Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

New to the Group - 2011 P4X with 68k

729 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Shifty Powers 
#1 ·
Hello all. Recently joined the X community (Xmmunity?) with my recently acquired 11' P4X.

So excited to start modding and do some Overlanding/light off roading.

Unfortunately, my rig is back at the dealership already after a P0430 code kept popping up. I even reluctantly bought an extended warranty (which I negotiated the price down on) but it conveniently doesn't cover cat converters (so lame).

But spoke to the GM at the dealership and he said they would make it right.

I guess my concern is, after you replace the cats that need replacing, what is going to stop this from happening again?
What is the root cause of the cat failure in these engines if it isn't structural (like something smacking it)?

Has anyone done anything to remedy this problem on your 4.0 so it doesn't come back? Too many issues to isolate? Too many questions and I should shut up now? Got it.

Thanks either way errbody. Happy to be part of this community and glad I found this forum. :D

See less See more
#2 ·
cats in any vehicle will only last soo long... some longer than others due t initial build quality.
I guess what im trying to say is no, there isnt really anything you can, or should do to prevent this from happening again.

while 68k isnt alot to wear out a cat, it is almost 10 years old, and even though the miles are low, that doesnt mean the engine didnt run idle alot, OR, due to the low miles, if someone only ever drove it to the corner store and back home ( or whatever but you get the point) that can cause an issue becuase the cats never get up to optimal operating temp.

low miles doesnt always translate to problem / maint free.

and WOW that is some creative Fine print if the warranty doesnt cover cats.. i mean whats the purpose of it if it doesnt cover a common wear item?

good score though on the low mile X, hopefully after the cat issue is resolved it'll treat you well for many years!

#3 ·
cats in any vehicle will only last soo long... some longer than others due t initial build quality.
I guess what im trying to say is no, there isnt really anything you can, or should do to prevent this from happening again.

while 68k isnt alot to wear out a cat, it is almost 10 years old, and even though the miles are low, that doesnt mean the engine didnt run idle alot, OR, due to the low miles, if someone only ever drove it to the corner store and back home ( or whatever but you get the point) that can cause an issue becuase the cats never get up to optimal operating temp.

low miles doesnt always translate to problem / maint free.

and WOW that is some creative Fine print if the warranty doesnt cover cats.. i mean whats the purpose of it if it doesnt cover a common wear item?

good score though on the low mile X, hopefully after the cat issue is resolved it'll treat you well for many years!
[/QUOTE

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, it is a 10 year old vehicle, so stuff does go wrong. Got my fingers crossed that this is the worst of it for now.
I've joined this group, an Xterra Facebook group, the Reddit subgroup and been watching a million vids on YouTube.

And isn't that just convenient that the warranty didn't cover cat converters? The service tech at the Nissan dealership said its because cats are required by Federal emission standards. The implication being that they aren't some thing mechanically integral to the functioning of the vehicle I suppose?

Anyway, Thanks. Can't wait to get her back and on (or off) the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.