Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey there, owner of the vehicle here getting all this work done. Randomly popped on here and saw this thread and thought I would respond.

while thats cool and all, I dont see anything daily driver about that lol.
cutting out the rear wheel wells doesnt seem very DD.

this is for a dedicated rock crawler.

how do they "Seal up" the rear with the struts going through it like that?
I can still drive it on the street and it will be street legal. I could technically drive it everyday. However, I have another shitbox I drive daily. I am not sure how he is going to seal it up... I'm hoping it will be done next week! We will see then. There is a shock tower going across the back. I still have use of my backseats. I'm assuming the rear seats will rest against (or just about touching) the shock tower. Definitely not for rock crawling my friend. Yeah I still can, but thats not why I'm doing this setup.

I want to see what they're doing in the front to match that 20" of travel.
I picked up his titan LT kit from IG member rocky mountain goon. I'll be running the 8" coils that came with the kit. This was a cost savings move as the rear end is costing a pretty penny... between all the parts and labor, it is significantly more than that $3382 figure. For now the 8" shock should give me about 12" of travel and I can almost match the rear width. Yeah, it's not the race kit for 17" of travel, but one day it'll be 14" up front with a 10" coil.

If you need 20" of travel, you likely need a roll cage too...?
Roll cage one day... I'm not trying to build a race truck. My leaf springs were literally shot to hell and I didn't want leaf springs again. Thats the simple reason why I started this project.

·
Registered
11 Posts
...and mounts for JATO units!
It makes me so happy to see there are some yahoos out there pushing the envelope of what can be done with this great platform. God bless these people.
Happy to be the guinea pig for this one.

Neat. But I don't see much of a market for it. Kind of seems more like a tongue in cheek name.
Then again, there aren't any dunes anywhere near me. I've always said that I might be better suited to have a "desert" truck to ride VERY comfy in the city, since I don't get out to the trails all that much.

Agreed.
Yay... I keep my stockgas tank! Oh... umm... about that floor board.

To be honest... its a straight up fast desert setup. There's nothing rock crawler about that as with flex, your tire would be into your shocks. I mean, mine rub the frame at flex with a tire that sticks a couple inches outside the fender. They'd have to be 7+ inches further out to avoid trashing the shocks when it flexed... and thats with just a 285/33in tire. This company is pretty much all desert racing stuff... though some of that could obviously cross over to other uses.

They could easily box that area in to seal it... but you're gonna loose a lot of space and its not going to look anything like factory without a LOT of work. My guess... they'll run it open rear hatch as a race vehicle. Otherwise, they would have mounted the reservoir much closer, so the boxed area could be 1/2 the size.
Keeping the stock gas tank does save a lot of money, which helps a lot.

Yes mainly for desert as that is what's most fun for me. I'll be running 37x12.5x17. I am using a titan rear axle (+3" per side) and a more aggressive offset for the wheels. I think I'll be ok flexed out and not hitting the shocks. I sincerely doubt Michael would send off a finished build where the tires smash into the shocks.

He will be putting the body panels back in. It won't be left looking like that, and the trunk will absolutely be kept shut lol. The reservoirs in the pictures aren't mounted yet; they're just hanging out for him to send me progress pics.

And I guess that would be why no one bothers making aftermarket parts for nissan guys. A bunch of cheap ass in here lol.....

I get it it's not for everyone, but its cool to see something else for.our platform besides the run of the mill Titan Swap/PRG spacer lift/add a leaf/etc. you see everyone else running on this site.
Thanks man, I wanted to push the envelope and do what no other xterra owner has done (to my knowledge). No matter what, it'll be a fun setup!

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Hey there, owner of the vehicle here getting all this work done. Randomly popped on here and saw this thread and thought I would respond.

I can still drive it on the street and it will be street legal. I could technically drive it everyday. However, I have another shitbox I drive daily. I am not sure how he is going to seal it up... I'm hoping it will be done next week! We will see then. There is a shock tower going across the back. I still have use of my backseats. I'm assuming the rear seats will rest against (or just about touching) the shock tower. Definitely not for rock crawling my friend. Yeah I still can, but thats not why I'm doing this setup.

I picked up his titan LT kit from IG member rocky mountain goon. I'll be running the 8" coils that came with the kit. This was a cost savings move as the rear end is costing a pretty penny... between all the parts and labor, it is significantly more than that $3382 figure. For now the 8" shock should give me about 12" of travel and I can almost match the rear width. Yeah, it's not the race kit for 17" of travel, but one day it'll be 14" up front with a 10" coil.

Roll cage one day... I'm not trying to build a race truck. My leaf springs were literally shot to hell and I didn't want leaf springs again. Thats the simple reason why I started this project.

Nice to hear from ya!

I was off with my rock crawling reference, what i really meant was a purpose built off road machine, not for daily driving. I now understand this is more of a dedicated desert runner style set up.

I mean sure you COULD daily it, but its not practical!

good luck with the build, some of my posts may have come off as thinking this was stupid, not the case. it would be stupid for me to spend this much on this particular project, but thats just me man!

looking forward to seeing the finished product!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts

In my opinion, you are doing it correct and can keep going in the future. I hate it when someone spends all their money on a cage, long travel front and then is running leaf springs on the rear. I see it all the time here in California, they dump $20K on the front and cage then just add shocks to the rear leafs and wonder why it still sucks.

It is also nice to hear you will still have doors and windows, LOL.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice to hear from ya!

I was off with my rock crawling reference, what i really meant was a purpose built off road machine, not for daily driving. I now understand this is more of a dedicated desert runner style set up.

I mean sure you COULD daily it, but its not practical!

good luck with the build, some of my posts may have come off as thinking this was stupid, not the case. it would be stupid for me to spend this much on this particular project, but thats just me man!

looking forward to seeing the finished product!
It's all good! I enjoyed reading the speculation from everyone to see what the build was going to end up like haha. Yes, a purpose built off-road machine... and yes technically I could, but holy crap the wear and tear on this money pit driving it every day would kill me. It'll be happy chilling while I abuse my daily driver.

No worries at all; I didn't take it that way. Besides, everyone spends money how they want to. If it makes you feel any better... when I was first considering doing this project, being very naive, I thought EVERYTHING was going to cost $3500. I did not realize until I had already committed to this project that $3400 figure was ONLY for SOME of the parts with no labor etc. With that figure in mind, it wasn't significantly more expensive than new deaver leafs, bypass shocks and new mounts (not going through the rear). That's also why I went with this link setup.

I appreciate it. Maybe I'll get some detailed pics of the setup when it's done and I'll make a thread about it :cool:

In my opinion, you are doing it correct and can keep going in the future. I hate it when someone spends all their money on a cage, long travel front and then is running leaf springs on the rear. I see it all the time here in California, they dump $20K on the front and cage then just add shocks to the rear leafs and wonder why it still sucks.

It is also nice to hear you will still have doors and windows, LOL.
Thank you :cool: Haha, I know what you mean about dumping everything in the front and ignoring the rear. After I did a T-swap it really showed how crappy the rear end was. But now, the t swap won't be able to keep up with the rear!

Haha, oh yeah I absolutely need all that stuff. I also wasn't willing to give up the back seat! Hopefully the only space I'm truly losing is the shock tower going across the back.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

Hey man when I made this thread I was hoping the owner would be a member on here so we could get some more Info about the set up.

So Make sure to post some pics when it's all done!!!

You don't see many prerunner style xterras (like hardly any at all....) and that's the direction I'm going with my Xterra so it's cool to see someone else's Xterra build with similar goals...

Are you running CJD titan 9" rear axle or the stock titan axle?

Btw you might already know this but Hanneman is suppose to come out with some rear fiberglass for the Xterra soon (sometime during first half of this year is what he told me) and I'm sure that would help with clearing those 37s you said your gonna run.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey man when I made this thread I was hoping the owner would be a member on here so we could get some more Info about the set up.

So Make sure to post some pics when it's all done!!!

You don't see many prerunner style xterras (like hardly any at all....) and that's the direction I'm going with my Xterra so it's cool to see someone else's Xterra build with similar goals...

Are you running CJD titan 9" rear axle or the stock titan axle?

Btw you might already know this but Hanneman is suppose to come out with some rear fiberglass for the Xterra soon (sometime during first half of this year is what he told me) and I'm sure that would help with clearing those 37s you said your gonna run.....
I will make make a post when it's all done and I've had a chance to off road with it.

I know right, not many. If you have instagram, check out rockymountaingoon. I bought the front end kit from him, and he is now in the process of installing CJD's LT Race kit... So he will have one of the ultimate front end setups soon. What have you done to your X so far?

No, I am running just a standard titan axle. His axle is badass though...

I haven't looked into glass at all to be honest. I planned on just keeping the OEM stuff and having the X look extra wide. I'd be curious to see what it looks like though. We will see how Michael will make the 37s fit with articulation.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Definitely keep us posted, I'm very interested as I was planning on having CJD install a rear Titan axle on my R51 Pathfinder as well.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
I will make make a post when it's all done and I've had a chance to off road with it.

I know right, not many. If you have instagram, check out rockymountaingoon. I bought the front end kit from him, and he is now in the process of installing CJD's LT Race kit... So he will have one of the ultimate front end setups soon. What have you done to your X so far?

No, I am running just a standard titan axle. His axle is badass though...

I haven't looked into glass at all to be honest. I planned on just keeping the OEM stuff and having the X look extra wide. I'd be curious to see what it looks like though. We will see how Michael will make the 37s fit with articulation.
Kit is almost done, just waiting on a steering piece from CJD, and it seems like March-April it’ll be making it’s way out to him for the same kit. Most likely ditching my Currie Titan 60 for his 9 inch setup as well, so if any one wants a chromoly 35 spline Dana 60 that works with your abs it’ll be coming up soon.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts