Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
on line
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a lengthy talk with Greg the other day regarding a new UCA he has designed. Essentially the same, but using heims instead of urethane bushings and powder-coated black. The first of them should be ready in a couple weeks and I'm first in line I believe. I'll post pics once they're on.

·
on line
704 Posts
What is the advantage of the new product?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Hmmm, I really have to ask what the advantage would be of a heim joint on a part that has only radial movement. Polly bushings are cheap to replace if needed, heim's are not.

Did he give you the pro's of this setup?

·
on line
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't want to speak out of turn and Greg can certainly answer for his products better than I can.
I don't think there is a significant advantage other than the heims being able compensate better for inaccuracies in geometry at the pivot point. With any urethane or rubber bushing that is removed after service you will usually see uneven wear patterns. Urethane bushings compensate by compressing.
Also, these new UCA's will have a 7/8" uni-ball that will offer more camber alignment, and being smaller will allow more up-travel (stuff).

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Jason remember syndicates tc uca blow up though............was it because of his bushings or the bolts? Wouldnt the new joint help with that? I know the lower control arms have alot more movement in them than i expected. I had mine apart this past weekend fixing some bent steel from ECXC. ALL BETTER NOW THOUGH! Pays to have a friend at a body shop.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
His was bolt related. He lost the bolt. That would happen no matter what type of joint you have there.

I would be willing to bet the use of the heim is for ease of build. It's easier to bend pipe and weld in a threaded bung.

Again, not that it's bad, I just don't see the point.

On your LCA, what type of play do you have? I mean it should be loose enough not to bind, but it shouldn't be sloppy.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I have not dropped my LCA's yet, but my guess is that they are rubber bushings with metal sleeves. My guess is the play is between the bolt and the sleeve and not the sleeve and the bushing. Or the play is in the rubber it's self.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts