Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Xterra owner in VA. Actually, it is the wifes, but I get to do the maintenance and drive it once in a while. Been lurking here for a while. We purchased a 2005 Xterra back in June. Its an Automatic and had 56,500 miles. I did the tranny cooling line bypass that I read about on here. Also did the first oil change on it this weekend. That panel to get to the oil filter leaves much to be desired. I don't have big hands and forearms, but it was quite the pain in the rear to access the filter.
Here is my question. Going down a steep grade, when I hit the brakes, it will downshift. It seems to stay in the lower gear until I hit the gas again. This is the first automatic I have had that does this. Is this normal on the X?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
The computer wants to use the engine and drivetrain to help slow down the truck so you dont abuse the brakes. Id imagine any new vehicle with an auto will do it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just curious. If others that have the X says it does it then I assume it is normal for the Xterra. We have a 2005 Dodge Ram & 2004 Sentra with an auto and niether of them do it. The Xterra is the first vehicle I have driven that does it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts