Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've signed up to take my X off-road and I'm busy reading this site and trying to work out how to prepare it. Taking into account I'm not going to get into serious rock crawling, I'm more an overlander looking for out of the way places to camp, the trails I'll take will probably all be mild. My prep list so far:

Remove rear sway bar (done)
Remove step rails
Remove mud flaps
Fit tow hitch to give me a rear recovery point.
Buy decent tow strap (my current one has metal hooks on the ends)
Buy decent 12v compressor for airing tyres back up.

I already have:
CB
GPS with topo maps (multiple for backup)

So, what else does a first timer hitting a mild trail need so he doesn't look like a complete idiot when he gets stuck. :iconbiggrin:

·
on line
1,113 Posts
something warm just incase your stuck for a little while sweatshirt and a small blanket but since your camping thats usually par for the course

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Condoms, no lube (real man don't need lube).

I would also suggest a shovel on top of all that. And if you don't have a hi-lift jack, bring a square of plywood to set your scissor jack on top of.
Thank you, I have a compact shovel I carry on vintage rallies, I'll take that too. Jacking is something I figured I could borrow a hi-lift from someone the first time out but a chunk of wood as backup is a great idea.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To explain a little further, for my first event I've signed up with the MO4wd group, I will be coached though my first few trails, but I want to show up with enough gear to show I'm serious about what I'm doing. I intend to do several group events before heading out solo for the first time next year in Michigan's UP setting up an endurance rally for vintage and classic cars (another of my hobbies).

·
Registered
448 Posts
Do the breather extension its super easy to do. I thought I wouldn't be doing any deep water crossings my first time out and I happened to find some crossings that were deep enough to come up to the middle of my rear bumper. Glad I did the extension! Def make sure you get a towstrap w/o the metal hooks on the end. Those can be very dangerous! As for a high lift jack on a stock Xterra. Kind of pointless in my opinion seeing as our front bumpers are plastic and the rear bumper isn't strong enough to support the weight of our trucks. High lift jacks can be used on sliders as a lift point if you have them. I see all these Xterra owners with stock front and rear bumpers and high lift jacks they can't even use.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Some decent A/T tires if you don't already.
Yeah, this is my one big issue, the dealer put on a new set of highway tires right before I bought the X, I'd have a hard time justifying throwing them away and buying a set of A/Ts right now. I think I'm just going to have to stick to the mild trails until I wear them out.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do the breather extension its super easy to do. I thought I wouldn't be doing any deep water crossings my first time out and I happened to find some crossings that were deep enough to come up to the middle of my rear bumper. Glad I did the extension! Def make sure you get a towstrap w/o the metal hooks on the end. Those can be very dangerous! As for a high lift jack on a stock Xterra. Kind of pointless in my opinion seeing as our front bumpers are plastic and the rear bumper isn't strong enough to support the weight of our trucks. High lift jacks can be used on sliders as a lift point if you have them. I see all these Xterra owners with stock front and rear bumpers and high lift jacks they can't even use.
Thank you, I hadn't researched the hi-lift so didn't know anything about it. I'll make sure to have some other way to jack it up on soft or rocky ground if necessary.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Another thing you should keep in mind when you're wheeling, is that momentum is everything. You don't necessarily need a lot of speed to get through things, just maintaining your momentum is the biggest factor.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts