Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, another newbie here. I recently purchased a 2005 4x4 Off Road /automatic, 108000 miles on, for a very good deal because p0430 code came on 2 weeks ago and the previous owner didn't want to deal with it and took out the Bank 2 cat replacement cost (I'm in california so it's a big deal.) I agreed that I'll take care of the smog.

Anyways, the SES lamp went off after I refilled the gas at Chevron with 92 premium and drove for about 30 miles on the freeway. After another 60 miles of freeway driving, it hasn't come back on, and I checked it on the code reader again and the code is gone now. The previous owner said the SES was on for about 2 weeks (100 miles) before I bought it.

Was the cat really bad or something else was causing it, like a fuel cap? Again, I live in California and am hoping I don't have to replace the cat, do I? Is there anything else I should be looking at?

On the side note, I noticed the water temp gauge always shows it a bit below the center of the gauge. Is it normal? Because the exhaust smells bit like it's running rich at the start up whether the engine is hot or not and wondering that might have caused the cat to fail, I don't know. I plan to replace the thermostat while replacing the radiator as a preventive measure anyways. Other than that there is no nose and running nice, for now.

I didn't seem to be able to find the answer in the other threads. Any input will be appreciated. Or it'll be great if you can take me to a right thread.

Just to clarify, I did confirm the code on the reader before it went off, and I didn't clear the code. It went off by itself.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
It could be as simple as bad/cheap gasoline. Often, dirty or faulty O2 sensors can cause that code. Keep using quality fuel and see if the code comes back. Maybe do the various relearn procedures like the throttle, accelerator, etc. Sometimes the real culprit will throw a code and fixing that issues solves the P0430. I.e. new plugs or cleaning the throttle body - something upstream of the cats. I wouldn't run out and go straight for the cat just yet.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
if the code went off and is staying off, i wouldnt worry about it for the time being. keep driving it and see if it comes back. you may got a hell of a deal by not having to fix it now! obviously if the code does come back on, then i would investigate it more closely.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Mine did this, I was showing the code for drivers side cat, and it would come on intermittently over a 6 month period. I managed to get through drive clean test here in Ontario during one of the light off periods, but since then it's come on and stayed on, for both cats. I'm at 195,000km btw.

·
on line
2,044 Posts
could be cheap gas.... I have used arco and had the code... then I used chevron and the light went away.. I also make sure I click my gas cap 5 clicks when closing gas cap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I went ahead and did the smog while SES is off, before I change or do anything to the car, and it passed!

I'll keep using good gasoline and hopefully the code won't come back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts