Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

New to the Xterra Community

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Another_Greg 
#1 ·
Just wanted to stop in and introduce myself. My name is Ryan and I just picked up my first Xterra. Actually it's my first nissan. I've been a jeep guy since I can remember but now that I'm older and spend more time exploring the woods then rock crawling and wheeling it was time to get a vehicle that would suit my needs. I looked at newer jeeps then my current 98 zj but were more then I wanted to spend. That left me with three choices. The Xterra, a 4runner or an FJ cruiser. In my neck of the woods (Massachusetts) the Toyotas have well over 200k, and older. So I found this 2010 Nissan Xterra offroad trim with 100k on it and well in my price range. So I pulled the trigger! So far I've had it for a few days now and man what a difference from my Jeep. Ill stay active on the forums I'm sure I'll need them!
Thanks
Ryan

See less See more
#4 ·
I really appreciate it! I was looking at a 2013 pro4X but the miles was to high for me. But it did have a 6 speed which I wish the 2010 had. Now I'm trying to figure out if mine is a worry about SMOD or not. Seems like some people say 2010 is still ans issue while others say 2010s are safe.

#9 ·
Well went on our first xterra trip this past weekend to Vermont. The xterra worked great, the better power and mpg then my old jeep were definitely a plus. We have found out that we need some new rear suspension. Bottomed out a few times when we were fully loaded ans when we hit dips fast enough. So I'm looking at kits. I see All Dogs Offroad has a kit with bilstiens and upgradeable to their own leaf springs. I donr know alot about that company. I also see OME kits. I know OME from my jeeps (had a kit on my old xj) I'd like to give the smaller company business but not sure if the quality stacks up to the OME.

Also found out that I need a drawer system out back or at least put down some rubber on the floor to help keep the cooler and tote we bring in place. Thats no big deal tho. Overall the trip was a blast and the xterra did great! Looking forward to some modding and some more seat time!
Ryan.

#10 ·
Hello Ryan. We have basically the same setup but 2011 and noticed the same rear bottoming issues you have on our first long trip fully loaded.
I didn't want a lift and wasn't sure how much I really wanted to spend at the time. We went with a Deaver Single Add-a-leaf which helped a lot with the body roll and made a big improvement in stability but it still bottomed out pretty bad and was annoying off-road. I decided to buy the Timberen SES bumpstops and it was one of the best things I have done for the X. The improvement is huge and no more harsh bottoming. This past weekend we towed our two Seadoo's 800 miles with about 400lb tongue weight and not once did it have any harsh or bad bottoming out, it was solid and really impressed us. I figured even if we do decide on a lift the Timberen's will still be a good upgrade.

#11 ·
Great choice and welcome! When I first bought my 2011 Pro 4X with 95k I had new stock shocks installed, but it still bottomed out when I had a full camping load, and sometimes even when I didn't have a full load. I installed the Timbrens bump stops in the rear, and it eliminated the problem. Since then I have installed the OME medium duty suspension, but I am still glad I have the Timbrens!

#16 ·
New to forum, but not new to the xterras i have a 2015 s this is my second X......i have been reading a bunch of nissan X forums and i just want a yes or no to this question. Will 265/75/16 fit on my 2015 X without any cutting or melting. Please just a yes or no answer will they fit

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.