. One of them isn't even an Infiniti. Just a rebadged Mercedes. Infiniti still does not offer Carplay or Android Auto.

I swear Nissan will either enter the current market kicking or screaming or die on the curb. I don't own stock in them and kinda glad by the way they run their company. I think they are taking the tortoise and hare story too seriously.

·
Registered
376 Posts
^^^ I don't mind that Nissan (and Toyota) have stuck with their roots so to speak, and have continued to build more simple but sturdy, honest trucks. But that probably is a result of growing up in my era when trucks were supposed to be trucks and not luxury passenger vehicles that cost as much as a starter home! Don't get me wrong, I like some of the modern conveniences and would like to see a few more of them included in the Frontier, but the Titan to me has a nice interior without being over the top.

The more positive changes I would like to see with an upgraded Frontier would be things like a factory Titan swap, meaning Nissan could equip all the Frontiers with the 205 diff. and axle shafts out of the V8 Pathys and stop playing with the underwhelming 180 differentials. Upgrade the rear suspension, lighting and a dampened tailgate which would all add real value and increased usability to the truck. And yes, freshen up the interior. All while keeping the cost affordable for the average truck shopper!

·
Registered
16 Posts
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2020-2021-nissan-frontier-redesign/

Another story with the same Frontier news, but this quote is a little worrying, “It’s modern, but it still looks like a truck. This still looks like something a truck guy would want.” That sounds like someone trying to convince themself.

Of course there's no mention of a manual either. I guess those days are over. I might have to get the last new Frontier Pro-4X 6-speed to keep the Xterra company in its old age.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts