Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to upsize to a 285/75/16 tire. My OE tires of course are 265/75/16. Weight is my concern. The OE tires weigh 40lbs. The lightest tire/tires I can find that interest me are Yokohama Geolander MTs = 52lbs (side note they are only C load rated) or Goodyear Duratracks = 54lbs. Everything else is 60+ lbs. Any thoughts or am I over thinking it? It just seems like adding 20lbs at the end of those front axles could add some serious stress. Thanks in advance for any opinions ...

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
I want to upsize to a 285/75/16 tire. My OE tires of course are 265/75/16. Weight is my concern. The OE tires weigh 40lbs. The lightest tire/tires I can find that interest me are Yokohama Geolander MTs = 52lbs (side note they are only C load rated) or Goodyear Duratracks = 54lbs. Everything else is 60+ lbs. Any thoughts or am I over thinking it? It just seems like adding 20lbs at the end of those front axles could add some serious stress. Thanks in advance for any opinions ...
33s arent going to add serious stress. You're overthinking it.
Search for tire threads and youll find plenty discussing this in depth.
Also note that C rated Duratracs are notorious for getting puncture. If you get them you'll want E rated unless you dont leave the pavement.

·
on line
2,263 Posts
I would recommend staying away from the Geolander MTs unless you don't mind buying another set in 20k miles.

Don't get me wrong they are a great tire and hold up very well for their price but they are directional and are a very soft rubber.

I just placed an order for the MT/R Kevlars :)

·
Super Moderator
4,539 Posts
I, too, must make a tire purchase in the next few weeks.

I would agree that one should avoid the Geolander MT if tire mileage is important. Years ago, I ran Geolander ATiis which gave me more road mileage than anyone anticipated and were surprisingly good in rocks. [Alas, that tire is no more.] A friend bought a set of Geolander MTs at the same time. He really liked them off road but had to replace them at barely 20,000 miles.. My Geolander ATs, with substantially the same mileage but made from a harder compound, still had half tread.

I am not considering MT tires. My X is a daily driver with no more than 20% of its mileage off road. Besides, I hate mud.

Whether or not to buy "C" or "E" rated LT tires is a decision which, to me, is actually driven more by availability of 3-ply sidewalls than load rating. A "C" load rating is more than adequate for even the most heavily loaded X. In my opinion, an "E rated" tire is too stiff for the weight of our rigs which downgrades highway ride below the level my tired old bones will tolerate on the 585 mile drive from my current home to my home town. This stiffness also makes for a tooth loosening ride even on the smoothest gravel road, forcing one to air down for even the shortest run to a campsite or fishing spot. However, there are no "C" load rated AT tires with 3-ply sidewalls that I could find for 16" rims, so if I want 3-ply sidewalls my only choice is an "E" load rating.

I must decide whether a 3-ply sidewall is more important to me than ride comfort. There are a lot of sharp volcanic rocks in my corner of the state, widely reputed to be tire killers, and also sharp debris from logging operations. While I never had a sidewall tear on 2-ply sidewalls in 47 years of offroading in the SoCal mountains and deserts, the Rubicon, Baja, or Moab, I not sure I want to test my luck on the rocks in my new area.

That being said, I've had to drive the 1200-mile round trip to my home town three times in the last three months, stopping along the way only to pee and refuel. "E" rated tires would probably turned an otherwise comfortable drive into a grueling experience. [YMMV, I'm an old fart.]

Decisions, decisions . . .

Although there are more reports of punctures in "C" rated Dura Tracs than the "E" rated version, many of the punctures in the "C" rated tires appear to have been from being impaled by roots, etc. in terrain much different than mine. My past experience is telling me that 2-ply sidewalls will probably be fine for my application unless I get crazy stupid on the trail.

However, if I choose to take my chances with the volcanic rock and opt for better ride comfort of a 2-ply sidewall, the largest "C" rated aggressive AT tire for 16" rims is the LT265/75R16, specifically the Goodyear Dura Trac, Kelly Safari TSR, and Cooper Discoverer AT3. Of these, I have become a fan of the Cooper Discoverer AT3, which is remarkably similar to the old Yokohama Geolander ATii that I liked so much.

As of right now, my choice for replacement tires is either the 2-ply sidewall LT265/75R16-C Cooper Discoverer AT3 or the 3-ply sidewall Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx, available in both LT265/75R16-E and LT285/75R16-E.

Hope my rantings help clarify the OPs decision.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I wheeled all over CO with P Rated Dest A/Ts and P Rated Discoverer ATPs without a flat. Although, the sidewalls of my Dest A/Ts were looking pretty rugged towards the end of their life but they were fine and still safe... I would not go higher than a C load on an Xterra and just use a little caution or buy a tire warranty.

·
Super Moderator
4,539 Posts
My current tires are P rated (came with the rig). I haven't found much nice to say about them off road, but nothing particularly horrible either. I think a "C" load rated LT tire is a good match for an Xterra and an "E" rated tire is too stiff. However, there are no 33" "C" load rated AT tires for 16" rims. If one needs a 33" tire, other than the high priced BFG AT "D" rated snowflake tire, an "E" load rating is the only choice.

In my case, I have to choose between 3-ply sidewalls for strength with an "E" load rating or 2-ply sidewall with "C" load rating for ride, which then limits me to a 32" tire.

The rational side of my brain says the LT265/75R16-C Cooper Discoverer AT3 would be the best tire for my particular needs, but with 2-ply sidewalls. The tire lust side of me says 33" Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx with 3-ply sidewalls but an "E" load rating. I'll let you know which side wins.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I've been running E load Duratracs (265's and going up to 285's with the next set) and 1.5" wheel spacers for 2+ yrs and haven't had any issue with the steering or axles (including 2 Moab trips and wheeling around home). The steering componants and axles are fairly robust on the X. I wouldn't worry about it too much and just go with the tires you want.

As for ride quality I like the E loads I have. All depends what pressure you run them at. A P load tire near max pressure will ride hard and like crap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts