Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
on line
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys love your site! I am glad to mention I am a new owner of an 06 Xterra Offroad. Love the truck but wish I had read more about some of the drive train problems. Anyway to make this short i have two questions. 1. my build date is 10/05 and I was wondering if my Xterra had the diff change from 2 side gears to 4 side gears. I believe I read they switched mid year 05? Does anyone know if this change helps with reliability on the rear diff? 2. I have a 6spd manual. This sound is going to be hard to describe but when I am crusing along and i come to a stop light... once i stop and say in 3-4 seconds (still sitting) i hear a little clunk noise like a gear is engaging or something? ( Tranny is in netural. is is very faint but when you are expecting it you can hear it. Sounds like it's coming from transfer case forward area? Anyone have any thoughts? Also gonig to get fluids change in both the front and rear. Does anyone know if this helps with the light diff whine?
Thanks, :cyclopsani:

·
on line
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TC = do you mean torque converter? I thought that would only apply to an automatic.

·
on line
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the clarification. If the fluid is okay are there any additional thoughts to the noise?

Also - does anyone have clarification for the mid year change in 05 for the rear diff from (2 I believe) to 4 spider gears (not sure if I have the right terms)

Thanks for your help,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts