Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After our last trail run my truck was having a difficult time shifting into 4hi while in motion. I would have to stop completely and then engage 4hi. The gears would grind otherwise.

I put on my smaller tires, detailed it, brought it into my dealership, and got a rental Xterra. I got a phone call from them a few hours later explaining that they were just going to order a completely new transfer case.

How happy am I to have a brand spanking new tranny, and a front diff with only ~2,000mi on it. My truck's got 22K. I love new components. I also love snagging parts off the rental Xterra... lol

So yeah, chalk it up... new diff and new tranny. What's next?

·
on line
735 Posts
1) trade in?

2) putting the X on holiday interstate travel duty and grocery getting detail until they make the jeep Jk more appealing?

3) wrecking the X, buying the chassis back from the insurance co., buying a new jeep and doing a VQ-40 transplant.

4) get a prius

BTW, how is nissan about loaners.. I have a blown out strut I need ordered and replaced (mossy I presume).

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I know you said you might of had another bad front diff, I assume the TC was the problem then? The front diff is good?

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, supposedly, the front dif is fine. It's solely the tranny.

And, mike, Nissan in general is really good about loaner vehicles, especially if you purchased the extended warranty plan. Basically, if it's covered as warranty work, they pay for the loaner.

·
on line
1,891 Posts
Too bad that loaner deal doesn't transfer over when you move, for us in the military that sux so bad, especially since my X is the only vehicle between me and my wife.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah man... sorry, don't know why I was saying tranny.

Transfer case.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
I thought I read somewhere else that you had something lined up for lockers? Was I mistaken? Does this new finding eliminate that?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts