Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

New VQ40 performance parts!

21K views 73 replies 27 participants last post by  Captain Kyle 
#1 ·
If any of you are interested, there is some good stuff going on right now over on clubfronter in the way of performance parts for the VQ40.

Namely a lightened/under-drvie crank pulley:
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18533
You've missed the group-buy on the pulley, but if there are enough people on here interested, who knows, he may be willing to do another one.

and an Intake Manifold Spacer:
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19333
This one is just getting off the ground now, development hasn't started yet, but it only took something like a week to develop/test the pulley, so this should happen quick. You can get in on the group buy on this one if you are interested.

#3 ·
good good.

#7 ·
SHADOW said:
How difficult an install is this?How much time?I`m definitely interested.
Install isn't that difficult, no different then any other crank pulley - I know on the titan you need to pull the rad in order to do it - but I was able to install on a frontier without having to pull the rad -

took me 1.5 hours to install - you need a 1 inch shorter belt that you can pick up your local auto parts store -
I sent you a pm

#8 ·
KillJoy LosAngeles said:
Sorry to be a jabroni here but what am I looking at, what does it do and why would I want one?

LOL, what is a Jabroni?

Either way - you are looking at an Underdriven Lightweight crank pulley for the VQ40 - the stock pulley weighs over 8 lbs and what I did was make a whole new pulley. With an underdriven ratio we are able to create less parastatic drag on your accessories (amount of energy it takes to turn them) and turn that reduction of power use into a translation of power to the tires or more hp for you guys -

Gains are in the 8-11lbs of tq and hp ranges -

William

#9 ·
KJ, you know what the "crank" is right? This being lighter in weight takes less energy to turn, and since it's attached to all external pulleys via belts, it takes less energy to have everything moving. Thus, the "spare energy" is available elsewhere throughout the range. Think of using alloy wheels as opposed to steelies..

#11 ·
Well I can say that I am deffenatly interested in getting both of those that you had posted on clubfrontier. Unfortunatly since im due to deploy in less than 20 days for 15 months, you will have to wait about a month to 2 months till I can be able to send you some dead presidents for the parts. If your still needing 20 people for the group buy, then depending on when thats done I would be more than happy to hop on with it. More power is always nice. :)

#18 ·
wperdigon said:

William
Do you have a dyno sheet to prove this??

I ask this because an underdrive crank pulley is usually :bs:

Sure you may pick up a little torque (doubt its as much as your saying), but its at the cost of slowing down your water pump (cooling problems) and slowing down your alternator (charging problems, especially on the automatic trans X's wth a lower idle speed) Been there got that t-shirt.

They add so little power on a v8 car, I hardly believe it will do anything at all for a v6. Gains are harder to make on smaller engines so figure it out yourself.
I put one on the Z28 one time, and it made no difference in the 1/4 mile at all. Gained a whopping 0.7 hp and 5 lb ft tq.
It takes around 10hp to the wheels to feel a seat of the pants difference on the street when your making mods.

#19 ·
JasonK06X said:
wperdigon said:

William
Do you have a dyno sheet to prove this??

I ask this because an underdrive crank pulley is usually :bs:

Sure you may pick up a little torque (doubt its as much as your saying), but its at the cost of slowing down your water pump (cooling problems) and slowing down your alternator (charging problems, especially on the automatic trans X's wth a lower idle speed) Been there got that t-shirt.

They add so little power on a v8 car, I hardly believe it will do anything at all for a v6. Gains are harder to make on smaller engines so figure it out yourself.
I put one on the Z28 one time, and it made no difference in the 1/4 mile at all. Gained a whopping 0.7 hp and 5 lb ft tq.
It takes around 10hp to the wheels to feel a seat of the pants difference on the street when your making mods.
In your statment you say that doing an underdriven pulley doesn't gain power - yet you said that you gained 5lbs of tq? I'm a little confused about that..

In the VQ community it has been proven over and over again gains of 7 hp and 7 tq on average - a search on my350z will show that all over the place - That being said, I should have dyno results from the frontier community soon so you will have a 3rd party independent testing done -

Also, careful consideration has been given to the components i.e. the water pump, altenator, a/c etc and from my research the amount we underdrive doesn't affect them as they still operate within the acceptable ranges from the manufacture i.e. (water pump turns 400-600 rpms to achieve the same amount of cooling at idle)etc

#22 ·
wperdigon said:
cam shafts are so expensive to make and require a special type of grinding machine, which I do not have :(
I would have been all over the pulley if it was original size, bad experiences with under driven accessories...

You should consider making a lightweight OEM pulley set for the trucks, they would do quite well, and lightening all of them would give the car a nice daily driving boost....

#24 ·
wperdigon said:
while i understand what your saying, the only benefit from a stock size one is a faster rev
Bingo, off the line TQ, most of your customers are going to be scared off by horror stories of underdriven pullies, and aren't actually looking for the power gain. But being able to hit the TQ curve much faster in daily traffic while having piece of mind is where most us would like to be :)

#25 ·
Wiggum said:
wperdigon said:
while i understand what your saying, the only benefit from a stock size one is a faster rev
Bingo, off the line TQ, most of your customers are going to be scared off by horror stories of underdriven pullies, and aren't actually looking for the power gain. But being able to hit the TQ curve much faster in daily traffic while having piece of mind is where most us would like to be :)
i have to disagree because we have made it so that there is no loss on the city driving aspects

#26 ·
wperdigon said:
Wiggum said:
wperdigon said:
i have to disagree because we have made it so that there is no loss on the city driving aspects
I agree, but can you actually deny that the alternator pulley and A/C is being underdriven because of this? My point is that while internet talk and company responses of "this will have no negative side effects" is fine, a simple search of the internet or a friendly talk to any knowledgable engine engineer will have anyone on the fence.

As I said, a quicker burst in off the line power, while keeping the OEM pulley size for piece of mind, and less of a chance of hassle at the dealer would actually sell the product.

I'm not new to the aftermarket car product industry, if you take a look at the 2.3L Mazda MZR-T industry I helped make a lot of those products happen, and have first hand experience with getting products made that the average consumer would purchase.

The proof is in the pudding, set of a poll here and on the Frontier boards of what would they rather purchase, clearing stating the differences, and see which would sell better. I already know the answer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.