Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I am new to your site and I have found it to be a wealth of information. The problem is that I have been combing the site for days and have now found that I will need $3,000.00 to do all the stuff that I want to do now that I have found you!

My X is a DD with little OR but I like an aggressive look/stance. I occasionally tow a trailer and 19' boat (approx 3000 lbs max).

Here is what I like from the posts I have searched:
- Firestone Destination MT - (not sure if lifting so I am looking at 265 and 285). Looked at Nitto terragrappler as well.
- If lifting - Spacers/AAL (PLease convince me that lifting is the only way to go). Not sure what the UCA contact problem is if someone would like to explain I would greatly appreciate it.
- Volant CAI
-Magnaflow cat-back

I can't really afford all of this now but I really like the Dest MT's and the aggressive stance that a spacer/aal lift provides. What am I losing if I decide on 265's, shocks and bump stops as opposed to lift? Also, for those of you running CAI AND Magnaflow, how is the sound?

Thanks.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
UCA contact is when the upper control arm drops down and hits the upper coil bucket for the front shocks. it's more annoying than anything else.

265/70s are the stock size on the X, and S, 265/76 is the stock size on the OR, all three are 16" wheels. you can go up to a 255/85 or a 285/75 (both are 33" tires). If you are thinking of upgrading shocks you should look into the radflo coilovers from PRG Products. they will offer lift and a very nice offroad capable coilover shock. you won't really find a standard shock upgrade that will benefit you over the stock components (unless you have and X or S and you upgrade to the bilstein shocks that are on the OR model). and as far as bumpstops, timbrens (sp?) are what most run and they seem to be a great addition to the truck.

and just for the record you'll find $3000 to be a relatively low amount of money you'll want to spend on your truck when you do more research (you can spend that much at shrockworks alone.).

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Okay here is my advise. Dont lift the truck, you dont need it and your X can look badass without a lift. If you really want to lift it then go with the topgunscustomz spacers and an AAL. I say add a leaf because you will be doing some towing... dont get a shackle lift. Second go with the 265/75/16 Destinations. They are super agressive looking and are the right price, AND on top of that your gas tank will thank you tremendously!

Volant. - YES

Magnaflo - Maybe. (i have it and love the sound) The magnaflo exhaust doesnt replace the stock "Y" pipe. And trust me, if you are going to be replacing your exhaust you want to get rid of the crappy "Y" pipe. A shop could fab you up a new one when they install it for you (if you werent going to do it yourself). OR a cheaper method might be to just buy the muffler then have a shop fab up all the piping for you from scratch. **If you do this make sure the shop does mandrel bending!!!!!

Since you will be towing, i suggest getting timbren bumpstops for the rear (www.truckspring.com).

Anything else??

.... Oh, you dont want to replace the shocks if you dont plan on doing anything to the suspension.

·
on line
704 Posts
+1 on 265 Firestone MT. That is what I have decided to get if I end up getting new tires. These tires are more aggressive then BFG AT and in reality they represent a good mix of AT/MT tires. There is no need to increase the size to 285. I have been going back an forth on this and I really see no reason for getting more weight and crap from a dealer for less than 1" of clearance. Going from 30" to 33" would be a bigger deal, but trading a 32" tire for something that is just a bit bigger is more headache than necessary.

There is a 2.5" lift that one can get by obtaining special coils from PRG + denver minipack. This will cost you less money. So $800 for the tires + say $1300 for the 2.5" coils that don't require new UCAs. That's $2,000.

I would spend extra money for the belly protection. After looking at my car from the underneath, I definitely know what is required. Stock skids suck :)

·
on line
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really appreciate the help and opinions. I have read quite extensively here about lifts and I'm not sure I;m quite ready yet. The 265's are it for sure as well as the Volant and bump stops.

Since I don't have the time, tools or mechanical aptitude to do some of these things, where do you suggest getting installs done? Dealer?

Glad I found this site!

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Dealer! NO WAY!

Where are you located? Update your profile so we all can see.

The tires are easy... get them done at firestone. Bumpstops... do them yourself it takes no time at all (if you cant do this, your manhood status will be revoked). Intake... Very easy also so you should be able to do it yourself (it will take a noob with no prior experience about 1 - 1.5 hours). Trust me you dont want to pay someone to do this... its worth the experience.

·
on line
2,573 Posts
Welcome

Eddo has the way to go for sure

Def don't let a dealer install this stuff. We are all up for Mod Days so just post up where you are at and there has to be someone on here near you to lend a hand. You may need to provide a little Grub and a couple of Pops but that's better than what the Stealer Ship will charge you

DaveP

·
on line
1,206 Posts
Good job Eddo. that is definitely the advice to listen to. Post up where you're from!

·
on line
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds great. I'm located in Northern New Jersey. I really was hesitant about a possible lift scenario on my own. These others sound OK to tackle on my own. PLus I do not want to disappoint and have my manhood revoked (even if there is a chance it would go in backwards).

Seperate note/questions: (not sure if I should start a new thread)
46k miles
-Changing to Mobil 1 tomorrow
-No diff fluid change yet
-no tranny fluid flush/change yet
do it all now?

·
on line
351 Posts
Just my 2 cents from a gal here on the forum... I just got Destination MTs in 265/75/16 and a 2" PRG spacer/shackle lift, and I love them both! My husband and I put the lift on ourselves; it took us most of the day because of a hiccup with the bottom shock bolts (lots of cursing involved) but it was totally worth it. Anywho, just a shout out from a gal who loves her ride!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts