Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

New to the Forums...

967 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  roXterra 
#1 ·
Hello, my name is Mike and I am from Washington State. I have a 2015 Xterra S which I bought new. My wife and I are planning some extended road trips next year including the Alaska Highway, so I'm trying to maximize the storage in the vehicle. We will be towing a small tear drop trailer, so the Xterra will hold most of the emergency gear. So I've officially roXterra'd out the vehicle. I've installed the MOLLE window panels, the low profile roof rack, and the Sherpa mount. I could not be more happy with the customer service I received from Robert. I am not a car guy, and he was patient with all my questions and screw ups. (Evidently there is a front and back to the roof rack, who knew?) His communications were top notch, and I received everything in a timely manner. All his products are well thought out and assembled. I highly recommend his products. Moving forward, I have a WAM winch bumper ordered, and I'm looking at what winch to buy. I also plan on installing a new rear bumper. This forum is fantastic and I'm learning a lot browsing it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome Mike!
Great start and setup. Ceiling nets are great for jackets and hats and cold weather things, easy and quick to get to when weather comes in.

I don’t know the WAM bumper, you may find info on which winches fit, Warn makes great winches and Smitty works for some too, both make a variety of winches, 10.5k lb is what’s good for Xterra, some people get 12k.

There are many cool accessories.
front bumper and rear lead to suspension need for support of that heavier load.
2 inch rear lift in front and back made my experience nicer.

Rain and mosquitos are guaranteed in Alaska, and they prefer tourists.

#3 · (Edited)
Other trip storage/helpful ideas. Sometimes the small things make a lot of difference. Test and tune them on small trips, so by the time of the big trip all is how you like it

1) bigger pouches (aka "dump pouches") like the camo one. I use the camo one for rags, but all the pouches can be just pockets for anything. Black one is smaller, keeps its stiff shape more, I use that one on most doors too. Draw strings closes the top if needed.

2) bottle holder (in temp place) mesh bottom, great for airing out a bottle for example, rather than water drying to the bottom of the container (or staying at the bottom)

3) door panels holding zippered or open pouches. Toothbrush/personal things... and on rear doors, quick access in the dark. Unless your tear drop has a bathroom too? 😀

4) Driver side (and passenger side front) organizers (Molle panel, barely visible, holds the bottom dump pouch too), zippered, holds things closed or opened, small notebook, electronic devices (like phone charger battery bank), pens. Bottom one for me holds small garbage generated during driving. Plastic bag lined. The wider closed pouch holds many plastic "shopping" bags). Tall one could hold clear plastic bags. Mine holds a mini notebook and small things like batteries.

5) deer whistles. One on each side of the orange headlight part, one just above Nissan logo, red-double-sided-3M-tape secure, lasts for years. These should reduce the animals jumping in front of your car. Whether they work sometimes, always, or never, it's not much $ investment and it can make a difference. A horse took out my first Xterra, a deer made contact with the stock bumper on the red Xterra, no damage, but the following California deer took out the stock bumper totally. Many other close calls or just deer stares from within 6 ft of the road/Xterra. The middle one actually makes an audible noise (to us) when driving, that's why it's in the middle where I can't hear it. These whistles in general are supposed to work above 35mph

6) air compressor. I like Viar 400p. Mine is mounted behind the wheel well, on a Viar mounting plate. The plate is welded to the frame and Viair hangs upside down. Other locations are inside engine bay (different models like ARB) or just in a bag inside. Sooner or later you will need an air compressor.
Nothing is better than newer tires on a big trip! Like within 10k miles.
I had a tire come off the rim (just once, in the dark, early morning, nothing wrong with the tire previously), quick leaks, slow leaks, unknown reason pressure drops

7) You will have wet things, dirty things.
The stock basket can store dirty things and mildly wet ones, and dry them eventually.
I use this area especially on shorter trips and 2 months long trips too, when it's full of dirty clothes, it's time to do the laundry. Or for those soaking wet things that have no other place to be put.
The roof rack can hold tied rags and dry them in the sun.

8) extra lights. These little guys are just 1 inch reflectors but they throw a big punch. The Baja Pro S2 Spot (double as bright as Sport S2) are held with stock bolts, are 1/2 lb each, with adjustable tilt and sideways swivel too (mine is bottom secured with red 3M tape too). Not for road use, but you will be tempted to light up a dark highway, this is the right spot for Spot lights which have the reach and brightness to make a difference. More lights (and bigger diameter) mean more light volume, but after mounting these, my light needs were satisfied, I will visit the lights need in the future but for now this is all I need.

with Lights on

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.