Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Xterra back in june, $6,100 for an xterra s 2wd, it only had 76k miles on the clock. Since then ive been coming to the forum probably once a week since then and decided to join today. So far i have done a lot of maintenance, but i recently bought the Rancho quick lift. They were on rock auto for $166 a piece so i had to jump on them, the specs that rancho gave was that it would do 1 3/4 inch lift but ended up doing about 3, im pretty happy with the ride, now i just need to order some shackles. I also installed a new deck myself, did all new rockford fosgate speakers, and 2, 10 inch skar audio subwoofers. I've also done the radiator bypass and added a secondary trans cooler. Im just waiting for tax season now to order wheels and tires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice you planning to tow heavy loads or what’s the thought behind the secondary trans cooler?
Just that on some of the forums as i was reading there was an issue with the trans cooler thats built into the radiator, it would leak and mix transmission fluid and coolant sometimes blowing the trans, it mostly affected 2005-07 ones. I mostly did it as a piece of mind thing. But i havent had any issues with it yet, and the transmission seems to be responding better since i did it. it might be keeping it cooler then normal, but im not sure.

·
Well then...
811 Posts
Just that on some of the forums as i was reading there was an issue with the trans cooler thats built into the radiator, it would leak and mix transmission fluid and coolant sometimes blowing the trans, it mostly affected 2005-07 ones. I mostly did it as a piece of mind thing. But i havent had any issues with it yet, and the transmission seems to be responding better since i did it. it might be keeping it cooler then normal, but im not sure.
Dope, I forgot about SMOD some how. Well enjoy the rig and the forum.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Welcome!! Nice rig. Before you go with shackles, inspect your leaf springs. The OEM ones have a tendency to sag or break a leaf, or both.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
680 Posts
Depending on what you are going to use your X for.......
The secondary cooler you added really isn't going to do anything as it is just dumping all of it's heat into the stock cooler and pretty much zero cooling at slow speeds. The correct fix is to just buy an aftermarket radiator and keep the stock trans cooling system as it was designed to be.

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
518 Posts
Depending on what you are going to use your X for.......
The secondary cooler you added really isn't going to do anything as it is just dumping all of it's heat into the stock cooler and pretty much zero cooling at slow speeds. The correct fix is to just buy an aftermarket radiator and keep the stock trans cooling system as it was designed to be.
I believe he bypassed the stock heater/cooler and replaced with just the external cooler.

Reactions: Zthompson

·
Banned
756 Posts
The correct fix is to just buy an aftermarket radiator and keep the stock trans cooling system as it was designed to be.
Dude, plenty of guys have bypassed the radiator for a stand alone trans cooler. Might not fit your standards, but his method is just fine.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
680 Posts
Dude, plenty of guys have bypassed the radiator for a stand alone trans cooler. Might not fit your standards, but his method is just fine.
Dude, look what I said....depends on how you plan to use your Xterra.

There have also been guys that have overheated their transmission doing the bypass. At slow speeds there is little to no air passing over the cooler so no heat transfer. So like I said, the correct way is to keep the radiator in the loop.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Welcome in...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts