Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, just bought a new 2007 Xterra SE Night Armor 4X2 about a month ago. Here is my situation, I'm 16 years old, and I paid for this car myself. The reason I bought an Xterra is because they seem to last really long (and are cool) and I would really like it if this car lasted a REALLY long time. I spent most of my money on this car because I did not want to get a used car and have to buy another car when I got out of college (six years from now). So, here is what I would like to know; which Nissan service schudle should I be on? It will not be taken off-roading really at all, might make a Tahoe run a year, it dosent snow or anything where I live and there are paved roads only for the most part. It will be driven during the school year, 2 or so miles to school and then 2 or so back (I know thats kind of bad for it, but it will still do a long freeway commute a few times a week). Also, should I use a different type of oil to get maximum longevity out of this car? In terms of gas, it says you can use 87 so I've jus been doing that, let me know if I shouldent. Anything outside of what the manual says that I should keep in mind for this car's well-being (rear Diff.) ? Is there anything I should be on the lookout for (warning signs for problems to be etc.)?
And finally, sorry about the long post, when I turn the A/C on , it sort of makes a vibrating sound, almost like a rattle, but more of a hum. Its quiet enough that I don't really notice it with the setero on even in idle, but it is definitly something other than the air being pushed out by the a/c making that noise, just making sure it okay is all, the a/c really works well though (if thats important). Any other tips would be greatly appreaciated, since nobody around me has an 05' or later Xterra, and therefore has no tips. Sorry about the way too long post but I wanted to know and it would be great if you guys got back to me.

·
on line
631 Posts
WELCOME!!

first things first... any problems you have with your X, i would take it to the dealer (assuming they are a decent dealer). your brand new truck is covered under warranty so take advantage of it!

second... your young! save most of your money for schooling, so you can get a good paying job and make more money to mod the X! thats what somebody old and wise once told me, then he kicked me in the ass cuz i didnt listen.

anyways, glad you found TheNewX and have fun with the truck!

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Welcome bro. Congratulations on your new truck!

As stated in the above post, school is your priority.

As far as your new Xterra is concerned, let your dealership take care of any issues that may arise while it's still under warranty.

Don't worry about an oil change until 3,000mi.

Regular fuel is fine.

There's been a few problems that have annoyed many others on this board, including a malfunction with the VDC system (Vehicle Dynamic Control). This is a system that automatically kicks in to provide extra traction if the computer senses slippage. On many occasions the VDC and/or Slip lights will come on even though nothing abnormal is occurring.

Most of the other issues have to do with off-roading the vehicle.

·
on line
735 Posts
Unless you live in the desert, you shouldn't need to change your oil and air filter as often. the lighter maint. schedule (a or b-I forget) should be fine. When I used to fix cars back in the 90's I realized that you don't need to change your oil every 3000 miles (except for the first change) like the industry used to have us believe. If the oil additive package is still good, no reason to waste oil. I have taken apart motors on cars that were neglected and the wear inside wasn't bad. If you change your oil twice a year on a car that is driven lightly, you'll have as good a chance at getting more than 200k miles out of it as anybody else. I feel that the expense of synthetic oil is really not needed either unless you live in the arctic, run a turbo car, or have a taxi cab or delivery truck.

The biggest place where you can lose money on a new X is tire wear so watch the alignment and rotate the tires every 10k miles.

·
on line
874 Posts
mike100 said:
The biggest place where you can lose money on a new X is tire wear so watch the alignment and rotate the tires every 10k miles.

I cant preach that enough....and check the PSI often....over/underinflation is an issue. I had an '05 4x2 and I didnt do anything with tire rotation or inflation, 20,000 miles later it needed new tires....pay close attention to them.

·
on line
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your suggestions! Believe me, school is my priority, that is one of the reasons I bought the X. My parents suggested buying a new car because they said the hardest part about college for them was graduating and having a car payment while they were still trying to get settled in their field/get their own place to live. They suggested that I get a durable car that was safe, and the X and the 4Runner were the two cars that came to mind. X was a better car for me (and most it seems) and me/my dad have loved the X since it came out, but the family SUV is a 1997 Toyota Landcruiser, and we will never sell this car because it has been and continues to be so good for us (will reach 200k here soon with NO problems ever except a minor one in the ignition system @ 150k). I bought the X believing it could live up to the Landcruiser in terms of reliability/longevity, and so far, it has proven me right.

By the way, were there any Xterra sales in mid-1998? Because, when my dad went on a business trip in 1998, his friend in Colorado had an X, in my dad's still favorite color (which he calls Eurotrash yellow). It was a 4wd solar yellow Xterra, thats all I can tell you, because my dad didn't know the trim since nobody had heard about the car at that time that we've talked to. The guy said he had it to take it up to the mountains and that he was trying it out and thought it was the best SUV you could buy for the money, period. After one ride my dad was convinced as well and came home and told all of us about it. He liked it so much he almost used his company lease on an Xterra over a Lexus for a commuting only car! (like 2 hours of highway only each way, we don't get real bad weather here). My point in all this is, when my dad went to dealerships to look at the 2000 Xterra in either early 2000 or late 1999, he would ask the people what had changed since '98 and they would just give him this blank look. Did they sell Xterras in 1998? (the guy had been using his X for six months or so by the time my dad saw it so early '98) I know it was '98 for sure because there are pics of my dad and the guy using the X in all different conditions, and the photos say they were printed in mid 1998.

·
on line
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By the way, what would the Air/oil filter do for me? Because if I were to spend any money on mods now, it would only be to increase longevity/reliability-not performance. (not against performance upgrades, just not a financially sound decision for me right now)

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Im a bad influence.....but! I think the only major mod you need to get, and have in the back of the X at ALL TIMES would be a full sized inflatable mattress with a bettery powered pump and a couple blankets. Ya never knwo when you will have to camp out in the back, and it fits pefectly.

And about the AC, my truck makes alittle extra noise when it is turend on, but thats practically any car. But if your unsure if its a normal thing, go back to the dealership. And have you thought about getting the extended warrenty since you plan on keeping it for a long time?

·
on line
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks I will be checking on the warranty. Another question, since my X is 2wd, how can I expect it to preform in bad conditions such as harsh rain, or snow? How much snow could the car safely be driven in?

·
on line
13,466 Posts
I grew up in chardon ohio, the snow belt. We would get like 3 feet of snow in one night. I have a chevy s-10, with snow tires onthe back, and rear wheel drive, just like you. I drive in all kinds of weather with no problem. Just pay attention to how fast your going, dont break going down icey hills, dont speed, and more or less drive smart. bottom line. 2 wheel drive will be just fine.

·
on line
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks thats good to hear. I drive this car to school everyday, its about 2 miles there, sits for 6hrs. 2 miles back. I've heard that short trips all the time are bad for a car. How bad is this really/what can I do to make it better? Also, people have mention K&N oil filter/air filter, will these require any more or less matenence than the stock parts and are they harder to change?

·
on line
874 Posts
mcampana said:
Just pay attention to how fast your going, dont break going down icey hills, dont speed, and more or less drive smart. bottom line. 2 wheel drive will be just fine.
Maybe I just suck at driving...but i found going uphills that were snow covered in my 2wd x was next to impossible. then again 250lbs of sand in the back end fixed it on 80% of the hills...there were still 5 that I just could not get to the top and I always had to find another way....never did do snow tires on it. I imagine that would help.... :drink:

·
on line
13,466 Posts
I drove my X al last winter with the general grabbers it came with from the factory. I seriously didnt have an issue with it. And i rarely used my 4 wheel drive. When your going up a hill, you just have to get the momentum going. I dont think you are a crap driver. I think maybe i just learned alot of tricks to driving in the snow because i had no choice.

·
on line
615 Posts
Rmatzen said:
thanks thats good to hear. I drive this car to school everyday, its about 2 miles there, sits for 6hrs. 2 miles back. I've heard that short trips all the time are bad for a car. How bad is this really/what can I do to make it better? Also, people have mention K&N oil filter/air filter, will these require any more or less matenence than the stock parts and are they harder to change?
Welcome. I believe we are the two youngn's of the forum.

My X makes the exact same trip every weekday except mine is about 5-10 minutes and sits for about 6-8 hours depending on soccer/lax practice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts