Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I mentioned this to a few other people earlier and I'd really like some feedback before I get too far into this.

I've started on a new Xterra website idea. I'm trying to create a "portal" with links to all the Xterra websites like this one, all the forums, clubs, etc. I'd also like to provide other Xterra links and information like PDF copies of the manuals and mechanical information. Somewhere easy to reference.

Along with that, I've started a "profile" setup where X owners can register and have a full vehicle profile. The profile comes with a blog, pic/video hosting, signature generation for other sites and forums, and whatever else we could do that would be useful to everyone.

So I'd like to hear some ideas, or if this is something you all would be interested in using. The entire site is all free of course. Just wanting to help the X community and provide some useful tools.

Any comments good or bad appreciated. I've already bought the domain and started coding.

Thanks all,
Russell "MrBugman"

·
on line
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TXterra37 said:
Sounds sweet dude. You funding/building this site all on your own?
Yea just a personal project. Doing the coding myself and I have my own server so it's not too hard to put together.

Muzikman said:
Watch the storing of the Service Manuals. They are copyrighted material and you could have Nissan after you.
Thought about this. I'm not sure if I should ask them formally for permission or just post the copyright information along with the content.

Once I get a little more finished I'll have a prototype to show for more ideas. Thanks all.

- Russell

·
on line
2,081 Posts
Just link to the Tech site - where people can buy the day pass. Rather than illegally posting the service manuals. Unless you mean the manuals you get with your X, which are freely available from places like xterraparts.com?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
RussellB said:
TXterra37 said:
Sounds sweet dude. You funding/building this site all on your own?
Yea just a personal project. Doing the coding myself and I have my own server so it's not too hard to put together.

Muzikman said:
Watch the storing of the Service Manuals. They are copyrighted material and you could have Nissan after you.
Thought about this. I'm not sure if I should ask them formally for permission or just post the copyright information along with the content.

Once I get a little more finished I'll have a prototype to show for more ideas. Thanks all.

- Russell
I would be shocked if they gave you permission to give away something that they charge you for. :)

Take a look at the "Manual and guides" thread, it has links to all the free owners manuals and such.

·
on line
704 Posts
Why limit yourself to the X?

Create a portal for Nissans of all popular models. Put the links to forums, shops, legal resources, etc. Ensure that you have a decent search engine that can deliver precise hits.

By expanding the user base and being able to deliver precise info, you can get reputation and a greater user base. With more users, you can put up your own pay-per-ad solution and by-pass Google. Sit down and collect revenue. Once you get more revenue, throw some money at the racing team teams that use Nissans and get your name out. This can become a useful alternative to lame-o sites like Edmunds. Once you are at that point, start collecting money and saving for retirement. Find a company who wants to buy your stuff and sell it to them. Retire with millions of dollars while you're still young and enjoy a nice life :)

·
on line
638 Posts
Yeah man! I may end up selling my truck and just getting a new Frontier Crew Cab NISMO and I'd definately be down with this idea if it included other Nissans besides the Xterra. You've got a good idea, though!

·
on line
4,495 Posts
I'm with the two above. Its a great idea and could be even greater if you expand your base. Although you might get to popular and outgrow your equipment...

You could also add a donation thingie, where if you donate you get an extra perk or two. This way you can cover some of your costs and you'd be surprised on how many people would donate to things like this....

·
on line
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RiNkY said:
Just link to the Tech site - where people can buy the day pass. Rather than illegally posting the service manuals. Unless you mean the manuals you get with your X, which are freely available from places like xterraparts.com?
I did mean the free materials. No plans to do anything illegal to get myself into trouble. =)

vman said:
Create a portal for Nissans of all popular models.
I considered this as well, simply for the larger user base and those here who enjoy other Nissan models. I'm not sure yet, adding options for other vehicles significantly magnifies the pages and options I have to add. I'll look at this but it may have to be a project to expand to later.

Start a new job tomorrow but I hope by the end of the week to post an early version for you to play with.

- Russell

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I think this is a great idea, X only or all Nissans, I will be waiting for the 'beta' version

1 - 17 of 17 Posts