Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing my Daihatsu Rocky. Daihatsu Rocky photos

I have been looking at Xterra's. My question is: do I need the Off Road package or is just the 4WD going to be good enough for back roads and trails. I value the skid plates and the rear locker of the Off Road, but don't know if I really need them.

Thanks,
Greg

·
Banned
756 Posts
Judging from your Rocky photos and the fact that you're asking this question, I'd say you do not need a rear locker. You should know by now if you need one. That being said, why not go get an Off Road? Seems like you know this answer already....

The stock 4wd and traction control system on the Xterra is pretty stout. I've been through some gnarly stuff (for me) and have never needed a locker. Others swear by it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That is kind of what I thought, but wanted to hear it from an owner. I will look for an Off Road, but if I find a good deal on a 4WD I will consider it.

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
For the ultimate xterra offroading package it's difficult to beat a Pro4X

Nevertheless, most people will find a 4x4 xterra with abls is more than capable for their offroading needs.

I own a 2014 Xterra S 4x4 and I've never felt lacking in regards to my xterras capabilities.
Then again, I look at obstacles as something to go around rather than over.

Ps the factory p4x skid plates can be purchased new from nissan for a rather low price and can be bolted in place onto a non pro4x . No, they are not a heavy duty item, but they offer more protection than nothing at all.

Reactions: Brunnie

·
Well then...
810 Posts
I’d look for an OR/P4X, but if the right deal comes along I wouldn’t hesitate to get an X or S trim again. Truck kicks the crap out of everything I’ve ever put in front of it. Once I got a real lift, bigger tires and gave it better approach angles with aftermarket bumpers - I’ve never wheeled her as hard as when she was near stock. Even then, she just went.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Looking at those pics I think whatever X you end up buying you'll find yourself staying in 2wd most of the time.

I'd get the best deal you can find and go from there. You can always upgrade later if you need to.

I mean mine started as a 2wd .. . now it's 4wd, titan swapped, db lifted and with an M226 w/ e-locker in the back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those pics are great. Why are you replacing the Rocky?
Parts availability. Currently not running. Might be throttle position sensor (might not, it tests ok, I think). Cannot find one.

Low import numbers to US, so no motor swap kits were developed. If I could swap a maintainable motor in, I would. The transfer case is married to the transmission, so not as easy as a sammy. People have swapped in the entire drive train from a 4runner. Motor, trans, transfer, diffs, drive shafts, hubs, and brakes. The best solution I have found is to move on and get an Xterra......

I have a line on a Off Road 6spd. It is being held for me. I just need to find the time to get it. 2400 mile round trip. No airports anywhere close to it.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Parts availability. Currently not running. Might be throttle position sensor (might not, it tests ok, I think). Cannot find one.
WHAT????? Rock Auto doesn't stock parts for them?? :eek:
Oh the shock and horror!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts