Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , I am getting a jayco 248rbs trailer the dry weight is #5061. I have a stock 2009 xterra 4x4 with tow package. I did a search and found post that say yes I can tow it and ones that say no. need help. with family and gear , we add roughly 1100# to truck . I have a sway control hitch . and brake controller being added. What else would I need to add to keep family safe. This will be the first trailer I tow. any help will be great

·
Registered
595 Posts
You're already 60 lbs over the max tow, and that does not include personal gear in the trailer. Plus another 1100 lbs in the truck. I don't have a definitive answer, but that seems like pushing the envelope to me - especially with loved ones on board.

·
on line
951 Posts
Pulling it isn't the problem, stopping on a turn is. With the short wheelbase we have on these trucks, if you have to swerve and brake good luck. I tow a sled trailer when fully loaded weighs in at 4500#, add gear and I'm right at the limit. Passengers ride in a different car, my ride is horrible. Sucks gas down and isn't very fun at all. Not recommended to push the envelope, especially if this is your first time towing.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Newb needing towing help

I would not do it, you are putting a lot of weight for the truck to stop it suddenly and a lot of strain on the power train to actually pull the trailer.

In case of an accident, insurance may not cover and you could be in a lot of trouble.

It is not worth to put yourself, your family and the other drivers in danger. My suggestion, change the trailer or upgrade to a bigger vehicle.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Super Moderator
4,384 Posts
^^^ What they said!

The trailer you are looking at is too heavy for an Xterra. Since it would be impractical to buy another tow rig, you need a lighter trailer.

·
on line
1,511 Posts
The Xterra is capable of towing that load. I have done it from Missouri to Phoenix, but you are at the very limit. Our trailer weighed 4800 base weight, plus we were bringing our son and his battle buddy home from basic training/AIT and in combo with our normal load we had an extra 5 army duffles loaded to the max, plus other odds and ends. Total load was 10,780 combined weight, truck and trailer. The mechanics of the Xterra will handle it, but like what was posted previously, the wheel base is the issue you really need to look at. In order to have a stable Truck/Trailer Combo, you need a good Sway Control Hitch, such as an Equal-I-zer 4 Point Sway Control Hitch... http://www.equalizerhitch.com/
or a Hensley Hitch... http://hensleymfg.com/
These two manufactures take sway control to a higher level using proprietary geometry and mechanical advantage other sway control hitches don't exploit. They are pricey, in the order of $500 for an Equal-I-zer, $1400 for the Hensley. The benefit from these is they, in effect, bind the trailer to the truck, and when they are properly configured they are VERY SAFE. I have been on a curvy mountain road, running at 55mph and came around a corner and less than 400' in front of me was a truck stopped on the road. The ABS was pulse locking the wheels, in a corner, to get me stopped. The trailer stayed firmly behind me, no sway, no pulling.

I have years experience towing trailers, and my recommendation would be to get a trailer
in the 3600 to 4000 pound range. Here are tow pics of the two different trailers I've pulled with the Xterra.
This was our Fun Finder 240DS, 550# tongue weight, 4800 empty. We pulled this thing all over the west. (Advertised weight was #400 tongue/4200 empty weight)

The next trailer we had was Skyline Nomad 206, tongue weight of 400, empty weight of 4200

If you tow heavier trailers be ready for 8 to 10mpg on flat ground with zero head wind. Add in hills and wind you could be looking at 6 to 7mpg. Any hill you"ll need to gear down, if you have an auto trans that means sometimes going down to 2nd. And the biggest issue will be full concentration. You need to fully concentrate on whats happening around you. You'll also be changing trans fluid every 20 to 30K miles, adding air bags/helper springs and limiting your speed to 60 mph on flat open ground.

For your first trailer look for something in the 3600 to 4000 lb range, in a few years you an always upgrade truck and trailer.

·
on line
2,243 Posts
Overloaded.

It will move it just fine. Just isn't safe. There are reasons why the Xterra is downrated from the Frontier.

·
on line
1,511 Posts
Oh one other thing, the manufacturers weights don't mean a damn thing. To really know the weight of a trailer you need to have it weighed. All three of the trailers I've owned were heavier than advertised. The Skyline was closed to advertised weight, only 50# heavier.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I have the Suzi Equator, same capacity as a Fronty, My TT is 4400 lbs dry weight. With gear and family I would call it 6k lbs loaded out. Not much lower than max tow rating, it guzzles gas, I get about 8-10 mpg if there are hills.

That said I use a weight distributing hitch and a sway controller, with both properly set up I get a stable tow. I brake early, and a six hour drive is exhausting. You must concentrate so much more on other drivers to avoid hazards.

I would keep shopping and look for something lighter as mentioned, the extra 20 inches of wheelbase the Fronty has is a huge advantage. For the X I would try to stay below 4000 lbs dry.

No idea on cost, but maybe something like this:
http://www.forestriverinc.com/TravelTrailers/MicroLite/default.aspx?model=micro&page=floorplandetails&floorplanid=4970&RVType=trailers

·
on line
1,511 Posts
That said I use a weight distributing hitch and a sway controller, with both properly set up I get a stable tow. I brake early, and a six hour drive is exhausting. You must concentrate so much more on other drivers to avoid hazards.[/url]
Well said! When you are towing at or near the limit you have to devote to full concentration and at the end of he drive you are wiped! When we would make the run from Phoenix to the central coast of Ca my wife and I had an agreement, I'd get us there, then she would do the entire set up and cook me a good steak! But ya know what, I can't wait to get back out for another trip!!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
also towing with all of that weight ( even with the weight distribution hitch properly set up) your going to notice that you might hit the bump stops more often. I ended upgrading my rear suspention ( OME Dakar leaf springs) another option is also air bags that you can inflate when you want to tow

1 - 15 of 15 Posts