Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

New Xterra Owner

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  mikidymac 
#1 ·
Good Afternoon All!! Just picked up a 2006 base model with 150k on the dial and am shooting for the fences. I am from Southern Illinois and looking for the tools recommended when replacing the timing chains and guides, is there a tool rental? Just purchase new radiator and hoses, to avoid the SMOD. I have a bunch of other "regular serviced" items on the way too. The vehicle was pretty clean but I like having my vehicles in FMC condition. Planning some raptor liner for the frame and lower body to fix some minor cancer spots. Any one have any recommendations on a rear bike rack or favorite stereo, need those eventually as well. Cheers!!

#3 ·
Welcome! You clearly have done your research! I can't help with info on tools, but I did go find this video for you. This guy on YouTube is really good for "how to" videos, and I like that he takes his time and has a "do it right" attitude. Here he is doing the timing chain on an Xterra, I hope this helps.

#7 ·
OP, be sure to search here for "poor mans flush". IMO, the biggest thing on our trucks is to keep the transmission fluid changed at 30,000 miles and it will go forever. MY choice has been to only run OEM Nissan Matic S. To change out the fluid, you pull off the front grill and you will see the transmission cooler. You pull off the bottom hose and attach a long rubber hose to fill a bucket. I have a plastic bucket marked off in 2 quart levels going up to 14 quarts. Have a friend start the truck and quickly shift through ALL the gears then back to park and you tell them to turn the truck off when it has pumped out 2 quarts. You then add 2 fresh quarts through the dip stick tube. Keep doing this and all of a sudden you will see the fluid going through the clear rubber tube change from dark brown to light red. That is when you know you have all fresh fluid in the trans. Go search for a "how to" here for details, but you can see how easy it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.