Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Which Option should I choose?

• Wait until Nissan has incentives on the Xterra, or price drops.

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Wait until a used 2013-2014 Manual Pro4X in Night Armor shows up

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Buy the used 2013 Metallic Blue

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is John and I live in the Albany, NY area.

I currently own a 2004 Xterra in silver with a 5spd stick. Love the truck, it's just getting a little long in the tooth. (90k miles, needs a new gas tank, rust just showing up on doors)

I have been looking for the last 2 months for a new or used Xterra to replace my current one. I have realized that while I love how simple the X is, I want a few creature comforts. For this reason, I am only looking at 2013-2015 Pro4X Xterra's with a 6spd stick. I do occasionally off-road, but mostly use the truck as a commuter, camper, haul vehicle. My wife and I will be starting a family soon, so I want something a little bigger than our current model, and a little more reliable and safe. I liked the silver color, but am wanting something different. My favorite color is Night Armor.

There are a few 2014 Night Armors by me, but they are priced very high. With no incentives going on the last 3 months on Xterras, I find it hard to justify 30k on a car. Most of the used Pro4Xs are also priced very high, with 2011-2012s priced at 24-25k.

I have located a used 2013 in Metallic Blue for a good price with minimal mileage, but my wife put a bug in my head and now I can't decide! Should I continue to wait for a potential car to show up with the exact color I want (used), hope Nissan offers incentives before the models close by are gone, or buy the Metallic Blue Pro4X? :confused:

Are there any differences in paint quality between Night Armor and Metallic Blue? I know there are some peeling paint issues across all models. Is one color noticeably easier to maintain?

Thanks for reading! :geek:

·
Registered
435 Posts
You are going to have a hard time finding incentives for the Xterra. I was looking for one last year and had no luck what so ever with incentives. The Xterra is a vehicle with a cult following (us), but to Nissan, it's their bastard child. I have yet to see a commercial where they use it. The X-trail was replaced by the Rogue. You will pass out if you hold your breath for incentives. Good luck though. I wish I had a blue X. Dealer were ****s so my father and I walked out.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
paint color is a hard thing to "get used to" so get the one you want the first time or you'll always want it.
This is quite true. I have a thing for black cars and have since I got my license only owned black cars. There was one exception AND I never got used to it.

You are going to have a hard time finding incentives for the Xterra. I was looking for one last year and had no luck what so ever with incentives. The Xterra is a vehicle with a cult following (us), but to Nissan, it's their bastard child. I have yet to see a commercial where they use it. The X-trail was replaced by the Rogue. You will pass out if you hold your breath for incentives. Good luck though. I wish I had a blue X. Dealer were ****s so my father and I walked out.
I haven't been in the market recently, but Nissan DOES (or at least DID) offer great incentives on the X. In my experience its more in the begining of the year.

Here's a thread I posted in the beginning of last year for example: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61275

I also bought my 2010 in the beginning of the year as well.

I've found the best time to car shop, especially for SUVs is during Q1. Sales are usually sluggish (people blew most of thier money during the holidays, its not tax return time yet) and you're nearing the end of winter - and 4x4 SUVs for the snow are typically no longer on people's minds.

The only reason I would think that Nissan might MIGHT not be doing any incentives is the recent drop in gas prices due to the oil revolution here at home. But even that's a long shot. The X is pretty long in the tooth and the 2nd gen design is almost going on 10 years. Its not competative other than as a value proposition for its price.

On a side note, what creature comforts do you want? When I bought my Xterra I was able to get a new 'X' trim model for less than a 1 year old 'S' model. If all you really want is bluetooth and nav, you can add that for less than $700 after market.

Personally I would wait until the new year and shop for a new one.

Also since you aren't in a rush - one thing I like to do is tell the dealer they have an instant sale if they match my price. I also qoute (usually over email, sometimes phone) multiple dealers. Should they feel they can sell the car on thier lot for more, that is fine. I will wait, they can order my car and have a garanteed sale. For reference I got my 2010 X (auto 4x4) new for $500 under invoice + all inventives + 0% financing. Before tax it was $19k.

Lastly, negotiate the price of the X WITHOUT mentioning you have a trade. Once you have a price set, then talk about the trade. The trade is an area where dealers can make a better deal on thier end. (Offer you more on trade, but less on the truck, or vice-versa - so the net of the transaction is on thier favor.) On a 10 year old X, you won't get too much for trade likely anyway. But at least you'll know, negotiating the purchase price first, that there's no "fat" built into it. When I bought my 2010 X, in 2010, I was trading a 1998 Jeep. I negotiated on the X first, and when it came time to tell them about the Jeep - they said "Well, best we can do on the Jeep is $1,000 since we are going you a "deal" on the Xterra". Bullcrap. But at least I knew where they stood. I decided on a quick sale via CL for $3k. You'll likely do better on your old Xterra - but just know this going in and think about a private sale.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
i used to hate white cars/trucks.... a few years ago i leased a 2008 silverado Z71 in white... while i wasn't keen on the color, after a few months, i loved it! and now, i would have no problem owning a white vehicle!!

I have a night armor X, and love it!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
wait....I have always wanted my X to be yellow, although I love my night armor, yellow stays a head turner for me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input guys! Looks like the opinions are all tied up!

I have decided to reapir the current Xterra I drive in hopes of increasing its longevity and/or resale value. I am still in discussions with the aforementined Blue Xterra. Its too far for me to just drive and take a look (3 hours) but with only $7500 miles, it has to be near mint. If I can get a lead on selling mine for $5500-$6,000, I may jump on it. I've only been offered $4500 from most places as a trade in.

Will let you know how it turns out!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I say why not get even a older off road edition 05-10. They still come with the same locker and 6spd options. You can still find them with around 50k on them and priced under $20k.
Also I would stay away from the 05-07s they have issues with the timing chain guides most of the issued were gone 08+
Personally when I bought mine I was a noobie and had no clue they had a locker on the offroad/pro4 otherwise I would have looked for one. All I knew is I wanted white to hide scratches better from wheeling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
4th choice

Hi John,
I'm new too. (My X is still on its second tank of gas.)
When I saw your post I thought I'd chime in because despite having several Nissan dealers in Rochester I drove to Albany to buy mine!
I don't want to break any rules by blatantly plugging a particular dealer here so PM me your phone # and I'll give you a call.
Not only was the deal terrific, the purchase was the most positive experience I've ever had with regard to the car business (and at 67 I've had considerable experience).
Regards, Bill

·
Registered
533 Posts
I bought a solar yellow x because it was the only manual I could find. I hated the color. Hated. Now I love it, I think they're awesome.

·
Registered
126 Posts
In short my advise to you is to not compromise on what you really want. It's your money that you're spending, Do not spend it on something that you're not entirely happy with. You know how they say that actions speak louder than words? Well, these are the words that describe the actions I took earlier this year.

First I signed up for the Nissan VPP program due to my employer (IBM) being a supplier to Nissan USA to secure upfront pricing (invoice minus 3% or somesuch, I think). You then have 45 days to execute. Then I got a loan approved at my credit union for $35k (just to be safe). Again 45 days to execute. Finally I put my BMW ///M3 up for sale and got an offer for $10k.

When I had all my ducks in a row I contact a local dealer and had them search far/wide for a 2014 Pro-4X 6MT, any color, and the Nevada tow package. One was found in Maryland -someplace in Night Armor and they wanted $1k to bring the car over to Tampa, FL. At that point I had a decision to make. Add an addt'l $1k for a 'right now' truck or order one from the factory at my specs. The quoted wait time was 60-90 days, IIRC. However VPP pricing would not apply.

After getting advise from my trusted counselor, the pillow, I decided to order the truck since I knew what I wanted and everything else would not be "it". Even if it meant a couple $K's extra. Never forget that regardless you're paying for the whole thing.

Then a funny thing happened on the way to the forum...err dealer. I got a call that another search revealed one truck that would be available in Ft Lauderdale in Night Armor but no tow package at noon the next day if the current would-be purchaser would not come through. :rockin: No $$'s for the transfer back to Tampa. 2x:rockin:

In 2005 I used the same VPP program to get a G35 instead of a Subie Legacy GT Spec B because I didn't want to haggle. While there's nothing wrong with the G35, it just never really made me happy to drive it. It was 'just OK'. And yes I paid off the same $30K-ish for a just-OK car and pined every time I saw a subie go by for the one I really wanted. It's not worth it.
:withstupid:​

·
Registered
167 Posts
I bought my xterra two weeks ago now, they were having the model year end clearance event and the price was $4000 all 2014s. That sale was on for the whole month of September. If you're patient I'm sure a dealership in your area will have something similar to get rid of the 2014s.

·
Registered
50 Posts
There is a 14 xterra in night armor in a stick sitting on the lot near my house in Massachusetts. It is at Kelly Nissan in Beverly. I would love to get it but that is not going to happen right now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just to update (long overdue)

I had just about given up hope of finding an Xterra for a reasonable price, when a new 2014 came up locally towards the end of October. Through lots of negotiations (and a few strokes of luck) I was able to get the EXACT car I wanted.

2014 Pro-4X in Night Armor, with the 6 Speed Manual. Even better, I was able to get the dealer to pay for Katzkin Leather to be installed, all while maintaining a price well under MSRP. Could not be happier with the vehicle! And now that Xterras are discontinued, I feel even better about the purchase.

I am excited for the future mods I will do to the vehicle and grateful for help I will receive from this forum.

-John

·
on line
660 Posts
The dealer's playbook is to screw you on one or all of the following:
1. Trade in Value
2. New Vehicle purchase Price
3. Financing options (interest rate, etc).

Go in knowing what your realistic value is for all of the above.
1. Go to carmax and get a quote. Print out KBB pricing.
2. Use various sites to determine what the fair market value is for vehicles. Pay as close to invoice as you can
3. Get pre-approved financing through your bank first. Watch the number of credit inquiries though, but I've had dealers offer us downright insulting interest rates through 5th rate banks and I have excellent credit

It's all three or nothing. They may try to payment close you, or give you a good purchase price, but will jack you up on something else.

Finally, your best weapon is to walk out. Make them sweat over night if you have to. You can call back interested in making a deal, but it's on your terms. Never give them your keys. Never sign a thing until you get it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pics once it's warm out!

I assure you it took so long to buy because I know how to not get taken :)

1.79% financing (less than my local bank), 6k trade in on my 2004 Xterra with nearly 100k miles, and leather seats installed. On top of that, I got an extra $1500 off MSRP.

Considering I couldn't get more than 4.5k from anyone else for the trade, I was stoked. Leather is a $1500 value ($1000 if I were to do it myself)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts