Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey fellas, just picked up my 07 Xterra Off Road 6-speed and so far am a fan. I'm a former Nissan/Infiniti Master Tech that has changed careers and am going through pilot training right now with my sights set on Delta airlines. I will say I had the unfortunate event of my cat internally falling apart and causing an issue (the first day I had it :( ). But it's at the dealer right now awaiting the parts I ordered to come in. I referred to a discussion from this site about aftermarket cats and picked the highest rated one so hopefully it will work out with fitment. I will say this goes against my better judgement as I'm a die hard OEM parts only guy with my vehicles (from my experience less issues) but pilot training isn't cheap and I need a running vehicle right now. Well guys that's me in a nutshell hope to learn some things about everyones experiences with these vehicles.馃嵒

Registered
Nice! I like the yellow a lot. Sorry you ran into issues on day 1 o_O

I too had cat issues with the exhaust; seems somewhat common. Enough to warrant threads and videos at least. In my case the driver's side primary cat completely came apart and clogged the secondary over time. Did cats seem like a frequent problem during your time working with Nissan? I also had to help with an Infininti that had a below emission efficiency issue.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
During my time at Nissan I hadn't had any issues with the cats coming apart on the VQ40, just the normal P0420/P0430. I'm surprised no one has chimed in and asked why its at the dealer and why I'm not doing it myself. Well I'll go ahead and spear head that. In the pic above you'll see my Altima and the Xterra and probably the front of my camper. I'm living out of my camper right now during training and my tools are down at my home base of Myrtle Beach. So I'm getting a little bent over by this situation but so is life....
Its funny when I went to the dealer to see the estimate he also mentioned the multipoint inspection. I just said yeah dont worry about that and listed off everything the truck needed (from when i inspected it prior to purchase), and he just laughed saying I mentioned everything on the report.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Also, anyone recommend any good brand of cheap tires in stock size? My rears are chopped to hell so I'm going to replace all 4. I found some called TRAILFINDER ALL TERRAINS, anyone have any experience with these?

Registered
2006 Xterra SE
Welcome! It's really great to have a (former) Nissan Master Tech on the board, I'm sure you've got loads of experience that would benefit many members.
Yeah being away from your tools sucks for anyone who like to do work on their own vehicle.
Your X looks nice and clean!

Registered
No tire suggestions at that price point. Wouldn't expect them to last long but if they get you by for a while might be ok.

Registered
Welcome in...

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies, I'll do some research on the K02's. I prefer Michelins on cars b/c of experience with customers and what they experience. I have 200k miles on my Altima (purchased new in 2012) and have always run the stock Continentals so I'm a believer in quality tires, but right now I need a good bang for your buck tire and I think the ones I listed above will be the ticket. Overall the reviews are great, a little mixed with noise but I'm BIG on maintenance. Always correct tire pressure, rotate every oil change and keep it aligned. I'll post up what I experience, I have pretty high standards so hopefully it will pan out. 馃殭

Registered
Look a the Pirelli Scorpion 2 plus tires. I just put them on my yellow 07 off road. They are very close to the now discontinued OEM Goodrich TA's. They run quiet too.

Registered
Regarding BFG K02 - I'm three sets in on two different vehicles and they have lasted me 37k, 35k (and counting) and just a hair under 40k. No real wheeling, just highway and city but for the money they are great. I do rotate and balance every 5k when I change the oil. As a side note when I reach 40k on the set that's at 35k now I plan to switch to BFG KM3 - not cause I mud, cause they look bad ass!!!

Registered
Dutch350: . I'm a former Nissan/Infiniti Master Tech
Welcome to the forums.
I'm sure your technical knowledge will be much appreciated.

Reactions: HanCholo
1 - 13 of 13 Posts