Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

New Tires with New PSI Calibrate TPMS?

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  satown210 
#1 ·
I am tire shopping and am curious what happens if I get a tire than runs a higher PSI? How can I recalibrate the TPMS to recognize the new "normal PSI?"

I know a lot of people don't like the TPMS but mine has always functioned normally. I want to keep the system in place and functional.

#4 ·
They trip when a tire hits 30. No "average" involved.
38 isn't enough to cause any sort of high pressure issues. I was thinking in the 50 or 60+ range to get them to screw up. 38 is only 3 over the original spec of 35. And it is most worried about going 5 PSI under spec.

Don't think you have much to worry about. the light will come on when you drop 8PSI instead of 5PSI.

#6 ·
They trip when a tire hits 30. No "average" involved.
38 isn't enough to cause any sort of high pressure issues. I was thinking in the 50 or 60+ range to get them to screw up. 38 is only 3 over the original spec of 35. And it is most worried about going 5 PSI under spec.

Don't think you have much to worry about. the light will come on when you drop 8PSI instead of 5PSI.
Close... 28psi.

Well I had the new tires set to 40 PSI. I get a tire solid tire light, no flashing and no beeping. Light is on due to overpressure.....
Wrong. The light is probably on because when the tireshop mounted the new tires they busted a sensor, or if you put 5 tires on, the spare got a sensor and one of the 4 mounted wheels is missing it. The light does not/will not light from overpressure. The light only comes on for pressure UNDER 28 PSI, or a system/sensor fault. Go ahead and read your owners manual, and the FSM if don't believe me.

#7 ·
I read the manual and it does not say anything about overpressure. However, I am seeing it. I have seen it before too. 40 PSI and I get a solid light, no flashing, no beeping. Set it to 35 and light is off and all is quiet. Drop to 28 psi or less and it flashes, beeps and then goes solid.

#8 ·
I read the manual and it does not say anything about overpressure. However, I am seeing it. I have seen it before too. 40 PSI and I get a solid light, no flashing, no beeping. Set it to 35 and light is off and all is quiet. Drop to 28 psi or less and it flashes, beeps and then goes solid.
I'm telling you they do not light up for over pressure. BTW, I've run mine at 45PSI for 5 years now, sometimes at 50 PSI. You have a broken sensor or a problem with the system. Your light is NOT on because of overpressure.

#15 · (Edited)
I found a bit more. It seems there were changes between 2005 and 2006. The FSMs are different when it comes to TPMS. The '05 FSM during troubleshooting mentions to check if a tire is at 64 PSI.... I know mine aren't that high, but that tells me that the sensors are looking for some sort of overpressure. Maybe I have a sensor that when is reading too high when inflated to 40 PSI.
Your last sentence. If it is reading high when it really isn't it might be reading ok when it is low. As in just one sensor is acting up.

#17 ·
So I spoke with a Nissan service guy and tech that seemed to know what they were talking about. They said that some of the 2005 Nissans will throw a tire light when "over-filled." Over filled being anything Higher than appx 6psi of the door sticker.

They said the system was designed to alert of an overheating tire. It monitors an overheating tire not by temperature, but by air pressure. In the case of over-heating, higher than normal air pressure. They said in 2005 the system was not smart enough to realize that if all the tires are reporting higher than normal pressures it did not mean all 4 tires were over heating.

The techs said they were researching if the BCM could be re-flashed, the sensors could somehow be recalibrated, or if a different sensor would cooperate. He added that the thought process according to Nissan was that if you replaced the tires, you should be replacing them with a similar tire build and would have almost the same required pressures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.