Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Xterra Pro 4X
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a new to me 2012 Pro 4X with auto a couple weeks ago. Been lurking planning my mods, and figured I'd introduce myself.

The truck is rebuilt from a minor collision, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to afford it. It is used, but not abused, with only 106k on the clock. Repair was done well, and I have been busy cleaning and detailing.

I got it to do some off roading, and also to tow my 3rd gen Miata in a year or so.

Maintenance is first; the KO2s on it have a lot of tread but are about 5 years old and have some weather cracking. So I'll probably do that mid year, and I have some new struts coming for the gate, which apparently doesn't stay up in the cold...

Planned mods:
Rear bumper with hitch, maybe in a year or so.

Working on making some recovery points for front and rear myself, from all the instructions and ideas on here. Also assembling a tool kit and recovery equipment.

Truck came with an OME lift already.

Some sort of cargo control system in the back.

Other than that, I plan on driving it to work when I can't ride my bike, running some easier trails, taking a class or two, and just having some fun. I am unbelievably fortunate to have two of my dream vehicles in the garage while only in my mid 30s, and having a resource like this forum helps me pick the right vehicle and take care of it and mod it at a price I can afford.

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Automotive side marker light Tire

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
686 Posts
Welcome. I grew up in the Springs and live in Aurora now. CO is a great state for the Xterra.

Do you have a trailer hitch now? I have a like new one I am trying to give away but all of the Xterra owners I know already have one. I do not have the plug and play wiring harness as I pulled just the hitch for my tire carrier rear bumper.

If you have the OME rear leaf springs it may be able to tow the NC. I am not a towing expert but it was a bit touch and go with the OME lift and a 4k lb trailer with surge brakes. I believe trailer brakes are required on anything over 3k lbs in CO.

Do you race the miata?

·
Registered
2012 Xterra Pro 4X
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome. I grew up in the Springs and live in Aurora now. CO is a great state for the Xterra.

Do you have a trailer hitch now? I have a like new one I am trying to give away but all of the Xterra owners I know already have one. I do not have the plug and play wiring harness as I pulled just the hitch for my tire carrier rear bumper.

If you have the OME rear leaf springs it may be able to tow the NC. I am not a towing expert but it was a bit touch and go with the OME lift and a 4k lb trailer with surge brakes. I believe trailer brakes are required on anything over 3k lbs in CO.

Do you race the miata?
PM sent on the hitch, I would love to have one.

Whatever trailer I get or create will have brakes, and a brake controller in the truck. Trailer and car will be around 3500#.

I currently autocross the Miata, and heading towards time trial, thus the risk of breaking it goes exponentially higher, that is why I need a trailer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Got a new to me 2012 Pro 4X with auto a couple weeks ago. Been lurking planning my mods, and figured I'd introduce myself.

The truck is rebuilt from a minor collision, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to afford it. It is used, but not abused, with only 106k on the clock. Repair was done well, and I have been busy cleaning and detailing.

I got it to do some off roading, and also to tow my 3rd gen Miata in a year or so.

Maintenance is first; the KO2s on it have a lot of tread but are about 5 years old and have some weather cracking. So I'll probably do that mid year, and I have some new struts coming for the gate, which apparently doesn't stay up in the cold...

Planned mods:
Rear bumper with hitch, maybe in a year or so.

Working on making some recovery points for front and rear myself, from all the instructions and ideas on here. Also assembling a tool kit and recovery equipment.

Truck came with an OME lift already.

Some sort of cargo control system in the back.

Other than that, I plan on driving it to work when I can't ride my bike, running some easier trails, taking a class or two, and just having some fun. I am unbelievably fortunate to have two of my dream vehicles in the garage while only in my mid 30s, and having a resource like this forum helps me pick the right vehicle and take care of it and mod it at a price I can afford.

View attachment 141389
Also live in the springs / in my mid-30s.... let me know if you ever need a second set of hands when you go to mod, happy to help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts