Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
on line
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after my Passport recently got totaled, I'm figuring around this much to get the X I'm buying in the shape that I initially want it:

2005 SE, 29000mi. Tax, tags, title, insuance:
$22390.40

http://www.4x4parts.com/

$ 307.40 3"body lift
$ 382.50 Xterra Deluxe Suspension Package With Bilstein Shocks (AAL included)

Shrock, bumpers & rockers, getting skids at a later date

$ 2596.18

Tires, figuring 5 @ ~$150.00 for 255/85-R16s

$ 750.00

Spare rim, ebay

$ 100.00ish

All my own labor, I have a friend who owns a body shop and he said I could use a bay & tools when I want.

Total:

~$26525.00

In the future, I'm thinking new headers & a cat back, skids as mentioned.

Ideas, flames, OMG! you missed... etc. welcome.

Thanks!

Paul

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Sounds like a good plan.

That's going to be one tall Xterra.

Forgot to ask earlier... Are you getting 4wd?

Btw, you'll love that tire size. It's my personal favorite.

·
on line
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, 4wd. I'm wondering, do I need the 3" BL with that setup? I was really just including it because of the tires.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
you don't need the body lift....255/85 tires will fit with a stock suspension, you'll just have to do the melt mod to the plastic in the wheel wells to prevent rubbing, but that's really no big deal

·
on line
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I was reading about the melt-mod in the suspension forum.

Awesome, I can save a few hundred and put that towards the skid plate fund.

Is there anything else that I'm missing that's important? I'd like to have a good, solid truck that I can drive to work on the weekdays, and take out wherever on the weekends.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
I'm running the 285 75s, but the 255s look great to me--good choice. Just be aware that only a few tires come in that size, BFG MTs premier among them. There's also a Truxus, I think.

·
on line
192 Posts
Acewrap said:
$20595. Insurance is the killer. I have a 19yo daughter.
Are you sure you dont mean your insurance is 205.95 a month? I have been watching ebay like a HAWK for the last 6 months trying to find the right 2G Xterra at the price i could pay cash for(found it, just takes time), and for 20,595 you could have the pick of the litter on that site. Even a 2007 is possible within that range.

Even including shipping across the entire US you could find a deal better than that, although if it was owned by Jon Voight and there is a pencil in the glove box, then its a different story.

If your set on that car then buy it, and welcome to the club :)

·
on line
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep. I probably could get one cheaper, but this includes a warranty, delivery to my house, it's the color I want (black), I don't have another vehicle right now since my last one is totaled and they stuck me in a damned rental Mercury Mariner with no roof racks. Time is not on my side as far as trying to find a cheaper solution. Besides that, I'm an impatient bastard. I want what I want now now now! :bounce:

Back to the subject, am I missing anything important? Should I toss in some shims for the AAL?

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Welcome.

Live in PHilly for 5 years. 38th and baring st.

I maybe be looking to sell my shrock bumper, sliders, gas skid, and black panther skids. I could do a package deal if you are interested.

·
on line
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
kokopop said:
Welcome.

Live in PHilly for 5 years. 38th and baring st.

I maybe be looking to sell my shrock bumper, sliders, gas skid, and black panther skids. I could do a package deal if you are interested.
Yeah! Work up a price on what you want for the parts and PM me. I moved outside of Philly a couple years ago from 28th & Poplar to Ridley Township in Delaware County, about 15 min from the airport. I work in West Chester, and the daily commute on 76 was making me homicidal.

·
on line
704 Posts
Hey,

I hope you're bringing some lube into the dealership because this price is a straight up rape of you wallet :) I got a brand new loaded 2006 OR for $25.5 OTD which brings the total price of the car to to around $23.5K. Of course, I got it this January so in theory I was buying a last years model. I simply could not by pass:

- Towing package
- Sound package
- Additional air bag package
- Protection package

The MSRP on my car was close to $29.9K. The point is, it is a bit steep to pay $22K for a rig with miles on it. All you have to do is to wait a little bit until the '08 model comes out. Then wait until gas prices surge before the labor day weekend and you're all set -- the dealers will have incentives.

Chances are that a truck with 29K has not had its 30K inspection yet, so throw some cash in there. If I were you, I would highly consider going to www.carsdirect.com. Note, I am not associated with them but I had an awesome experience. The Internet and I am not sure if all the praises about Cars Direct are real, but they offer a pretty damn good price. I used them to check FJ Cruiser, Wrangler, Discovery and Xterra. All prices came out much lower than I could get at local dealerships. If the sales guy at Broadwalk Nissan did not go an extra mile to deliver my rig to me from another dealership, I'd get a car from Cars Direct.

You may also check out boards like this one a sit tight until somebody decides to sell a new X. It happens and usually people who sell new cars either have $$$ or really need to sell the vehicles (I have seen very attractive offers in the past).

Finally, you may want to consider an OR. It comes with a rear locker. A guy who has a 3" BL and a suspension mod could use a locked diff from time to time :)

And welcome!

·
on line
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, ok, you guys win. I'm looking through carsdirect now. Is there some way to figure out what trim level it is from the VIN? Most of the trims are blank, and I'd like to compare apples to apples.

I checked a few VIN decoders, but they seem to just come up with S; SE; X; Off-Road in the trim level field. I'm hoping the info is in there. :scratch:

Cool article with a link to a VIN decoder if you are interested:

http://www.carspace.com/guides/How-to-Decode-VIN-Numbers

Edit:

Dammit, you guys were right. I found quite a few ORs for a few grand cheaper. Thanks!

·
on line
704 Posts
Hi,

I believe that you don't have to do anything special if you use carsdirect.com. You simply select make, model and then go to the next page that will provide you a list of trim levels. The price that you get there is close to the invoice price.

After you make a selection, put all your info down and a person will contact you. Talk to them to finalize the price and other options. Also, you do not have to buy through them until you sign all the paperwork, so you can keep things dragging. Once you get a detailed print out, of the OTD price, find several local dealers and send them an e-mail or a fax saying that you are looking for this car and found it for this price. Most of them will laugh at you telling you that you smoke crack because the price is so low. Some of them may match the price or get it closer to what you want while throwing a set of options.

Good luck hunting.

·
on line
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
X will be delivered Thursday or Friday. I ended up getting a black 2005 SE, cheaper than original price. (thanks guys!) There were too many extra doodads in the SE compared to the OR, so I decided on the SE and I'm going to put in an ARB air locker in the fall to compensate for the OR's locking rear.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
Sounds like you got it. Nice. :compress:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts