Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I have a simple question but didn't want to make a fool out of myself at a tire shop. I'd like to get bigger tires (now I've just got the stock tires on the S model). When I get larger tires (285's) will I need to do the melt mod before I get them installed at the shop so I can drive it home, or will it be driveable without the mod just until I get home to do the mod. Thanks for your time!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
You can drive it (as long as you are sticking to stock wheels), you will just rub the plastic. Doesn't cause any ill effect (in the short term).

·
on line
3,050 Posts
patch21 said:
Hey everyone! I have a simple question but didn't want to make a fool out of myself at a tire shop. I'd like to get bigger tires (now I've just got the stock tires on the S model). When I get larger tires (285's) will I need to do the melt mod before I get them installed at the shop so I can drive it home, or will it be driveable without the mod just until I get home to do the mod. Thanks for your time!
Which tires are you going with?

·
on line
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd like to get BFGoodrich All-Terrain's or the Rugged Trail that comes with the OR. I realized how small my tires look after browsing this website for 5 minutes! Does anybody have any suggestions or pros/cons between these two tires? Most of the driving will be on-road with a little dirt trail action here and there. Thanks!

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Don't get the rugged trails. Even though they are cheaper put on a set of BGF AT's.

·
on line
60 Posts
265/75/16

For what it's worth:
I was debating on going to 285's, but opted for the standard OR size (265/75/16) in a Yokohama MT. It made a huge difference in the look of my ride, and didn't cost me any noticable gas mileage loss or speedometer change. You won't have to mod the fenders, and you still get a bigger tire that looks really good compared to the factory S model tires.

·
on line
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone! I'm at just over 22,000 on my Long Trails, do the Rugged Trails get about the same wear and tear? How about the BFG A/T's?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
miles said:
muzikman said:
You can drive it (as long as you are sticking to stock wheels), you will just rub the plastic. Doesn't cause any ill effect (in the short term).
What about long term
At best you'll just wear the plastic down and maybe put a hole in it. At worst you will wear the edge of your tires down (the outside edge is what rubs). There is also the annoyance factor.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
muzikman said:
miles said:
muzikman said:
What about long term
At best you'll just wear the plastic down and maybe put a hole in it. At worst you will wear the edge of your tires down (the outside edge is what rubs). There is also the annoyance factor.
Did you notice a big difference in gas mileage when you switched from stock trails to bfg atko's 285's?
How is the highway driving with 285's?

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I lose 3 to 5 mpg (About 100 miles per tank) with the 285's compared to stock. If I do it again, something like woopig sooie has done would be on my list of what to do. The BFG AT's are certainly a durable tire and has outstanding traction. I have like 25K miles on them and they look new. MC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts