Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you have probably already seen this on Instagram but CJD Racing will be offering their 4 Link Daily Driver Long Travel kit for the Xterra that cycles 20" And is set up to run a coilover and bypass. They previously they were selling it for the Titan (and frontier I think) but just recently adapted it to make it work with the Xterra. And because this is a "daily driver link kit" you can keep the stock gas tank/ no need to move/replace it with a fuel cell.

I messaged him about cost and he said the kit will sell for $3382.50 and
"This would include upper and lower links, all frame mounts and axle mounts. Also would include all needed heims, spacers and bolts".

. Just figured it'd post this to let people know whats available for the Xterra cause we often get neglected when it comes to aftermarket for our vehicles 馃槫

Heres a few pics from CJDs Instagram

Tire Wheel Car Hood Automotive tire

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive parking light

Registered
2014 Metallic Blue X
I want to see what they're doing in the front to match that 20" of travel.

Registered
Neat. But I don't see much of a market for it. Kind of seems more like a tongue in cheek name.
Then again, there aren't any dunes anywhere near me. I've always said that I might be better suited to have a "desert" truck to ride VERY comfy in the city, since I don't get out to the trails all that much.

while thats cool and all, I dont see anything daily driver about that lol.
cutting out the rear wheel wells doesnt seem very DD.

this is for a dedicated rock crawler.

how do they "Seal up" the rear with the struts going through it like that?
Agreed.
Yay... I keep my stockgas tank! Oh... umm... about that floor board.

To be honest... its a straight up fast desert setup. There's nothing rock crawler about that as with flex, your tire would be into your shocks. I mean, mine rub the frame at flex with a tire that sticks a couple inches outside the fender. They'd have to be 7+ inches further out to avoid trashing the shocks when it flexed... and thats with just a 285/33in tire. This company is pretty much all desert racing stuff... though some of that could obviously cross over to other uses.

They could easily box that area in to seal it... but you're gonna loose a lot of space and its not going to look anything like factory without a LOT of work. My guess... they'll run it open rear hatch as a race vehicle. Otherwise, they would have mounted the reservoir much closer, so the boxed area could be 1/2 the size.

Registered
Got all excited until i saw the wheel well.
Same here. I'd love to do away with the leaf springs and run a 4 link setup, but cutting into the body like that is too rich for my blood.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And I guess that would be why no one bothers making aftermarket parts for nissan guys. A bunch of cheap ass in here lol.....

I get it it's not for everyone, but its cool to see something else for.our platform besides the run of the mill Titan Swap/PRG spacer lift/add a leaf/etc. you see everyone else running on this site.

Registered
And I guess that would be why no one bothers making aftermarket parts for nissan guys. A bunch of cheap ass in here lol.....

I get it it's not for everyone, but its cool to see something else for.our platform besides the run of the mill Titan Swap/PRG spacer lift/add a leaf/etc. you see everyone else running on this site.
Definitely pretty cool in my opinion. Hopefully these guys are still out there and haven't given up on the not-the-most-enthusiastic Nissan peeps by the time my X in not my only car. I would love to play with this kit and take the X to King of The Hammers!

Registered

Its not "cheap ass" for not wanting to waste money on mods we dont need.

While i agree that its cool to see the work being done for those that want it, this is a very niche thing.

its cool, but only makes sense for a few people, and to them its probably the bee's knee's.

it may be sold as "kit" but this is essentially custom fab work unless they are the ones doing it and have a process for it.

maybe their naming is tongue in cheek..

Registered
Why do they use dual dampers on these off road builds?
Do they run high and low speed damping in separate dampers?
Oh... and are those things just mounted to the stock body or is there some reinforcement that I'm not seeing?

Registered

It has nothing to do with that, it is a numbers game.

This is a very expensive suspension modification that is a joke calling it a "kit" or "Daily Driver". This is a cut the frame and body out to install with lots of welding and fabrication that isn't going to be done by 99.9% of Xterra owners. They are going to be lucky to sell 10 of these.

My cousin owns Dirt Designs which is a competitor of these guys and builds full desert race trucks. He finally gave up on the full custom fab installs like this due to cost, time and customers not wanting to spend money and pretty much concentrates on bolt in long travel kits as 99% of customers can't do the fab work required for these weld-in installations.

99.9% of Xterra owners don't' want or need 20" of travel at the expense of chopping up their Xterra and is why the bolt on kits from PRG, All-Dogs are the norm.

But yes, it is cool to see.

Once you drive a long travel truck on the street , turns and Freeway on-ramps with the kids in the back are very different. Body roll is pretty extreme.
Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel

The other issue nobody thinks about is noise. Go ride in one of these long travel trucks and let me know if you can even hear yourself think without headsets from the suspension and by-pass shock noise.

"I messaged him about cost and he said the kit will sell for $3382.50 and
"This would include upper and lower links, all frame mounts and axle mounts. Also would include all needed heims, spacers and bolts".
I don't see the cost of the coilovers and bypasses included in this list?

Registered

Don't get me wrong. It's cool. If I was building a purpose built desert race rig, I'd have no qualms with cutting the entire body off and throwing it on a tube chassis. But my Xterra isn't a purpose built rig, nor will it ever be. I'd love to see an Xterra running events like the Baja 1000 or even Dakar, and this would be the right setup for that. Cutting into the body like that is a bit extreme for most people out there.

Registered
No ones being cheap... we didn't even address the cost. Its simply something that isn't even targeted at 98% of us.
Oh... and are those things just mounted to the stock body or is there some reinforcement that I'm not seeing?
There's a shock hoop started in the 2nd to last picture... which isn't in the others. They actually aren't bolted to anything in the early pics. As they said... work in progress.

This lends me to believe that MAYBE its a large shock hoop that would bolt onto that frame brace... requiring no welding or fab work there... just cut body for clearance as needed. But that's just a guess. And in my head, I would think it would need a brace across the interior from shock hoop to shock hoop... then it would be plenty stiff/strong enough.

As they said.. its not finished, so can't critique what they haven't even done yet.

Registered
This kit from CJD is as much DIY as the SAS offered by Z1offroad or RuggedRocks.
And this is dailydriven friendly compared to Danny's (Groot) xterra built for desert go-fast-ness...

Registered
Has anyone measured what the 鈥渟tock鈥 rear travel numbers are for comparison? I don鈥檛 think I鈥檝e ever come across them. Front travel is pretty common knowledge on the forum by now, with various options (titan swap, coilovers, UCAs). I imagine that remote reservoir Radflos like I have plus shackles probably are an improvement over stock.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts