Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive always wanted a xterra and recently found a 06 4x2 off road manual one for a good price and was wondering how they are in the snow. I live in indiana and we got tons of snow this year and I am just curious how its going to handle. I was also told it has rear lockers? Thanks ahead of time for your answers. I did a search but didnt turn up any results

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont really go wheeling mostly conserned with hauling my camping gear and daily drive of 45 miles one way for work when it comes to snow.. alot of back country roads.

·
on line
412 Posts
I don't think there is a such thing as a 4x2 off road. It probably bs. Id get at least a 4x4 s model if your dealing with deep snow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think there is a such thing as a 4x2 off road. It probably bs. Id get at least a 4x4 s model if your dealing with deep snow.
I looked it up they consider it a off road edition cuz of the rear locker? Its the Internet so I came here for answers lol

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
Welcome!

yep, there is a 4x2 offroad. Look on your dash, there should be a rear locker button next to the vdc button. I would not use the rear locker much in the snow though unless it is very bad, and/or you are stuck. It can make the rear end kick out easier.

The xterra is much better in the snow than most rear wheel drive vehicles. If you get good tires, you shouldn't have a problem

I live just north of Columbus, OH and rarely need to put it in 4x4 in the snow

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome!

yep, there is a 4x2 offroad. Look on your dash, there should be a rear locker button next to the vdc button. I would not use the rear locker much in the snow though unless it is very bad, and/or you are stuck. It can make the rear end kick out easier.

The xterra is much better in the snow than most rear wheel drive vehicles. If you get good tires, you shouldn't have a problem

I live just north of Columbus, OH and rarely need to put it in 4x4 in the snow
Awesome so youre sorta familiar with what was up this year haha. Ill look for tnose. Buttons when I check it out again later today. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm just about as far north as you can go in Indiana and got a 2011 Pro 4x about a month ago after my Envoy spectacularly ended.

Haven't had much accumulation of snow since then, but it's been fine in RWD in the 4-6" max at a time.

Seems very capable at this point.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
I thought that the only OFF ROAD 2WD were made in 2005 and not even the full year?

Edit: I was wrong. Both 2005 and 2006 sales brochures show a 4x2 Off Road. Why you would ever buy one new is beyond me. The price difference between 2WD OR and 4WD OR was $2500.

However, for $500 less than the 2WD OR you could get a 4x4 S model..... If I was standing there choosing one....so wait the "OFF ROAD one is 2WD and costs more than the 4wd one?"

1 - 20 of 31 Posts