Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

New to Xterra, 2006 Solar Yellow S

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Renegade 
#1 ·
Lost an ordinary vehicle to hydroplaning/ditch full of water in June. Both my wife and I started searching for a replacement vehicle. She emailed me from her easy chair to mine with photos of cars she liked from Facebook Marketplace; I had searched both Craigslist and Marketplace. Her first choice, unbeknownst to me, was the same as my first choice: a 2006 Solar Yellow Nissan Xterra, located 190 miles from us on the other side of Illinois. Contacted the fellow, and finally arranged to meet four days later at his house. He told me that there were some things wrong with the vehicle, namely: the rear driver's door was not working, the passenger airbag light was constantly blinking, and TPMS light always on. Before we started our drive over, I found this site, and did a little research. Found out about SMOD one half hour before we left; worried the entire drive over to Quincy. The Xterra presented very nicely, with 119,000 miles, and drove great. We were hooked. Bought the car, licensed it in Quincy, drove home. We have never owned a Nissan, never owned an SUV/Truck, had never looked twice at an Xterra. Absolutely love it.
Since July purchase, we have: replaced the original radiator, immediately. Changed fluids in transfer case, front and rear differentials, changed oil twice, replaced small wiper blade on back with longer blade, as per forum recommendations, changed brake and power steering fluids (used the turkey baster method suggested on forum for power steering!), reduced air pressure in tires from the rock hard 44PSI the gentleman had when we bought the car to a more friendly 35PSI, replaced two TPMS sensors. I have used forum advice to make the passenger airbag blinking light disappear, to remove the inside rear door panel from the door so that I could open the door and replace the lock mechanism (the YouTube videos did not much help, as the actual lock was bad on this door), and found the second glovebox quicker than most, apparently. I reduced hood shake by adjusting the rubber bumpers on the hood itself, as another forum post suggested.
I have also learned from the forums:
No posers, please.
Sarcasm not always appreciated.
A beer or two after a successful modification/repair is suggested.
A bigger jack and taller jack stands may be necessary.
Xterras are pretty tough.
Gas mileage is a big topic, though not sure why. (5500 miles since we bought Xterra, 19.35 MPG average so far).

I cannot wait to learn more from the forums. Glad to have this resource.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
As for the MPG we have achieved: when I drive it, I usually keep the revolutions under 2,000 rpm. Don't have anywhere I need to be in a big rush. When our teen driver drives it, the mileage plummets to about 16MPG. Her mileage driven and her MPG is included in the 5000 miles plus already driven. As many forum members have noted, one does not buy an Xterra expecting gas mileage. Gas is a small expense when one buys the vehicle at a good price.

#6 · (Edited)
A couple more thoughts since my original post. This is a 4x4 Xterra S, not 2x4. Have never owned a 4WD vehicle, nor even one with all wheel drive. Looking forward to seeing what winter brings with this vehicle. Curious about VDC as well. Took the wet box off of the roof rack to clean the roof (probably the first time it had been done), and found it easy enough. The front air dam on the roof? Gave it a try, but backed off when bolts seemed unwilling. Relied on forum advice for both. All switches/accessories work on the vehicle. About the only thing I would like to change is the lower driver's seat upholstery, as it is scuffed, but not torn or with holes in it. I suppose I will need a bigger ladder to clean the top as thoroughly as I would like; even at 6 feet tall, the roof is a bit daunting at wash/wax time. Car started life in Arizona for three years, then found its way to a big heated machine shed garage in Illinois, with an older owner. There were zero dead bugs in either the transmission cooler or the actual radiator, so I am not sure if he drove it much on the highway. The missus likes the two grab handles on the passenger side, the grandkids like the raised rear seat seating position, and who does not like that blazing yellow color? School bus drivers must weep in envy. Finally saw a photo of the rear differential breather modification today, which made clear to me how it might/should look if that modification is done. Everybody else: please keep posting so that I may learn more. Thanks.

#10 ·
Lost an ordinary vehicle to hydroplaning/ditch full of water in June. Both my wife and I started searching for a replacement vehicle. She emailed me from her easy chair to mine with photos of cars she liked from Facebook Marketplace; I had searched both Craigslist and Marketplace. Her first choice, unbeknownst to me, was the same as my first choice: a 2006 Solar Yellow Nissan Xterra, located 190 miles from us on the other side of Illinois. Contacted the fellow, and finally arranged to meet four days later at his house. He told me that there were some things wrong with the vehicle, namely: the rear driver's door was not working, the passenger airbag light was constantly blinking, and TPMS light always on. Before we started our drive over, I found this site, and did a little research. Found out about SMOD one half hour before we left; worried the entire drive over to Quincy. The Xterra presented very nicely, with 119,000 miles, and drove great. We were hooked. Bought the car, licensed it in Quincy, drove home. We have never owned a Nissan, never owned an SUV/Truck, had never looked twice at an Xterra. Absolutely love it.
Since July purchase, we have: replaced the original radiator, immediately. Changed fluids in transfer case, front and rear differentials, changed oil twice, replaced small wiper blade on back with longer blade, as per forum recommendations, changed brake and power steering fluids (used the turkey baster method suggested on forum for power steering!), reduced air pressure in tires from the rock hard 44PSI the gentleman had when we bought the car to a more friendly 35PSI, replaced two TPMS sensors. I have used forum advice to make the passenger airbag blinking light disappear, to remove the inside rear door panel from the door so that I could open the door and replace the lock mechanism (the YouTube videos did not much help, as the actual lock was bad on this door), and found the second glovebox quicker than most, apparently. I reduced hood shake by adjusting the rubber bumpers on the hood itself, as another forum post suggested.
I have also learned from the forums:
No posers, please.
Sarcasm not always appreciated.
A beer or two after a successful modification/repair is suggested.
A bigger jack and taller jack stands may be necessary.
Xterras are pretty tough.
Gas mileage is a big topic, though not sure why. (5500 miles since we bought Xterra, 19.35 MPG average so far).

I cannot wait to learn more from the forums. Glad to have this resource.
I had (briefly)that drivers rear door lock issue on my 2006 s 4x4 which I’ve now had around a year now …. I’ve had more issues than you but mine had more miles (around 150k , now around 165k+/- ) & it was always driven up here in the north east … the latest issues were exhaust from head pipes back , and luckily a simple thermostat replacement to fix running hot and no ac after 10-5 mins , and I need to replace tpms’s at next tire change which isnt far off . Back to the drivers rear door , it one day wouldnt unlock . It was then I realized they only unlock method was via power as trying to manually switch it didnt work .. this really irked / irks me as on an older vehicle “powered” things tend to go at the worst times .. anyways I forgot about it after a day or so as I don t use back doors often . Then about a week later I just clicked the unlock button as I forgot about it being broken .. . as soon as I hit the button I remembered … but to my surprise it worked , and has been working fine since … this is a big deal for me as I never get lucky when working on any of my vehicles the last 5-10 yrs!!never mind it just fixing itself lol. But over the year or so Ive had it there’s been some expensive repairs (some I should’ve done myself but I wasnt sure of the issue and once a mechanic had it and diagnosed I folded ) the exhaust I mentioned , a brake line which I had all the parts for a repair but wanted the full line replaced . The shop didn’t know that’s what I wanted (though I know I told em) and patched it like I would’ve and charged a ton for it … then a coil replaced , which I don’t think it needed as a week later it died again in the same manner and it was the exhaust, nothing to do with ignition system … had exhaust done by a retired ( very busy , now home mechanic ) who really gave a deal by comparison to shop estimates … shop said like $1700 as a estimate , he did it all including o2 sensors for $600 !! Welded most joints and all ! Anyways it’s running great and at normal temp now for the first time since I’ve gotten it ,& it’s pretty great . I mean Ive got valve cover gasket(s) well on there way out , getting the burning oil smell now and then but oil level staying at full now for a month … so putting that off for a bit … plus I need an alignment and there’s a rattle in the front end now and then . The rattle is baffling , Ive look quickly a few times and can’t find anything loose. When tires get changed I’ll have alignment and the front end check…. I could go on but am sure you’re tired of reading by now hehe… congrats on your purchase of the 06 x. It may break down but if my experience is any kind of warning/sign .?.I’ll tell you before the exhaust was replacedand it was dying … I tried driving home with it skipping and sputtering … when it finally stopped it made a noise like rods were gonna fly through the block and a smell like I’ve never smelled before … and I have smelled about every kind of burning car odor there is …..I basically knew it was done, my x was never gonna run again …yet... My sister found this retired mechanic and he said he can fix it and when I got it back no other issues from that drive trying to get it home … so I’d say it’s a tough vehicle all around to survive that while it was at the point of overheating too( was before the thermostat replacement) ….. sorry for the run on comment , again lol… good luck and congrats again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.