Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
on line
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious as to whether the placement of the spare under the rear of the vehicle is a smart idea or whether it hits when negotiating terrain. I see that a new rear bumper with a tire carrier is available and also some folks place it on the roof, but, does anyone strap it inside the cab like the old Jeep XJ's and Wagoneers?

Thanks

·
on line
2,459 Posts
I used to strap it down inside. The biggest thing is having out from under the truck, from what I've found. If you get a flat or what ever on uneven terrain it can make it difficult to get it down.

I put mine on my Yakima rack on the roof.

·
on line
463 Posts
They do seem to be well-tucked hoever, I went with the rear-mount for two reasons;
1) Ease of access in the outback.
2) Clearance when negotiating the inclines.

Having written that, there are many who still have their spares under the back-end.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
You'll most likely hit the bumper long before you hit the spare above the bumper.

The spare inside eats up an amazing amount of room but works well.

The spare up top works but is a pain to get down and put up.

The spare underneath is a pain to get out and put back and can be impossible if you are in mud or rocks...

So my vote is for a shrock rear bumper with carrier. Makes it easier to get to your spare (a pain to get into the rear hatch) ans gives you true recovery points in back without dragging a tow hitch over every obstacle.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I agree, my stock bumper was smashed up pretty good from dropping off ledges and rocks, but my spare was fine.

Getting the spare out from under the vehicle in mud / water would be a real pain, but changing a tire in such situations is a pain any way. Pull out of the mud, then change the tire.

Living in the North East were they use a lot of road salt in the winter, it trashes the spare pretty good and can even rust the crank system to the point that it won't lower. If you live in this kind of area, I would lower and raise the spare a couple times a year and clean up the area. Keep the crank lubed.

I went with a Shrock rear bumper and put an air compressor and air tank where the spare use to be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts